Marvel: Phase Two

Jrsmi6

Leprechan Hunter
Flashback maybe?...basically I'm suggesting he might still die in Cap 2...but seeing as he's got more movies left in his contract, I doubt he dies

I saw an interview with Sam Jackson where he said he had been contracted to do 7 movies as Nick Fury . So far he has done Iron Man 1-3, Thor , Captain America and The Avengers and now with CA The Winter Soldier he has fulfilled his commitment. I believe he also said that his apprarance in The Incredible Hulk was before he had been contracted for the 7 films.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I saw an interview with Sam Jackson where he said he had been contracted to do 7 movies as Nick Fury . So far he has done Iron Man 1-3, Thor , Captain America and The Avengers and now with CA The Winter Soldier he has fulfilled his commitment. I believe he also said that his apprarance in The Incredible Hulk was before he had been contracted for the 7 films.

I think he signed a 9 film contract.

Also the cameos might not count. Evans cameo in Thor 2 didn't count towards his contract.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I think when RDJ and CE's contracts are up, Marvel will have phased to another part of the Marvel Universe to allow for a breather. RDJ and CE may return later but just need to walk away for a little bit.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
God. Marvel's Quicksilver doesn't look any better than Fox's.

While it's (Marvels) certainly not great, it's also most certainly not at the awful level of Foxs version...that's just horrific something fierce!

I think when RDJ and CE's contracts are up, Marvel will have phased to another part of the Marvel Universe to allow for a breather. RDJ and CE may return later but just need to walk away for a little bit.

Yeah, because f*%# money! :rolleyes:

Must be nice to be rolling in so much cash that you can say, "nahhh, I'm good...I don't need millions more for very little work."...a$$holes :mad::crying:

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
While it's (Marvels) certainly not great, it's also most certainly not at the awful level of Foxs version...that's just horrific something fierce!

Yeah, because f*%# money! :rolleyes:

Must be nice to be rolling in so much cash that you can say, "nahhh, I'm good...I don't need millions more for very little work."...a$$holes :mad::crying:

I'm sure RDJ is still going to make a ton of money, if he leaves. CE's just mad there isn't going to be a Losers 2.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I think beyond, oh, 15 years, they're going to have a hell of a mess on their hands trying to keep continuity in-line without having to cheat with some weird sliding time-scale and recasting a LOT, which always fucks continuity for me.

Star Wars is just one big sloppy mess of continuity as far as I'm concerned due to spanning 9 films over 40 years and having to recast for some parts, and they're actually pretty tight on that little world, for the most part.

I love Marvel's films so far, but they're getting a little ahead of themselves, I think.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I dunno, they have enough time to really plan for it. If the MU is advancing at the same rate as "real time" then they can write in them getting older/etc, or kill them off, or work in a replacement actor 'realistically'.. like have old Tony Stark have a kid or successor or something.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
They'll reboot, just like the comics.

This^^

I love the fact that they have an actual plan. Unlike DC's fuckarey.

Even if they have to alter their plan, they have enough capital and reputation to pump out 2 movies a year and take risks like GOTG.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I dunno, they have enough time to really plan for it. If the MU is advancing at the same rate as "real time" then they can write in them getting older/etc, or kill them off, or work in a replacement actor 'realistically'.. like have old Tony Stark have a kid or successor or something.

My bad on the double post, I missed this one. I can totally see this kind of stuff playing out as well. They can write out the Hulk but sending him away and doing the Planet Hulk story. Thor would have to get recasted eventually because he's not suppose to age. Captain can "die" and be replaced by Bucky for a new trilogy.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Didn't I read somewhere that they were gonna do three films a year now?...or was that me just being hopeful?

thats possible. I don't remember reading that.

What's been released:

Cap 2: Tonight

GOTG: 8/1/14

A2: 5/1/15

Ant Man: 7/17/15

Cap 3: 5/6/16

TBA: July 2016

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I think A3 is planned for 2018.

Phase 3 so far is Ant Man and Cap 3. Thor 3 is a given. Dr. Strange has been rumored 4ever and gets name dropped in Cap 2 so that will probably be in there. That most likely fills out Phase 3 unless they sneak in a Hulk movie or a new character like Black Panther.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
They just can't seem to get Hulk right, and you'd think he'd be a simpler one to tackle. It's like Hulk and Superman both can't get a great standalone film because they're so simple, yet impossible to nail. I actually really enjoyed the Norton Hulk, but there was something lacking about it still. I didn't actually get to see Hulk Smash! as much as he should've.

He was the highlight of Avengers for me, seeing him go all-out finally. I want to see that in a standalone film, with the Leader. I can't believe they keep back-burnering him like that, though.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
They just can't seem to get Hulk right, and you'd think he'd be a simpler one to tackle. It's like Hulk and Superman both can't get a great standalone film because they're so simple, yet impossible to nail. I actually really enjoyed the Norton Hulk, but there was something lacking about it still. I didn't actually get to see Hulk Smash! as much as he should've.

He was the highlight of Avengers for me, seeing him go all-out finally. I want to see that in a standalone film, with the Leader. I can't believe they keep back-burnering him like that, though.

It's cuz Banner is boring and Hulk can't "talk".

I think they need to add a secondary hero in the next Hulk movie if it happens to help move the story. Just like how BW helped in IM2 and in Cap 2. Throw in a heavy shield presence and it can work.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011

I think they need to add a secondary hero in the next Hulk movie if it happens to help move the story. Just like how BW helped in IM2 and in Cap 2. Throw in a heavy shield presence and it can work.

This. This all the way. I like the Hulk as is, but he's a shitty character to have in a movie. Make a smart Hulk movie and we'll talk. But people will complain too.

Also, there are no future Iron Man movies planned for now. Just appearances in Avengers movies as needed.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
... but there was something lacking about it still...

It wasn't fun or destructive enough for the character...I liked Norton too, but the movie was kinda boring, somehow...

I think the biggest problem is it's hard to find a villain for either Hulk or Superman to fight...it's hard to find a good counter to either of them since they are both almost indestructible...

Too bad a Hulk movie couldn't be rated R so we could see him REALLY brutalize some baddies...

I don't want to see Superman destroy a city, he should know better...but the Hulk, yeah, I wanna see him truly f*%# some stuff up...but he's supposed to be a hero, soooo...yeah, I can see how he'd be hard to write him AND make fun...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm going in the morning...though if I get there and it's too busy with noisy LCDs, I'll just go home and come back middle next week...

I can't stand hearing other people coughing and clearing their throats and sneezing and sniffing and crunching on popcorn and ruffling candy bags and just plain being stinky because they smoked a pack before coming in the theater and being in the chair in front of me so I can't put my feet up and etc etc etc...

Glad to hear it's good, though I'm not surprised...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone

Banner can be awesome if they write it that way. It's just Hulk has been the lowest priority for them, so they just sort of half-ass it. Norton tried his ass off to make it as good as possible, and I think that Incredible Hulk was as decent as it was because of Norton's meddling, not the other way around.

Of course, that can piss off the studio, and he may be difficult as fuck to work with. But I've always liked Norton and he's a smart dude, really passionate about the work he's in—even if it's a comic book movie.

While the Avengers "HULK ON!" ability to just Hulk-up on command seemed a bit… convenient?... for plot's sake, it wouldn't be that interesting to see him fight like that in a full Hulk-solo film, because part of the complexity and interesting nature of the Hulk is that he's a genius who fights the urge to not turn into the monster, but he needs the monster some of the time. I loved the Avengers, but the ending where he just Hulked out on command sort of contradicted the beginning and middle of the film where he showed he could control it (to keep it at bay), or struggled with it, but couldn't exactly "on/off" it like the ending showed. Maybe Loki's interference negated that, I dunno. But in something like Avengers, that's not too important to focus on Hulk, as he's the "SMASH" element.

I honestly don't think that their plan to make Hulk into a TV show was that off-base, I just don't think the budget would be there to make it as good as it would need to be to show Hulk as often as people would want, considering he's a full-CGI bohemoth and even SHIELD has it's budget-thin special effects moments where you can really tell it's a TV budget, and they're not animating full characters. I actually like the Banner/Hulk dichotomy but a TV show would only show Banner most of the time to keep budget down, and let's face it, that would suck.

I hope after Avengers 2, with RDJ not having anymore Iron Man films on the timeline yet, that they could maybe fill in the gap with another try at a solo Hulk film, at the very least. Thunderbolt Ross as Red Hulk or a team-up with Rulk and the Leader in a more secondary role could be interesting, especially if it set up a third film to face the Leader head-on, or as a Planet Hulk/World War Hulk third film… They just need to tackle it as a flagship film for a change, because to me (and I would hope a LOT of kids) the Hulk is way cooler than Captain America, and could be AWESOME if it was given the attention it deserved.

It wasn't fun or destructive enough for the character...I liked Norton too, but the movie was kinda boring, somehow...

I think the biggest problem is it's hard to find a villain for either Hulk or Superman to fight...it's hard to find a good counter to either of them since they are both almost indestructible...

Too bad a Hulk movie couldn't be rated R so we could see him REALLY brutalize some baddies...

I don't want to see Superman destroy a city, he should know better...but the Hulk, yeah, I wanna see him truly f*%# some stuff up...but he's supposed to be a hero, soooo...yeah, I can see how he'd be hard to write him AND make fun...

The problem with an R-rated Marvel film is it often isn't taken seriously and turns out to be shit, like the last Punisher. It had quite a bit going right for it, but it was just campy and awful. Ray Stevenson was the perfect Punisher, but the rest of the cast was simply awful, and the plot was just horrible, too. The fact that they have a more limited market with it being R-rated means they just didn't give a damn. Comic films still need to target kids, sadly.

Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than to see Hulk literally rip a person apart or smash them into a red pulp, but we won't see something that brutal. Hulk should be pure rage, and he's essentially Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, which is a very dark tale. It's tough to get full-rage like that while keeping it safe for kiddies. :(

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Planet Hulk would be awesome though. Especially if they rewrote it so that banner was in it as well. I think it would do what John Carter couldn't do.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Banner can be awesome if they write it that way. It's just Hulk has been the lowest priority for them, so they just sort of half-ass it. Norton tried his ass off to make it as good as possible, and I think that Incredible Hulk was as decent as it was because of Norton's meddling, not the other way around.

Of course, that can piss off the studio, and he may be difficult as fuck to work with. But I've always liked Norton and he's a smart dude, really passionate about the work he's in—even if it's a comic book movie.

While the Avengers "HULK ON!" ability to just Hulk-up on command seemed a bit… convenient?... for plot's sake, it wouldn't be that interesting to see him fight like that in a full Hulk-solo film, because part of the complexity and interesting nature of the Hulk is that he's a genius who fights the urge to not turn into the monster, but he needs the monster some of the time. I loved the Avengers, but the ending where he just Hulked out on command sort of contradicted the beginning and middle of the film where he showed he could control it (to keep it at bay), or struggled with it, but couldn't exactly "on/off" it like the ending showed. Maybe Loki's interference negated that, I dunno. But in something like Avengers, that's not too important to focus on Hulk, as he's the "SMASH" element.

I honestly don't think that their plan to make Hulk into a TV show was that off-base, I just don't think the budget would be there to make it as good as it would need to be to show Hulk as often as people would want, considering he's a full-CGI bohemoth and even SHIELD has it's budget-thin special effects moments where you can really tell it's a TV budget, and they're not animating full characters. I actually like the Banner/Hulk dichotomy but a TV show would only show Banner most of the time to keep budget down, and let's face it, that would suck.

I hope after Avengers 2, with RDJ not having anymore Iron Man films on the timeline yet, that they could maybe fill in the gap with another try at a solo Hulk film, at the very least. Thunderbolt Ross as Red Hulk or a team-up with Rulk and the Leader in a more secondary role could be interesting, especially if it set up a third film to face the Leader head-on, or as a Planet Hulk/World War Hulk third film… They just need to tackle it as a flagship film for a change, because to me (and I would hope a LOT of kids) the Hulk is way cooler than Captain America, and could be AWESOME if it was given the attention it deserved.

The problem with an R-rated Marvel film is it often isn't taken seriously and turns out to be shit, like the last Punisher. It had quite a bit going right for it, but it was just campy and awful. Ray Stevenson was the perfect Punisher, but the rest of the cast was simply awful, and the plot was just horrible, too. The fact that they have a more limited market with it being R-rated means they just didn't give a damn. Comic films still need to target kids, sadly.

Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than to see Hulk literally rip a person apart or smash them into a red pulp, but we won't see something that brutal. Hulk should be pure rage, and he's essentially Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, which is a very dark tale. It's tough to get full-rage like that while keeping it safe for kiddies. :(

I think if they did Punisher in a similar vein of the current run, it would succeed. You would also have your AoS and Avengers tie-ins as well. The problem with the past Punisher movies was that the current successful run was Garth Ennis who just doesn't translate well to film.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
A planet Hulk movie would be a great 3rd or even 4th Hulk movie if they got that far and a good way to "write him out" of the universe. I'm assuming after A3 it will be a very different universe and a sort of a reboot.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
*SPOILERS BELOW!

Bummer it didn't make it...woulda been super cool!

Markus added that "There were various things we pitched that didn't make it in, like before the missiles go off, Zola's computer just stands up and walks away. We always wanted to get him in his robot body, but everyone was like, 'He's a talking computer. Can't we leave it at that?'" What do you think?

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
that would have been badass!

I will say that his part was the only part that felt "cheesy" during the film. I can understand why they didn't take it further.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm surprised they didn't take it further based on the tease in Cap 1