On the Workbench

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Here is my workbench and a few items in works...

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Put this intersting combo together.

Our Wars torso, vest and arms
Joe Head
FOV Tank Commander legs and boots

I like both brands and tried to make the ultimate, but cammo is to different, so trying to come up with something useful.

Leaning towards some type of PJ maybe. I'd like to do an Air Force Para-rescue dio

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I don't have pics yet, but I've started on my Serpentor custom this past weekend. I've sculpted all of the scales on the upper torso and have sculpted some other details. Still have to sculpt the scales on the lower torso and legs. It's a pain having to sculpt each individual scale, but I've wanted a proper Serpentor since the 25th line came out. He was always one of my favorites as a kid and Hasbro hasn't done him just in the Modern Era sculpts, IMO.

Also, I'm close to having my Recondo custom finished as well.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
i always found it funny that H could sculpt scales on the Marvel line but not on Serpy...looking forward to seeing the result CS

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Got my Type 92 painted. Need to add the tactical markings, probably this evening if I can figure out how to use those dry transfer letters Eddie sent me.

Probably gonna have to free-hand the Cobra sigil.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Anyone know a set of bloused combat boot lower legs that will fit the Lady Jaye thighs?

I really only need the knee and bloused part, as I think I'm gonna mate some Bbi combat boots on to them.

I'm definitely not opposed to using a set of Tunnel Rat lowers again, but I wanted to see if I could pull of the combat boot look first.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
putting together my "Big Dig" Ted Williams tunnel dio. About 7 feet long, using the thin cinderblocks for the walls and for the cieling a length of the box my new damn water heater came in that burst on me.

Need to drill holes into it for some lighting. I'll be able to shoot from both ends and at one end it becomes daylight sort of as the tunnel entrance.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Had more than the usual amount of time lately to work on customs, so I have some finished and WIP photos to post.

Cyborg ninja/Grey Fox:

Still working on this one - lots of issues to overcome yet (apparently posing him so one arm wouldn't disappear was one) but he's mostly a practice piece.

Nate Grey X-Man:

Yay 90s comics! Mostly an experiment in dyeing.

You can see on the side of his neck where I scraped off the paint. :(

Last edited:

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Wanted a post-apocalyptic survivor type who looked less military and more civilian, someone who was probably wearing mostly rags at this point.

Again, lots of stuff I could do better and need to learn (for instance, this was my first try at green stuff, and it didn't work quite how I wanted).

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Grifter from Wildcats:

Not much to him other than a web gear swap and a new head.

I liked the later versions of Grifter rather than the early trenchcoat-wearing one, which is why I went this way. I have one more Grifter idea to play around with, but that'll probably be a separate figure entirely.

Jason Statham:

Mostly just playing with an SDS head here.

Cheap versions of Ghostrider, Payload and Countdown.

Yeah, I want my pilots to have some uniformity (my helicopter pilots will be similar when I get around to them). Some minor paint on Payload's hair (barely noticeable) and Countdown's neck (likewise).

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ah, Wildcats. X-Men knock-offs one and all. I like they Statham head, but I think the skin where hair stubble is present needs some seeing to.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Damn, I was actually kind of happy with how that looked. What do you think I should do there?

Yours didn't turn out bad, man. The way you talked, it sounded like they were going to be awful.

I have that same head on the workbench right now. I just painted the flesh on his head a bit thicker to fill in those pores. He looks like he has really bad pitted acne scars. I know what they were going for, but the pores are a bit too deep and big.

I think with a slightly darker flesh tone on his shaved hairline (looks like you have 2 tones as it is) just a bit thicker may help to hide all those pits.

I'll let you know what I come up with, I've not gotten past painting the eyes and base flesh tone yet.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It wasn't so much the pitting (though now that you mention it) but the lack of discoloration. Not enough dileneation for MY taste. If you're happy with it then keep on trucking. :thumbsup:

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Bunch more from the weekend.

Bunch of practice heads. Some of these are intended for figures, some were solely for practice.

Some of these I really like - some, not so much. Particular now that I look at photos.

Not very far along, obviously. I like how his eyes came out, though.

Not sure I'm happy with his eyes now. Looks like I need to clean up around his mouth too.

Eyes aren't even and his eyebrows don't match now that I look.

You guys were totally right, female heads w/ hair in the face are tough.

I'm finding more flaws now that I look at the photos. :) hope this isn't obnoxious, I'm just trying to get feedback and improve.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Last batch from me for a while, I promise.

Waiting on the Retaliation figures to arrive so I can steal the web gear from the Beachhead or 3 pack SE for him, so I'm mostly just fiddling right now. I know I want to work on the legs, but aside from taking the knife sheath off, I'm not really sure what to do. I'd like to fix the holster so it has some kind of strap coming down from a belt, but don't really know how.

I am pretty happy with working out joint rub on his arms, though. Instead of swapping an SE torso and arms, I repainted a Steel Brigade one (again, mostly for practice).

Painted the face twice on this one. Still not liking the eyes.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
No worries, this thread is criminally unused.

I like that lard-ass head. Comedic gold potential.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
It wasn't so much the pitting (though now that you mention it) but the lack of discoloration. Not enough dileneation for MY taste. If you're happy with it then keep on trucking. :thumbsup:

Ah, ok, so you'd go for darker there? I have a few other heads like this, I might try that on them and see what happens.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Not bad, Fogger. Eyes are the most difficult to paint and practice is the only way to develop a method that works for you. Some of the sculpts are just difficult to paint eyes on. That RnR sculpt is definitely difficult if you're trying to stay on the actual sculpted eye as the eyes squinted and at this scale, painting squinted eyes sucks. It took me a few tries to get the eyes decent enough on that particular sculpt.

If you don't have plans for that Major Bludd sculpt, I'll gladly trade you for it ;).

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Not bad, Fogger. Eyes are the most difficult to paint and practice is the only way to develop a method that works for you. Some of the sculpts are just difficult to paint eyes on. That RnR sculpt is definitely difficult if you're trying to stay on the actual sculpted eye as the eyes squinted and at this scale, painting squinted eyes sucks. It took me a few tries to get the eyes decent enough on that particular sculpt.

I need to get a magnifying glass to help me with some of these, I think. Thanks, though. :)

If you don't have plans for that Major Bludd sculpt, I'll gladly trade you for it ;).

Pretty sure I'm going to do something with it, even if it's just slap it on a 25th body for now. :)
I'll let you know if I don't, though.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Got another set of TR legs, so I guess I'll be doing up that second chick grunt figure. May hold off on that until I've gotten some Vietnam figures ordered, though.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Especially the little tan sand bits.

At least it's only gonna be the legs on Rockblock.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Cool, thanks. Looks almost like a piece of styrene tubing would work for it.