Marvel: Phase Two

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Yeah, lame. I'd at least expect them to drop a featurette for GotG on there instead. I assumed the home video would release a week or 2 prior to Guardians, with at least an inside look or first 10 min of footage or some shit.

I was honestly expecting SOME one-shot, though. That sucks.

Brickhead

Enlisted
May 9, 2014
Southern Maryland
www.flickr.com
The marvel motion comics will always be better IMO than the live action hollywood productions. The live action productions just seem to be milking the fans who await something to happen but never really does. Not to mention all the flaws and lack of consistency.

Live action marvel films was a fantasy of mine and I'm sure every fan back in the day. But ultimately, the comics and animated films are where it's at. There's just too much involvement and production inconsistencies to make a quality marvel live action movie. But as long as people spend money on it we have to endure this bullshit being thrown at us and all the casual comic 'fans'.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
The marvel motion comics will always be better IMO than the live action hollywood productions. The live action productions just seem to be milking the fans who await something to happen but never really does. Not to mention all the flaws and lack of consistency.

Live action marvel films was a fantasy of mine and I'm sure every fan back in the day. But ultimately, the comics and animated films are where it's at. There's just too much involvement and production inconsistencies to make a quality marvel live action movie. But as long as people spend money on it we have to endure this bullshit being thrown at us and all the casual comic 'fans'.

Don't agree with any of the above (except, perhaps, live action films being a fantasy of all fans).

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
The marvel motion comics will always be better IMO than the live action hollywood productions.

Completely disagree- I tried the motion comics and they did nothing for me. I'd rather just read the comic, or watch the movie. The mixture just didn't work for me.

Brickhead

Enlisted
May 9, 2014
Southern Maryland
www.flickr.com
Don't agree with any of the above (except, perhaps, live action films being a fantasy of all fans).

My biggest problem with the live action is the time it takes to cover a story arc. Comics are the fastest way to tell a story. Motion comics and animations are second. Then there are the hollywood productions. At the rate Disney's 'Marvel Studios' movies are getting made it'll take 30 years to get a complete story arc--if they decide to even stick with it at all!

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
It's moving fairly rapidly for as many people and characters as are involved. Sure, I'd love to get them much faster, but at the current pace there's roughly a flagship film every 6 months or so. In the last year we've had Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Cap 2, and GotG by the time a year rolls around. After that, there's a bit of a lull if I'm not mistaken, but now they have AoS and Agent Carter to also fill in the gaps before Avengers 2.

I'm a little disappointed we aren't getting another Hulk, which would've fit nicely in December or early Spring before A2 comes out, but to be honest we've gotten quite a bit in the last year. Considering the time it took to take care of Phase 1, Phase 2 is happening fast as hell.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011

:wtf:

This^^

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has made me a Marvel fan. I have purchased Toys, Comics and Games because of the Cinematic Universe. Without those 9 or 10 movies, I wouldn't care about the brand.

Brickhead

Enlisted
May 9, 2014
Southern Maryland
www.flickr.com
:wtf:

This^^

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has made me a Marvel fan. I have purchased Toys, Comics and Games because of the Cinematic Universe. Without those 9 or 10 movies, I wouldn't care about the brand.

Are you kidding me? :explode:

Sure I can understand that you're exposure VIA movies is how you got in... but you gotta give the comics the credit. I mean... the movies wouldn't exist if it weren't for the comics. Most of the story arcs are from the comics. It will take a lifetime for the movies to catch up with the comics. Animation is the quickest medium to catch up. Live action cinema is the slowest due to all the production and dealing with studio companies that don't know jack shit about the franchise and want the movie tailored for the casual movie goer.

And I just have to share this.

Last edited:

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
My point is f*ck all that mess. Read the comics.

So we should all eschew all other formats of a story because only "true" fans read the comics?

Nah, hard pass. I enjoy the movies and the comics equally. Motion comics and most of the Marvel animation? Not even a blip on my radar.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I respect the comics. Don't get it twisted. However I don't have the time to read them nor do I have time to keep up with them.

As a kid I periodically read the Joe series and I had a few X-Men and some random Cap comics and that's about it.

The Cinematic Universe has gotten me to buy several graphic novels because I wanted to read the inspiration.

My priorities are:

Job. which is very demanding btw.
Life. I'm sure several ppl will chime in and call me a drunk :p
Hobbies. This site, VG's, MMA, NFL, Movies etc etc.

That's pretty much 99.9% of my time and comics just don't fit in there with my hobbies.

It's a matter of time. Maybe when I win the powerball and I have tons of free time, I'll catch up on the 100 years of comic history I haven't got to read yet :p

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011

I don't agree with a single "reason" except for #1. Talk about reaching for straws! I mean seriously, whoever wrote this needs to take the stick out of their ass and enjoy what has been happening.

