G.I. Kre-O, Kre-O, MegaBloks CoD and LEGO discussions

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa

Seen some sightings on FB mega bloks groups...selling for 9.84 I believe and the container is part of box...just a cardboard wrap around it and some exposed...assume all the parts are inside.

I will likely get a few of them...

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The name change is only for the adult oriented lines from what I understand. A few of the sets from Halo and Destiny had changed a couple months ago.

NSA's kid is going to have an amazing army.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
The name change is only for the adult oriented lines from what I understand.

Maybe so. They even changed the logo to "Mega Construx" on their collectors site, i.e. the "boy" lines... Halo, Destiny, CoD, Star Trek, Turtles, etc.

Even though I have probably a dozen CoD sets yet to be built, I can't wait to see what new stuff they're going to roll out at T/F next month.

CoD has been taking a backseat at retail lately (completely absent from Target and Kroger in recent months), leaving only Wally & TRU if I want to buy them local. I hope that's not indicative of things to come. Halo and Destiny are ok for spare parts, but as someone that doesn't play the video games, they aren't enough to hold my interest without the CoD military sets. Fingers crossed.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Target only buys a few sets a year in store and Walmart a couple more. Tru has the most in a physical store since they get exclusives, but Amazon is definitely where to buy.

I think the name change is good for new customers since it separates the lines from the YUGE Mega Bloks. Lego has Duplo.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Saw the intermodal sets at Walmart yesterday. Actually look pretty cool. If I was really into MBs I could easily see myself having CoD-Dudes duking it out with the TMNTs.

On the LEGO front, saw the first physical leak for the Series 17 CMFs. Corn Cob Suit, FTW.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Goddamn it, I'm tryin' to buy LEGO and then MEGA comes around and sucks me in again with these.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I've got the series 3 April, and she's a butterface. I imagine the series 4 one will be the same.

The humans in this line really are pretty weak.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I bought two series 3 bags this morning, feeling the bags trying to eliminate the bulky figures that clearly weren't April. Of course, I ended up with a pair of the loser robot in a suit with a weird Krang shirt... WTF.

Why don't they just sell them like the Halo figs (or like the turtle figs in the tiny boxes) where you can actually see what you're buying? Yes I know the answer is because now they have $7 of my money they'd never have gotten otherwise... but they burned a lot of goodwill for their ill-gotten seven bucks.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Turtles do not have codes on the blind bags like Halo to figure out what you are about to buy or does nobody track them online?

Edit: Google is your friend.

Codes below for Mega Bloks TMNT Series 3 Blind Bags!
Finally found these guys! With the whole box of 24 still there, I was able to confirm all the ratios.
Codes are very faintly embossed (not printed) on the back of the bag along the outer edge of the left hand side, usually near the center or bottom. They’ve varied between cases in the past, so you may find some codes not listed here. Always feel for unique parts to confirm!
A29066MM Raph (1/6)
A30066MM Mike (1/6)
A02076MM Leo (1/6)
A04076MM Kraang (1/6)
A05076MM Don (1/8)
A06076MM Leatherhead (1/8)
A07076MM Triceraton (1/24)
A08076MM April (1/24)

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm a deft hand at blind bag finger-banging, so I usually go that route. I think I tried the codes once, not sure if they worked, though. I just assume codes are batch-specific and generally useless, much like LEGO's. Playmobil's actually work.

Still just dregs of the first three series around here. Walmart Online has S.4 listed, but out of stock. Guess I'll just keep an eye out.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Nerds keep an extensive list of the code changes for Halo figures online, usually in the same post, so you find the set of numbers for the box sitting in front of you and it works every time.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
All I'm saying is that I've not had a lot of luck with them. On the topic of blind bags, the lack of leaks for CMF S.17 is pissing me right the fuck off.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Turtles do not have codes on the blind bags like Halo to figure out what you are about to buy or does nobody track them online?

Edit: Google is your friend.

Codes below for Mega Bloks TMNT Series 3 Blind Bags!
Finally found these guys! With the whole box of 24 still there, I was able to confirm all the ratios.
Codes are very faintly embossed (not printed) on the back of the bag along the outer edge of the left hand side, usually near the center or bottom. They’ve varied between cases in the past, so you may find some codes not listed here. Always feel for unique parts to confirm!
A29066MM Raph (1/6)
A30066MM Mike (1/6)
A02076MM Leo (1/6)
A04076MM Kraang (1/6)
A05076MM Don (1/8)
A06076MM Leatherhead (1/8)
A07076MM Triceraton (1/24)
A08076MM April (1/24)

That's pretty useless. My Series 3 figures have two different codes of A02086MM (not even on the list) and A04076MM, and they're both Kraang. And April is uber-shortpacked. That's just great.

