Joe Con 2014

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I just hope the rest of the set is better. So far it's just not grabbing me. Especially not for a "ZOMG FIRST REVEAL TODAY!!@!!" announcement.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Meh is right:

http://www.gijoecon.com/tx2014/con14labrats.cfm

not what I was expecting...

I'm neutral on it.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
so the Cobras are:

Toxo-Vipers x3, Toxo-Zombies x3, and Repulsor with Dawg (NEW K-9)

Where does "Lab Rat" fit in?

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
x2. From the brochure:

Zombie Hunters: Outback, T’J Bang, Steel Brigade Commander / E.C.O. Force: Flint, Ozone, Clean-Sweep

Cobra Lab-Rats x 2, Toxo-Vipers x 3, Toxo-Zombies x 3, and Repulsor with Dawg (NEW K-9)

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
At this point, I think ankle tilts should be standard along with the extra wrist articulation...he's got one, but not the other...not I like I give a crap...*leaves*

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I got to agree, it's a clever bit of LBCing. If it were in a wave of retail figures it sure wouldn't be my first or second choice, but at least it's not some dumbass subteam or obscure foreign repaint.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
They generally do a reveal every other day, but they're fucking way too close to JoeCon to be pulling that nonsense this time around. They need to reveal them 2 a day and then get registration up by the weekend so folks can give them money and plan a trip that's less than 3 months away.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
[insert laughing emoticon that we don't have]

I never understood the slow reveal of Joe Con right before the con. I would announce the entire set at once and then do the registration the next day. Then in the weeks leading up to the con, i would do individual "spotlights" on the figures to generate hype.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Yeah, well they literally run that shit out of their big Texas house, so…

Seriously. Google their address. It's in some development, just a house.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
But yeah, I don't get their reveal methods. I wouldn't wait this late to showcase the figures, and even if there was a delay from China :)rolleyes:) I'd show them rapid-fire, and get registration up. All it does is delay folks from giving them money, and pisses them off. This is a Club that hasn't done many favors in recent years to keep their "members"/fans more than teetering on the fine line between staying and leaving.

I just don't get it.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
It's very frustrating indeed. Even though I want to tell them to eat shit and die over IB, I'll be joining the club again this year for CC. :(

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I'll be in until I get Frostbite from them, and/or any other 80's remakes if they're on the same level as Cross Country or Footloose. Iceberg makes me mad every time I think about it! I half expected to see a Tiger Force Frostbite this year in a Tiger Force Con set, and then we'd get the real version next year to complete the Sunbow lineup. This Eco-Force crap's sort of thrown that off…

And FSS 2.0 has me underwhelmed so far, I haven't even opened a single figure from it yet, and I was really looking forward to Tollbooth. As much as I love those vintage cards, they're spreading the selection too thin with shitty choices. It's sitting right at 50% for me, which is the only reason I re-upped this time, because it'd cost the same for me to buy them separately as it would to get the whole subscription. If they had any sense, they'd be pumping out a better selection at around 70-80% general satisfaction for the first couple of subs, before they lose too many people. I don't know many fans who are excited for the whole set besides diehards or idiots.

At least with the Mattel MOTUC series, they had a better selection up front before petering out with the lame character selection they're doing now. The GIJCC started out with a mediocre offering, and I don't think it's going to get any better with FSS 3.0.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I hear ya. The only reason I keep getting the sub is that I'm afraid that one day I'm going to really want TB or KH and then the only way I can get them is by paying $600 on eBay or some crazy shit. So I get them now, split the set with Fogger and if I change my mind in the future, I'll be the dickhead selling them for $600 each :D

I haven't opened mine yet either, hell I haven't even opened Cover Girl yet LOL. I'm sending a few to XOC sometime in the near future for him to review so they'll be opened eventually lol.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I really don't want to spend the money on a JoeCon pass, especially since it's such a half-assed theme. I'd trade my Night Force bagged set straight up for a bagged set of this year's, but I doubt I could get a stable offer that I could trust for that.

I'm torn on hoping the set kicks ass and hoping it's godawful. I did skip on getting the Brazil set, although I bought several figures from it off eBay, so it's not like it's out of character for me to skip the set. I just wish they'd reveal the damned things and be done with the silly reveal games. That's only irritating me more. :rolleyes:

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I eventually sold my Brazil set. It was a great set but it's not essential for me to have. I still have a unopened NF bagged set. I will most likely sell it in the next few years. Just looking at the names on this set, none of them are going to be must haves IMO. I'm most excited for the reveal of the Zombie Hunters. Hopefully they aren't some silly neon cocksuckers.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
So I get them now, split the set with Fogger and if I change my mind in the future, I'll be the dickhead selling them for $600 each :D

And even there, I'm selling/trading three of the figures I'm in for.

I will say that last's year's con set is growing on me - the Joe side, at least. I'm kind of wishing I picked up a few of those.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I'd consider keeping the Flak-Vipers and Saw-Vipers (paying the cost-per-figure of keeping them, of course), but those 2 foreign abortions you'd need to pawn off on someone else...

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
So is Hasbro going to release any figures this year? Or is GI Joe done for until the next mediocre movie?