Tutorial: Creating Dio Walls from Foam

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Those pics are sweet, Beeavision. What do you do for a living? I'm assuming, uh, that? Film model-making for miniatures? Special effects type stuff? Regardless, looks like fun. I'm starting to hate advertising. I miss making things by hand, everything I do is in the computer.

Eddie, thanks. I'm going to give you a pass on that comment, because there's some Eddie-isms galore in it. :)

Actually, that tiny "window" is a place I just put a "steel plate". I dunno what it is, could be a patched wall or some sort of electronic panel. It has tiny rivets in it around the edges that you can't see from that pic.

I kept the ruins modular for a few reasons. 1) it will be easier to store and 2) it will be easier to rearrange for different shots and to make it all look different. The only main drawback is I may lose pieces over time, and if I shoot it outside, they're sure to blow away in the wind. The foam pieces weigh next to nothing, so using most of these "set" pieces limits my use to inside.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
maybe use some tooth picks or tiny pics to keep stuff from blowing away and some touch-up paint handy to spot treat any holes...not like it would make it look bad...

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
Those pics are sweet, Beeavision. What do you do for a living? I'm assuming, uh, that? Film model-making for miniatures? Special effects type stuff? Regardless, looks like fun. I'm starting to hate advertising. I miss making things by hand, everything I do is in the computer.

I worked in both film and theater as a miniature maker and set builder. Mainly independent stuff starting as far back as high school. I also worked in construction as a carpenter. And also involved myself with wood working in my garage for a while building furniture and such. Prior to that I was a sales associate at Home Depot. Like you I found less time working with my hands and doing more on the computer as a freelance artist especially since it pays more while being a position of high demand among a wide array of career choices. But every now an then I find myself retreating to the garage to work on another project with my arsenal of power tools. Oh yeah!!

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Thanks, Cobraoner! Also, thanks to anyone wandering over here, I'm just glad you're checking it out and hopefully it can help get folks started on their own dios. I saw some HT guys were looking at it.

I'll check out those links and may add them to the front post too. Any links like that would be much appreciated, so I can keep adding them to the first entry as a better resource.

Here's a little shot I took tonight with my point-and-shoot camera while I'm finishing up the last few details of my jungle and city scenes.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
that came out...*goes to a thesuarus for better word than awesome*...topdrawer(?)...anyway, really cool shot, cool angle...dio looks even better with foliage...i was hoping you were gonna make a thread with him cutting down some cobra troops though...

i like the shells, but they're almost not noticeable...and maybe a dull coat on ole RB?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
finally bought some of this foam yesterday...could only find 3/4 inch...can't wait to try this out...you've insired MR

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Absolutely brilliant!!! I have yet to dabble in creating dios, but I would like to at some point. If and when I do start creating dios, I will definitely be using this tutorial. A very cost effective method for creating realistic dios. Again, excellent job on the tutorial!

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Those latest 2 are superb M Rex. I love the window's glass on the grey building. looks so unbelievably realistic, great job. The spiderweb is killer too, brilliant touch brother! Where did those trash cans come from. i like them alot.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Thanks fellas. I hope to get this one finally finished and shot by the weekend (fingers crossed).

Med, it's a Bruder playset. They're in 1:16 scale I believe, but work well enough for this. There was actually a dumpster, too, but it wasn't a "conventional" one like you see everywhere, and I didn't like it, so it's in my parts bin for now. The wood palettes also were Bruder, but from another set that came with some other shipping items that I'll use elsewhere. Each set was like $10, and not a bad deal for what you get.

I also ordered a small set that was supposed to have metal garbage cans in it, but it arrived as the wrong item, which was apparently my fault as the seller had the item marked as "items may vary", although all the pictures were the item I thought I was getting. I had hoped to use those, but probably not for this next dio shoot.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Oh, btw, the glass...

The broken glass was just thin clear plastic from a figure card or box. I cut it with an Xacto. The "spiderweb" one is a bit blurry, so the white lines came out thicker... It was supposed to be a broken window as well, but you're right, it looks more like a spider-web, so it works either way. I think if it's in focus, it may appear more like glass.

The "block glass" window was just scored plastic with wax paper behind it. I crumpled the wax paper, sandwiched it between a sheet of black cardboard (as a backing to block out light) and then put the "glass" plastic on front. Did a quick white wash to catch the cracks, and voila... Instant glass block window!

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Great stuff brother, Lots of great ideas i may try to implement sometime. Sorry about the spiderweb, when i looked again i now see what you mean with the broken glass, like a baseball hit just hard enough to crack but not shatter.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
No worries. It does look like a spider-web with my crappy iPhone 3G camera. That thing's a turd for taking photos unless you're in 100% daylight. :)

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
great new pics...

really like the steps...they don't look foam AT ALL...they look more like you sculpted them from clay...how did you make them?...are they hollow underneith or stacked up foam layers?

the cement wall looks nice too...the paint came out great...i think for the interior wall i'm doing, i'm gonna make it cement...i'll use the brick one somewhere else...

and get some pics outside...wanna see just how realistic this stuff can look

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
The steps are foam, too. They're a separate piece from the brick landing. I can show pics of the backside, it's not even painted. Just stacked foam slices, with a cap on both sides. I added some green moss to the crack on the top step to fill that in. That was a knife slip goof, but the foam is pretty forgiving because any slip-ups end up looking like realistic wear usually anyways. The brick landing area is painted all around, but is hollow underneath. Just 4 walls and a top cap for the "floor".