"Reason" #1 I can agree with. When it does come time to reboot it, it won't work. This is a once in a lifetime thing. Enjoy the ride.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone

Almost all of those things listed as problems of the medium of "film" are equally just as bad if not worse in the comic format, though. We may not have "recastings" in the comics, but they kill off characters, replace them, have the heroes go bad, etc.

Not to mention reboots, retcons, alternate timelines, multiverses, etc. that plague the 616 Comic Universe due to the sliding timeline. The films have a few continuity problems, but nothing like the mainstream universe. Marvel's done a hell of a lot better job in the MCU than Fox has done with the X-films as far as following a cohesive storyline.

The biggest thing that bugs me, besides recasting, is the "Where was Tony Stark during Cap 2?" issue. But shit, that happens in the comics all the time. Solo books are the same as solo films. Wolverine's getting his ass handed to him by Sabretooth, so where's Professor X and the rest of the X-Gangs to bail him out? At least they do include nods to the other films now. I think they've done a pretty impressive job, considering all the moving parts.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
"Where was Tony Stark during Cap 2?" issue...

*phone rings*

Cap - yello!

Ironman - hey, uhh, Cap...you okay?...I've heard you've got a lot on your plate at the moment...need a hand?

Cap - nahhh, I'm a super soldier! I can handle it all on my own!

Ironman - you sure? Avengers assemble?...no?

Cap - *falling out of an exploding helicarrier* no no!...I got it man, but thanks!

Ironman - okay buddy, talk to ya later...*hanging up phone, voices heard in background*... nope, he said he's got it...yeah, some insecure thing about his d!ck...

Brickhead

Enlisted
May 9, 2014
Southern Maryland
www.flickr.com
I just don't see the movies having as much complexity as the comics. You get your hopes up for what should be happening next--then waiting a year--and they could just throw a reboot out there.

I don't have time to do very much myself. Having an 8 month old is very time consuming. Between work and family I don't have much time to do much but get online and look at stuff and go back and forth a bit in conversations.

I don't think comic fans are better than movie fans. But I think it's pretty silly for anyone to expect something out of the movies--which is always riding a fine line of getting canned or rebooted--when all the information is already out there in the comics. Comics don't take much time to read and you can always flip back to re-read stuff. Movies... not as quickly.

FOX totally fucked up. Sony needs to stop making Spider-Man movies altogether and let the rights slip out of their undeserving grasp.

Comics may have some problems, but they are still the source material for what you are waiting for to happen in the movies.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
I bet you also think that the Walking Dead comic is 100x better than the show and the show shouldn't have ever been made.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I have always liked Superheroes but never read any of the comics. I just can't get into comics, don't know why, never could. All my knowledge came from the cartoons and early DC movies. I barely cared about MU until the movies, until these particular movies. Before that only animated and movie DC for me and the 2 Ultimate Avengers movies. This verse brought me into MU and they have gotten my money since. Still no desire to read any comics. I like the storytelling they are doing so far and I don't mind the wait. If they pumped them out too fast I would not anticipate them so much which would lead me to not seeing them in the theaters. I think what they are doing is brilliant and paced perfectly.

They built a new model of storytelling in Hollywood/Media. That in itself is impressive.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I have always liked Superheroes but never read any of the comics. I just can't get into comics, don't know why, never could. All my knowledge came from the cartoons and early DC movies. I barely cared about MU until the movies, until these particular movies. Before that only animated and movie DC for me and the 2 Ultimate Avengers movies. This verse brought me into MU and they have gotten my money since. Still no desire to read any comics...

100% exactly my case ^^

As for the MU movies, I enjoy them as is, but I definitely agree that the story lines drag on when spanned over years...if there were more films or a speedier story reveal, I wouldn't mind one bit...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I don't have time/money/patience for comics. I can't even be bothered to read through copies I've acquired for free really.

I enjoy the movie format better for a number of reasons. Marvel has done a great job spacing things out, without leaving too many plot points twisting in the wind. It's usually just enough to get you to the next story in the saga, which works fine for me, especially since I tend to not see them in theaters.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
If they pumped them out too fast I would not anticipate them so much which would lead me to not seeing them in the theaters. I think what they are doing is brilliant and paced perfectly.

They built a new model of storytelling in Hollywood/Media. That in itself is impressive.

Med put into words exactly what I was thinking/feeling.

Could Marvel Studios push out movies faster? Probably/Maybe. Do I want them to? Not really. I'd rather get an entertaining movie adaption of a beloved character, rather than speed up the production level to try and get through story-arcs. What's the rush?

Also, Marvel/Disney has stated and shown they have a plan for the Marvel Movie universe. I think their handling of the properties has been top-notch, with as few hiccups as anyone could expect from Hollywood.

I'm not exactly sure why we're even comparing the comics to the movies, especially in relation to the speed of production. Of course a comic book story arc is going to take less time to get through than a movie series. But what's the point?

It's not like it's Marvel/Disney and DC/Warner Bros are in a competition to see which studio can get the most story-arcs in a given period. Or which studio can catch the movie characters up to the current comic-book story line. Because that would just be stupid.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Quality > Quantity. Or it should be at least.

