G.I. Kre-O, Kre-O, MegaBloks CoD and LEGO discussions

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mega has introduced a "Beyond" series.... which appears to be a non-licensed line of astronauts, underwater colonies, and futuristic city sets. Appears to be tons of civilians, and most look to be made using CoD/Destiny construction (yeah!).

Seriously, I don't even know if we're getting new CoD sets, but I'm seriously stoked about the customization potential of this Beyond stuff. And I'm proud of Mega for having the balls to create something to compete with lego-city in the non-licensed brick arena. Don't know if it'll work, but I love that they're trying.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac5Er_TQFQA[/ame]

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Beyond seems to be created from kid's drawing if I understand it correctly. I've seen the kid holding his drawing up next to the tram train thingy. That Moon base and lander look great, as does the underwater reef scene they had built out. Makes me want some COD astronauts and frogmen now.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
The civilian in the wheelchair makes me think we're going to get some neat accessories, and all the unmasked heads and normal clothes will really help improve the usefulness of the line for me making custom stuff. We might actually get some parts worthy of making some Arab tangos or Charlies too.

Anything to keep from having green vs tan!

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Civilians also make zombies much more desirable. I wonder just how much of the American chunk Mattel can snatch from Lego if they start pumping out cohesive City lines. Everything from construction crews to police men are better with their 1:32 action figures over square mini-figs.

Did you notice the price creep? I noticed it this past year, but now it's definitely a thing with the HALO Wasp being priced at $49.99. Fairly small vehicle and only 2 figures.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
I read on some FB Mega Bloks groups that BEYOND will not be a theme for sets at all...just a marketing . No clue if that is true.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I'll be a seriously sad panda if none of that civilian stuff makes it to market.

Just looking at some of the other toy fair videos of all the other MB lines, there seems to be a real lack of vehicles and big sets like in the past. Halo, CoD, Destiny, Turtles... they're mostly very small vehicles, mechs, and troop packs. No big tanks, choppers, HQ's, or other playsets. CoD is getting a Willys Jeep which is cool, but for the most part, the reveals seem very.... tame for lack of a better term. Maybe "lackluster" is what I'm looking for.

And I guess they just gave up on Star Trek? I really don't like ST, but some of the sets had good fodder. I figured they'd make some other sets of non-OG trek, like Next Gen or others. Did it not do well, or was it a limited-time engagement?

Aside from the Beyond, which now seems questionable, I didn't find much to get excited over. I guess I'll slowly open all the stuff I bought on clearance last year? WTF Mattel!

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The good thing about Mega is that they have a habit of releasing sets throughout the year with little or no warning. Lego always releases their small sets this time of year, so maybe Mega is following suit and for some reason didn't show sets for later this year? That or maybe we just get less since there are so many damn lines now like Pokemon and Minions?

My guess is they are really focusing on the brand internally to get it up to snuff with QC to take a shot at the big L. Mattel has a winner, now they just need to polish it. Makes sense with the name change and the QC improvements I have witnessed over the past 2yrs.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Maybe... but if this is a show to get retailers excited about ordering a year's worth of product, what they displayed was just sad. Unless feedback from retailers said that all they wanted was high-margin, low-cost small sets, then this was a dud showing.

I'd like to think that there is something big that will drop mid-year, but what did CoD get last year that wasn't announced? Nothing I can recall. The arctic troop pack shown last year just dropped a few weeks ago. Still waiting on the Office Zombies from who knows when. Zombie Nuketown has been shown on their site for six months, but I've never seen it available anywhere.

So at least from the CoD perspective, we've been trained to expect less than we're shown, not more. And if that's true, it's going to be a lean year, but I'd love to be wrong. All I can say is that the Beyond stuff better not be a big tease ;)

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
It does appear we're getting some single-pack carded figures for CoD, including a pilot, minesweeper, diver, arctic guy, and a different version of a character that came with the riverboat. Several have pieces I can use, so this is a welcome surprise.

I also watched a video that stated there was a good chance that there was another CoD display, as there were for Halo and Destiny, but no photos are available. So maybe something more exciting than these little sets really is in the works. Of course, the guy in the video was a millennial idiot, referring to the willys jeep as "a WWII variant of a humvee". I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
He's just a redeco of the Harrier pilot as far as I can tell.

Try not to listen to the video, as the guy is a total millennial stoner fucktard. He has no clue what the mine-detector is.

I fear when that generation is in charge.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_8ISgfP62A[/ame]

Last edited:

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The P-51 Mustang was one of their surprise sets for COD. I sure hope the big box stores not wanting to carry COD since the mom petition hasn't killed the line beyond figures and small sets. My Walmart looks like it has most of last year`s line now, but it took them until Christmas season to get stuff like the Bradley.

Sadly, it doesn't bother me all that much since there are not many vehicles I'd buy beyond an MRAP, T-72 variant or of course an A-10. I just pick up figures as I find ones I like since they are cheap and do not take up any room.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Tan team gets a choppa this fall.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Same helmet as the Apache pilots and I wish I could get them fot the lil bird and blackhawk.

That middle guy is pretty cool, too bad the helo is so weak. And that's what I was saying during Toyfair, mega has been randomly releasing stuff for awhile now.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
In six months, Amazon will have these at $15, and I'll probably be tempted.

I hear what you're saying about surprise releases, but there are things that were shown nearly a year ago that still haven't come out. It's really bizarre and poorly communicated. It's almost as if this company is run by Mat.... er, wait a minute....

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I don't suppose anyone will be ordering from Brick Arms anytime soon? They have a pistol I want to order for a completely different custom, but feel a bit silly only ordering one or two.

Thriller-Bart

The Unwashed
May 28, 2017
I'm because I just saw the clip of Robot Chicken Lego skit, World War B. I still find it hilarious though. :lmao:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
New CoD sets, in addition to what we saw a NYTF:

Anti-tank Gun (WWII) - assume this is mean to go with the Willys.
https://www.megaconstrux.com/en-us/worlds/call-of-duty/playsets/anti-tank-gun-fdy73

Surface Troops - couple of new noggins, some blue bodies. Good fodder if nothing else.
https://www.megaconstrux.com/en-us/worlds/call-of-duty/playsets/surface-troops-fdy74

Arctic Recon Armory - blue shipping container!
https://www.megaconstrux.com/en-us/worlds/call-of-duty/playsets/arctic-recon-armory-fdy76

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Well, I went ahead and ordered two guns from Brick Arms....cost me $5 and change. :rolleyes:

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
KO Technics R/C tanks and humvees:

Building Blocks Tank Toys 457PCS Remote Control Ultimate RC Battle Construction Set Military Vehicles Educational Kit Birthday Gift for Children 6,7,8,9 Year Old and Up, USB Rechargeable Battery [ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHJX47M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_K7ZCzbCKN06V7[/ame]

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, they're gonna be little $5 packs. I'm kind of torn. They're nifty, but Mega has burnt me with the shit plastic they use on their blind bag turtles.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Daaaaaamn. I can't help it, I will be all-in on MOTU blocks... that's just too damn cool. My kids might actually care about these properties if they come in brick form.

And let's face it, brick castle greyskull would be the greatest thing of all-time, and that has to be in the pipeline for roughly 2020 if the initial test waves are well received.

Good lord, I love how Mega is not letting the lego juggernaught keep them down.

1337W422102

I come from the Net.
I just want an Aliens dropship and APC.
Hell yes. Put them in me. I need them.

He Man is the perfect thing to go after Lego's stupid Nexo Knights.
Nexo Knights is L I T A F , fam. Classic Castle merges with oldschool space, in the colours of the single greatest Lego System theme to ever get produced, Ice Planet 2002.

It is objectively the raddest shit Lego's done in years. (The concept and sets themselves, I mean, no idea about the marketing material and cartoons and whatever.)

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm not a fan of Nexo Knights, but I do love the villains. It may or may not be three-and-out, though.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The LEGO Ideas review results are out, and they're gonna be doing a Voltron set.