Head sculpt suggestion thread

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Shapeways seems to want to blame it on your sprues. I sent an inquiry and told them about the issues some of them had and asked if I could pay the difference and just get them individually, instead of on the sprues. Here was their response:

APR 22, 2013 | 10:54AM CEST
Mitchell Jetten replied:
Dear Joshua,

Thank you for reaching out to us.
Unfortunately the loss of detail and roughness is caused by the technique used for 3d printing Frosted Ultra Detail.
One of the sides will have support material stick to the model which is used to print your model.

Unfortunately we cannot change the design of the Biker pack as we are not the designer of the model.
Shapeways only 3D prints the models which have been uploaded by independent designers.

I would like to ask you to go to the model on the website and click on the Contact Designer button.
This way you will be able to contact the designer directly and ask him if he is able to upload the model without the sprues.

Again my apologies for the inconvenience.

Best,
Mitchell
Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Agent
www.Shapeways.com

Mind you, Mitchell didn't even answer my question, but he wasted no time in blaming the problem on your sprues. I believe you when you say that you've had good results from some of them on the sprue, and am not trying to say that you're mistaken. Just letting you know what Shapeways is telling people.

Funny, Mitch never had the balls to tell me that when I dealt with an issue illustrated in the casting 411 thread. He's taking advantage of the fact you haven't ordered them singularly and got similar shitty results. I have.

Honestly, Mitchell doesn't know a damn thing and is only really good at picking apart a small detail in an email. When they actually take the time and file an inquiry with the production team, different answers do arise.

I only do the sprues because its the only way I can make it somewhat affordable. I can't magically make Shapeways make their FUD affordable, much less actually care about it like they do with their damn color sandstone. My hands are pretty much tied on the matter.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
BTW, I can't upload without the sprues and Mitch should know that as he's the one that told me. I also upload every model so the detail loss, if there is any, will be on the back of the head where there's less detail. They can alter it themselves if a different angle produces a quicker print time and less material. They aren't supposed to but I know they occasionally cheat and do that as well as bundle other designs from other jobs. I would say, paying nearly double the setup fee for FUD over everything else should get the proper attention and less corner cutting, but alas, it's not a 3D sculpture of a meme or a dress for Dita Von Cock Teese, so fuck everyone for expecting getting what they paid for.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
I know this thread is for heads, but I have a special request. lol.

The Glaive from Krull.

Hell yes. And head sculpts of the Slayers!

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Funny, Mitch never had the balls to tell me that when I dealt with an issue illustrated in the casting 411 thread. He's taking advantage of the fact you haven't ordered them singularly and got similar shitty results. I have.

Honestly, Mitchell doesn't know a damn thing and is only really good at picking apart a small detail in an email. When they actually take the time and file an inquiry with the production team, different answers do arise.

I only do the sprues because its the only way I can make it somewhat affordable. I can't magically make Shapeways make their FUD affordable, much less actually care about it like they do with their damn color sandstone. My hands are pretty much tied on the matter.

BTW, I can't upload without the sprues and Mitch should know that as he's the one that told me. I also upload every model so the detail loss, if there is any, will be on the back of the head where there's less detail. They can alter it themselves if a different angle produces a quicker print time and less material. They aren't supposed to but I know they occasionally cheat and do that as well as bundle other designs from other jobs. I would say, paying nearly double the setup fee for FUD over everything else should get the proper attention and less corner cutting, but alas, it's not a 3D sculpture of a meme or a dress for Dita Von Cock Teese, so fuck everyone for expecting getting what they paid for.

Just now saw this.

I remember reading a post of yours explaining that you did the sprues to help people save money, and it definitely does. It's a shame that Mitch put the blame on you. Classy.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
Did anyone get the Bo and Luke Duke heads and how did they turn out? I want to order them, but given the printing issues that was occurring I don't want to drop all that cash on two sculpts that might be messed up.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I believe nacho got them and that they turned out good for him, IIRC. However, it's still a gamble as to whether or not yours will turn out good or not, from what I've read in this thread.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
I know Giga is working with aly, but man it would be nice to have these sculpts available with SWG that could crank out the heads fast...hell I'd pay double the typical SWG prices just to get access to these sculpts so Gig could get some cash out of the deal.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I'm currently working 2 jobs to upgrade my computer (it can't handle poly counts above 500k anymore) and for start up cash to start molding and casting. At first, everything's just going to be limited runs with no preorders.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I'm currently working 2 jobs to upgrade my computer (it can't handle poly counts above 500k anymore) and for start up cash to start molding and casting. At first, everything's just going to be limited runs with no preorders.

Nice! Hope it works out for you.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
okay. So, I've been kicking around some ideas to get products made. I'm going to talk to a few acquaintances who kind of know better than myself but I'm really wanting to get some of my designs produced without the usual hassles that inevitably bring down 3rd party casters. I've started talks with a rapid prototyping and small run production company to see what I can expect in process and costs and then I'll go from there.

What I would really like is if people would rate some of my head sculpts on my Shapeways store to help me make decisions on which heads I should start with.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Some heads to kind of get back in the groove of things.

Some digipaint to show who this is.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Thought I'd share this as there's a few other designers on Shapeways as well.

Promo codes are "save10", "save25", or "save50"

Last edited:

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Thank you. I gotta get a better photo. I went back and fixed the nose. Some how switching back and forth between symmetry and asymmetry made the nose thicker.

Tonight, I made Chuck Finley

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Made casts of

Crimson Guard helmet
Sam Axe
Buzzer
Dirty Harry
Benicio Del Toro

For now, these casts will be exclusive to this site and my FB page.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Best bet would probably be from a Christmas ornament.