I wonder how much Marvel was influenced by the Nolan Batman movies. Batman Begins was in 2005, The Dark Knight was 2008, Iron Man was also 2008. Iron Man was the first true "Marvel Universe" film right?

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I do believe IM is considered the first. At that point I think they hoped to get to now, but didn't have a solid plan in place.

I think Batman Begins showed that comic movies would work and sell in today's world if done well.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I think 1998's Blade and 2000's X-Men films kickstarted the modern "film world" franchise opportunity, but at a significant loss to Marvel Studio's available character roster later. If I'm not mistaken, the films alone were what pulled Marvel out of Chapter 11 and into the success it has become today (or at least selling off the rights to the characters started it, and the success of X-Men and Raimi's Spiderman films following suit).

Iron Man is the official start of the MCU, yeah, but I'd say that Marvel had quite a few successful franchises prior to it in Blade, X-Men and Spider-Man. (Blade to me is pretty terrible, but they got a trilogy out of it, so there's that.)

Batman Begins is probably the film that made the film industry wake up and realize you could make a fairly serious film. (Although I think both Spiderman and X-Men were decent attempts at that.)

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Just the obvious stuff about Banner. Nothing right to the movie. There was the Consultant One Shot that had Ross in it. Also there was the line about Blonsky in SHIELD.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Both Spiderman and X-men were ALL over the place when it comes to being quality "films".. X3, Spiderman 3.. I liked the Blades I guess, but I didn't even know that was based on a comic.

When did Disney buy Marvel? I think their current foresight on weaving all these films and franchises together is what really keeps me interested.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Have they referenced back to anything from the Hulk movies? I didn't see them so I don't know.

Hulk, no. Incredible Hulk, yes. Incredible Hulk is officially part of the MCU. You should see IH, it's quite good. The one with Eric Bana was awful.

I think as far as the films go, though, the MCU is mostly avoiding IH for the most part, unfortunately. Probably due to the Norton/Ruffalo switch, but it's been referenced in follow-up MCU films. Ruffalo mentions that he "broke Harlem" last time he was in NY, and that happend in IH. Also, they show footage from Hulk raging in IH in Avengers and SHIELD if I'm not mistaken.

IH also involves Erskine's serum, and some other subtle hints to Captain America, and Tony Stark has a cameo at the end. None of the other Hulk characters have really made it into the other films, though, including Thunderbolt Ross, who I expected to hear mention of at some point in SHIELD or Avengers.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Just the obvious stuff about Banner. Nothing right to the movie. There was the Consultant One Shot that had Ross in it. Also there was the line about Blonsky in SHIELD.

I forgot all about that One Shot. It was one of the weaker ones, to be honest. I think they even said in an interview that they blew their budget on all the others, so they just basically had to be sitting in a cafe talking for the most bar.

Yeah, X-2 and Spiderman 2 are the "best" of those early trilogies. They got all the "origin"/introduction nonsense out of the way in the first film and were able to jump right into the awesome in the sequel. Then, their third act just crapped all over everything successful about 1-2.

Spiderman 3 and X3 still bug me to this day. They're the least-watched of those series, I think I've only seen them twice all the way through. They have some cool parts, but overall are crap.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Med put into words exactly what I was thinking/feeling.

Could Marvel Studios push out movies faster? Probably/Maybe. Do I want them to? Not really. I'd rather get an entertaining movie adaption of a beloved character, rather than speed up the production level to try and get through story-arcs. What's the rush?

Also, Marvel/Disney has stated and shown they have a plan for the Marvel Movie universe. I think their handling of the properties has been top-notch, with as few hiccups as anyone could expect from Hollywood.

I'm not exactly sure why we're even comparing the comics to the movies, especially in relation to the speed of production. Of course a comic book story arc is going to take less time to get through than a movie series. But what's the point?

It's not like it's Marvel/Disney and DC/Warner Bros are in a competition to see which studio can get the most story-arcs in a given period. Or which studio can catch the movie characters up to the current comic-book story line. Because that would just be stupid.

This This and This^^

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Hulk, no. Incredible Hulk, yes. Incredible Hulk is officially part of the MCU. You should see IH, it's quite good. The one with Eric Bana was awful.

I think as far as the films go, though, the MCU is mostly avoiding IH for the most part, unfortunately. Probably due to the Norton/Ruffalo switch, but it's been referenced in follow-up MCU films. Ruffalo mentions that he "broke Harlem" last time he was in NY, and that happend in IH. Also, they show footage from Hulk raging in IH in Avengers and SHIELD if I'm not mistaken.

IH also involves Erskine's serum, and some other subtle hints to Captain America, and Tony Stark has a cameo at the end. None of the other Hulk characters have really made it into the other films, though, including Thunderbolt Ross, who I expected to hear mention of at some point in SHIELD or Avengers.

This^^

It's part of the MCU and gets subtle references every now and then but the Norton switch has then shying away from it.