I've got 2 more cut-down sheets of foam that I need to do something with before I put the rest in storage for the time being. I'm cleaning up this weekend because I've got friends coming next weekend, and the girlfriend is about to murder me from the mess that's accumulated in the kitchen and dining room. I may just build some random structures, but I don't have anything really planned at this moment. Maybe some concrete walls/floors that are just gridded up so I can use them in various settings?

I could also do two more "jungle ruin" wall segments for another shoot with that set. They're pretty quick to make, it's just the painting/dry time that takes forever.

...Decisions, decisions.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
you need to make a smaller ruins piece for them to duck behind...like three "feet" high ya know?

and my woman has started to get annoyed with my foam mess...:(

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Thanks Akunin!

I hope to shoot a dio scene tomorrow during daylight with the DSLR camera, but here are some quick point-and-shoot shoots of my more complete street scene. Windows, signs, debris, lights, and pretty much everything but gutters (still working on those!) are in the shots...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
you need to change the words (stars) under your name to "King of Foam" or "King of Dios" or "Anal Retentive" lol...the attention to detail is, uh, i don't even have words for what it is...

i love all the signage....and that dumpster is so freaking cool...completely made of styrene?

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
you need to change the words (stars) under your name to "King of Foam" or "King of Dios" or "Anal Retentive" lol...the attention to detail is, uh, i don't even have words for what it is...

i love all the signage....and that dumpster is so freaking cool...completely made of styrene?

Haha, yeah... I'm shooting a scene tomorrow hopefully. I need to make some trash bags for the dumpster though. One detail I realized I'm missing. There's ALWAYS a bag or two laying outside.

The signage is just stuff I stole from online and sized to a 8.5x11 sheet and printed out. Glued directly on with Elmer's glue, but it's plenty easy to remove if I want. Yeah the dumpster is styrene. Needs wheels or blocks underneath, that's probably the only edit I plan on doing.

SIC DETH

Freedom is a struggle!!!
Mar 14, 2011
Fayetteville, NC

Agreed!!! This is spectagular work!!! nver saw so much detail put into a set!!! The guys on Robot Chicken should have a opening for you!!!

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
WOW!!! I need mutables of these sets! :D

Damn Rex, you really killed it on these. I mean seriously. You way outdid yourself on those. The amount of detail is effin' amazing. That dumpster is simply perfect when seeing it in the set.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
any clue as to what kinda scene you plan to shoot?
Destros cash seems like it'd be right at home there :D

Yep, what I was planning on shooting, was the Destro's cash, with the laptop/mission case from Resolute Destro, and a bunch of those briefcases from ROC being delivered in a wooden crate from Destro to a crew of Vipers. Joes were to intercept and raid, buuut....

a fight with the girlfriend over the mess ended up with me tearing the setup down and storing it away for the weekend. I got a bit pissy about it and actually slightly damaged a few figures in the process, but I'll set it all up later and shoot it. Was looking forward to it, actually.

Agreed!!! This is spectagular work!!! nver saw so much detail put into a set!!! The guys on Robot Chicken should have a opening for you!!!

Haha, thanks man. As always, I gotta give props as you were one of the customizers/dio-makers who got me started with the foam bit in the first place.

WOW!!! I need mutables of these sets! :D

Damn Rex, you really killed it on these. I mean seriously. You way outdid yourself on those. The amount of detail is effin' amazing. That dumpster is simply perfect when seeing it in the set.

Thanks man. I love the dumpster. Can't wait to use it in a dio story. I still want to add some garbage and bags to it to "messy up" the scene, but I think it's come a long way. I even got some lights in there, too.

did you leave the sewer lids removable?...that could have some potential coolness if so

Yep! :) I'll have to raise up the set and probably put something underneath it, but I made them intentionally removable for later shots like that. I think a shot looking up from the sewer would be badass too, but I need to paint the undersides first. Everything is stark white styrene or pink foam on the unexposed areas.

Last edited:

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
Thanks Akunin!

I hope to shoot a dio scene tomorrow during daylight with the DSLR camera, but here are some quick point-and-shoot shoots of my more complete street scene. Windows, signs, debris, lights, and pretty much everything but gutters (still working on those!) are in the shots...

I think I only have one more thing I'd like to see from you... "Commission" as I would seriously buy these from you!! I am still floored by your dio's! Best out there! keep em' comin!! :)

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I think I only have one more thing I'd like to see from you... "Commission" as I would seriously buy these from you!! I am still floored by your dio's! Best out there! keep em' comin!! :)

You should talk to my girlfriend. She'd take you up on the offer. She'd also sell my entire nerd-toy collection for a few bucks to clear up some closet space. :)

Thanks though, I may end up selling them off as I cycle them out and build new ones, but for now, they're too fresh to get rid of! :)

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
I will say that when I look at all the little details you put into this the whole set up is simply awesome! You did knock these out of the park Rex. Only thing that looks a little out of place is the door on the left. Instead of the elevator near it there probably ought to be a small stair going up to it.