Hopefully the pack-in quantities improve with S4 because 1-in-24 April is bullshit.

I had great luck with codes on Joe and TF Kre-O figures, but then they stopped printing them altogether. I don't give two shakes about turtles, just need some girls for fodder, and MB lines are woefully short on females.

Last edited:

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, I've seen 4-5 different sets of numbers for a single series of Halo. Thankfully the uber nerds are thorough, dedicated and the community is large for that property. I've easily acquired every figure I've wanted no matter how rare with 100% accuracy.

The funny thing is I have a much harder time finding the desirable Halo Heroes since scalpers can see what they are.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They should really do a CoD blind bag line. Back on the topic of turtles, I see that they're doing vintage-based figures in tubes now. The Baxter Stockman looked pretty ace.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I got a couple of those last year. The accessories are alright

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
My point is that Mega is out creative thinking Hasbro at every turn when it comes to action figures. It just shows that every argument of why Hasbro was or was not doing something was bullshit. A third rate building block pirate has come along and is schooling them on how to produce modern soldiers.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
It's revisionist history to imply that hasbro doesn't know how. PoC and beyond showed us they are fully capable of producing impressive 4" figures of the highest order.

That being said, for some reason, they don't think there is a market for high-quality 1:18th military...... either WM doesn't want to support it - thus no widespread traction, the price-points would be too high, lack of media tie-ins, etc. There are a myriad of possible reasons hasbro doesn't produce 1:18th military en-mass anymore, and I don't presume to know exactly what market forces have driven that decision. However, I am certain that they very much know how and for some inexplicable reason choose not to do so.

Mega is clearly schooling them on how to do small-scale brick military though. MB CoD is what Kre-O Joe should have been, and I believe that had they started from scratch with Joe first, it might have been. But by the time they started doing brick-scale Joe, Kreo TFs and their cute little very popular kreons were hitting their stride. So they made cute little kreon Joes, and I'm sure it made sense to them at the time. But in hindsight, that obviously was a poor choice for Joe.

But not even MB has been able to crack the lego code. While I like MB sets more, from a market perspective, lego still has the market share. And MB has much lower margins. MB MSRP prices are typically less per brick, and virtually every set is routinely 40-60% off at TRU and Amazon, with 75% off clearance 6-months after release being a virtual guarantee. This does not happen with lego (at least not with any regularity or on a line-wide basis).

So I don't think MB has all the answers either, but clearly they know something about making really fun military bricks. But the longer they are owned by Mattel, the greater the odds of that getting screwed up as well.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I saw that video on Jang's channel, but didn't watch it until now. I'm not even into CoD and I dig that thing. Going with a lightweight foam for the canopy is pretty smart considering how they did the suspension lines. I have worries about the material's longevity, though.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Mega will never beat out Lego and there is nothing they can do about it. Go to any Lego forum and do a search on Mega if you want to see why. It's worse than Playstation vs Xbox...

I'd be curious to see what would happen if Hasbro released a 1:32 non-brick Joe line.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
If this theoretical 1/32 line had MB/1985-style articulation, I'd totally go for small-scale Joes. I'm a sucker for new scales, but if they try to go 5 PoA or something, that's a non-starter. I didn't collect MASK back in the day for that reason, and I'm not starting now.

I've never ventured into the depths of lego forums, as I assume the hardcore lego guys are merely snobby/euro versions of the ubiquitous redneck hot-wheels-guy. That's a level of drama I can live without.

Same with Xbox and PS4 forums... I'm a PC gamer, so they would all hate me in principle, and I would laugh at all their GPU's. It wouldn't end well. :)

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
You ever see someone asking for help identifying a part that turns out to be non-Lego? The fucking snobbery is unlike any other collecting I've encountered.

No, but I've heard tales. A lot of those types on /lg/.

Toy Fair has started, and while I haven't seen an Mega stuff yet, LEGO's minifigures have me on hard.

Last edited: