On the Workbench

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I thought maybe it was those thick blue shop towels (but are made out of paper).

WOW K, that looks fantastic!!! Would you have a picture of it being worn?

I assume you glued it together with regular Elmer's school glue?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, Elmer's is doing the lion's share of the holding. I haven’t decided on if it will be vehicle mounted or a MANPAC, so know straps, but I may be able to engineer something for a pic.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, I’m generally satisfied with the results I get from it. If I ever find a set of webbing I like for the ARW setting I would likely permanently attach the quiver to it.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
CoD meets ARAH. Nostalgia haters can suck it! :fuckit:

Attachments

• IMG_20160507_090722858b_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160507_090722858b_HDR.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 62

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Thanks! No, I haven't put anything on the book of faces. I log in there once a month to make sure everyone is alive, and that's about it. While I haven't seen any others, I'm sure I'm not the only one with the notion.

I started out just wanting to do a few LBCs, and then it mushroomed...

seriously want more pics of each one...I may sell off all 1 18 and go all bricks if I can replicate what you are doing here....WOW!!!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Holy smokes, nacho! You've been a busy boy!

I haven't followed that line of toys. Are they all repaints of the same exact figure? Are their different bodies? Did you have to make custom parts for any of them?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
seriously want more pics of each one...I may sell off all 1 18 and go all bricks if I can replicate what you are doing here....WOW!!!

Thanks! The hardest thing is determining the right recipe of parts for each character. Then obtaining them of course.

Holy smokes, nacho! You've been a busy boy!

I haven't followed that line of toys. Are they all repaints of the same exact figure? Are their different bodies? Did you have to make custom parts for any of them?

Yes, I've been working on these for a month or so. My yard is now putting a dent into my productive customizing time...

There are probably 15-20 different heads, a dozen torsos, 8-10 different sets of legs... but even after you know what you want to do, finding the right parts in all the right colors... it's not going to happen. My attempts at LBCs just got *moderately* close, but enough off that I couldn't stand it. I think there is only one (Snake Eyes) that's a true, no-paint LBC.

I didn't make any parts per se, but I did modify, grind, shape various existing parts to look more like the intended guys.

----------------------------------------
Lessons learned so far from my first 60 figures (for anyone with the itch):

1) The correct heads are the toughest parts to acquire, as there simply are very few unmasked, unhelmeted CoD figures. So getting enough of those is a challenge. I ended up getting some from assassins creed sets, and a few helmets from halo sets, a few random parts from terminator sets. I've already got eyes cut on some of the upcoming Star Trek sets just for noggins.

2) The second hardest thing to find is figures with short sleeves. Can't ever get enough of those. I never realized how many Joes have bare forearms.

3) Bear in mind that all the other megabloks lines have different construction for the waist & torso than the CoD figures, and most of the others have different (shorter) arms too. Legs and heads are about the only things that are cross compatible. WTF mattel!

4) The white astronaut sets are great base figures for troopers, snow and otherwise. The WWII sets are great for military boots and lots of generic green base figures.

5) Dyeing is not recommended. The plastic is too soft, and it tends to shrink a bit. I ended up with lots of stuck knees, wrists, waists, and pelvises. I got about 75% of them free by freezing them, but even at that, I ruined a few because the plastic is just too soft.

6) You'll need the tiniest brushes your hobby store has, and even then, you'll also need some ultrafine .005 markers for certain details.

7) cobra logos are a bitch! they're just so tiny. Mine look ok from a galloping horse, but they won't stand close inspection. t-i-n-y.

8) There are no girl figures (that I can find), but an upcoming tmnt set has an April that will likely get turned into Lady Jaye. Scarlett and Baroness are simply shit out of luck.

If anyone wants to try these, I'll gladly share what parts I used for any character (if I can decipher where they came from!). They're all a big mixture...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
WTF mattel!

:lmao: I kinda feel like i want to use that for EVERYTHING! Even if it has nothing to do with Mattel. Taco Bell puts tomatoes on something you don't want them on...WTF Mattel?!

Mine look ok from a galloping horse, but they won't stand close inspection. t-i-n-y.

I've never heard that saying before, but i love it!

"So I heard you're dating a new girl? How's she look?"

"Yeah...she looks okay from a galloping horse."

"Oh. That bad?"

":grumpy:"

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I already eat like a Texan. :D

But i want to be a deep, deeeeep DEEP southerner...so south that I'm on Aruba (or any tropical island).

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Moved the workbench outside for the day,just beautiful out! Had to start over on the penny dreadful male heads due to for some reason excluding the hats....really want to get more from this line. Pretty neat

Also doing more WWE stuff,and FINALLY got a decent first shrink on the chick monte sent me!! That hair is a bitch! Reminds me of Aliens Ripley's struggle! lol.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
I love those more expressive "yelling" heads. Great for dios.

So do I! That's why I bought him. There's another 2 out there that I've seen. One is the elite Goldust,and the other is an earlier version of the bearded guy I did earlier. Trying to build up enough WWE guys to make a replication mold of them...gonna finish up what I'm working on,and get started on the wwe females. I have around a dozen of them now! There's a bunch of wwe dudes I've taken notice of. One is an Asian dude with a beard besides the two screening guys. Just looking for the right price.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I think there was a guy on the jocustoms site that was customizing/molding/casting CoD parts. I think his user name was Asphalt?

thecorporation

Task Force 27
Jun 9, 2011
Redacted
Moved the workbench outside for the day,just beautiful out! Had to start over on the penny dreadful male heads due to for some reason excluding the hats....really want to get more from this line. Pretty neat

Also doing more WWE stuff,and FINALLY got a decent first shrink on the chick monte sent me!! That hair is a bitch! Reminds me of Aliens Ripley's struggle! lol.

I'm very interested in the Josh Hartnett/Ethan Talbot Penny Dreadful head.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Those aren't done yet. They're knocked down about half way,then from there I'll dial them in. They are both completely different scales to begin with. I did the girl already tho

I think that's shrink#1 pictured,I'd have to look inside to tell,because I mark the masters. I shrunk that head twice. V1 is slightly larger then V2..

if I ever mail anyone a head with a number inside wrote in sharpie,I sent you something your not supposed to have:trollface: it's happened before.

All of the penny dreadful stuff is Gigabread's. Once he gets his originals,and shrinks back I can distribute copies...

Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I think there was a guy on the jocustoms site that was customizing/molding/casting CoD parts. I think his user name was Asphalt?

I'd love to see some CoD Joes done by other people, just to see how they tackled certain characters and challenges. There are only so many options when dealing with limited part choices and such a small scale.

I'm sure someone really talented could sculpt parts, but I was trying to stay away from that... again, I started out intending to do a half-dozen LBCs, and it turned into 60+ full-on painted figures with a fair amount of customization. Project scope creep... always a problem with engineers :eek:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Got Bertie's legs on. Weapon satchel and gun are old 21C Toys stuff.

Last edited:

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Here's what I'm coming into,...got a about 3 hours to get some progress...

There's at least 4 different scales in this pile....hmmmm,..

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
This is what I'm working on right now.

Attachments

• agentcolor2.jpg
    agentcolor2.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 26
  • colton color.jpg
    colton color.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 24