Cloud Strife's WIP

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Crosshairs was a sniper...seems like Bullhorn may have had sniping skills too since he came with a 3 part rifle in a case...never had the figure though so I am not sure on that.
:D

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Bunch of 'em were qualified expert with rifles or were marksmen according to file cards, but weren't considered "snipers". Hell, even Low Light was a Night Spotter on his file card rather than a Sniper.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
i really like where you're going with her, but honestly, i think the pouches might be a tad too large in this case...i think if you just removed a bit of material from the backsides and made them sit a little closer to her body it would be better...though it could just be the camera angle...

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I think it's just the angle. If you check out the previous WIP pic from the side, in my opinion, they're pretty close to a double M4 mag pouch in this size scale. I know her arm is in the way, but you can see the depth of the pouch at the top and bottom.

Do you think they still need to be slimmed down, after seeing the side shot?

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I thought they appeared a tad bulky too, but they are heavy load outs for a bad ass chick, so I let it slide. I wouldn't redo it.

So are you going to do a second one with the Wry1 torso?

I wish I'd gotten that now, because I like my figures to not repeat construction, and the Shooter custom I had in mind will just look like a black LJ.

Actually, now that I think of it... Did you have plans for that spare Scarlett torso?

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I ordered 1 of the Wry1 LJ torsos this past December... So, hopefully I'll be able to put it to use when I get it, although the pouches need to be bigger on her vest as they're a bit too small (I know, the irony considering we were just discussing that my sculpted pouches might be too bulky).

I think I might just need to sand down the flaps on the pouches. as far as the pouches go, they're not much thicker than the pouches that were on the bottom of the vest in the WIP pic.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Yeah, I haven't glued the vest shut where I cut a section out to make it fit tighter. That's something I have about most vests or jackets that are made for 1:18 scale figures, they have to make the plastic thick enough that it won't tear when pulling it from the mold, or even simply putting the thing on the toy. This causes them to be too bulky in most cases.

I'm actually torn on having vests and web gear sculpted on versus an actual separate piece that's able to be removed. If sculpting the web gear or bandolier on the figure, you can actually sculpt it to look more realistic so that it's not so bulky, but then you have 2 separate pieces for the lower and upper torso parts, which causes the vest or bandolier to not line up properly if you twist the torso one way or the other. If you have a completely separate piece, it's nice to be able to remove it and you don't have to worry about the top half being located halfway around where it should line up with the lower piece, but then you have to deal with the sometimes awkward bulkiness of the vest.

So far, I've been leaning toward an actual separate piece as far as vest or bandoliers are concerned. Obviously, this makes it difficult to find any that fit a female torso half way decent.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
what i've found works really well with vests and harnesses and such is to dremel/razor away some material from the backside/inside of the piece....then put it on the figure and heat it up in front of a blowdryer till its real nice and soft...then quickly hold it in place against the figures shape and run under cold water...it'll retain the new tighter shape...this is how i get male vests and such to fit better on females...

Last edited:

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Thanks, for the tip, Eddie! (That's an Eddieism if I ever saw one). That really is an excellent idea and I'll have to give it a try.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
does the avengers thor head pop up like the gijoe toy line? and the hair?

Yes the head-sculpt is similar to the Joes in that it pops off, but the neck ball-joint is much larger than the ones on Joes. So, you'll either need to use the Green Stuff method or the Hot Glue method to get it to fit properly. Green Stuff works better than hot glue in my opinion.

The hair pulls of similarly to Joes as well.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I should have this head-sculpt by tomorrow for my new Tunnel Rat custom:

I think I'm going to start from scratch, and ditch my recent TR custom. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to update him. I don't believe I'll be going with his ARAH design as far as the palette of his clothes are concerned. Also, I'm trying to figure what kind of gear and load out a tunnel rat soldier would actually carry.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
lol... Yeah, I was thinking of lightening his load a little. I'll have to do some more research, but I have an idea of what I'm going to do.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Sgt. Slaugher (WIP)

I'll be repainting the legs I used for my first custom Sarge. I think I'm going to give him Woodland camo on his pants.

Still not sure which hands to swap out with this one. Sgt. Stone and the Night Adder's fall out. I might have to use some Green Stuff on the pegs to prevent that from happening.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Now that's a Sarge!!!...that guy looks like he could take down some BATs...that fat lard from SDCC looks like all he could take down is cake

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Fled, I wish I could take credit for that Tunnel Rat sculpt, but my buddy, Jose, sculpted that. Although, you can credit me on my paint apps, once it's painted :D.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Sgt. Slaugher (WIP)

I'll be repainting the legs I used for my first custom Sarge. I think I'm going to give him Woodland camo on his pants.

Still not sure which hands to swap out with this one. Sgt. Stone and the Night Adder's fall out. I might have to use some Green Stuff on the pegs to prevent that from happening.

Looking Good so far!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I bite my nails. It's a nasty habit and one that I don't suggest anyone take up.

I used to...then I got one of those tiny Swiss army knives...now it's habitual to keep them tidy...traded one bad for another, cept ones end result looks MUCH better...

Bonus, you always have a pocket knife on you along with a file and scissors...crazy how often all those things come in handie

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Also, I'm trying to figure what kind of gear and load out a tunnel rat soldier would actually carry.

Whatever.

Seriously, TRs were generally the smallest man in the squad. They ditched their gear (generally anything but the MG)and were handed a pistol and an MX-991/U (oft times a gas mask as well) and told to get at it.

So Tunnel Rat running around with the team MG isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.

There's no "wrong way" to outfit him outside of tunnel/confined quarters.

Oh, and someone needs to get the Sarge some fiber. Maybe some Metamucil and Dulcolax?

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Whatever.

Seriously, TRs were generally the smallest man in the squad. They ditched their gear (generally anything but the MG)and were handed a pistol and an MX-991/U (oft times a gas mask as well) and told to get at it.

So Tunnel Rat running around with the team MG isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.

There's no "wrong way" to outfit him outside of tunnel/confined quarters.

Oh, and someone needs to get the Sarge some fiber. Maybe some Metamucil and Dulcolax?

Yeah, I found some results googling Tunnel Rats, but I'm always iffy about the information I find on the internet, at least from random sites. However, they were saying pretty much the same things you just shared. They did mention they would use smaller caliber pistols, so as to prevent hearing issues that came with firing the larger caliber pistols in such confined spaces. Supposedly, they would have their loved ones back home send them civilian sidearms, like revolvers (which might be why the OG Tunnel Rat came with a revolver). They also liked to use German pistols like the Luger, but they were rare and hard to come by. Again, I read this on the internet, so I don't know how accurate the info is.

You bring up a good point in that he could pretty much carry any kind of load out when not in the tunnels.

As far as Sarge goes, he took a bite out of a B.A.T. and is having a hard time passing it...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The problem with the ME TRs is they gave him a .357 magnum.

One of the S&Ws from the Indiana Jone lines would be my go-to, though you could always give him a modern 9mm. Or run him through the tunnels with a suppressor on his pistol.

Anyhoo, I should probably get to piecing together my own TR.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
They did mention them putting suppressors on their pistols, as well. I forgot about that until you mentioned it.

I'm trying to figure out which camo pattern to give him. I'm leaning towards TS camo being involved since it became popular during the Vietnam War, and since Tunnel Rats were common during the Vietnam War. Just trying to connect dots for a specific pattern instead of just choosing one for the heck of it. Maybe I'm over-thinking it though.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I was thinking a camo or od utility top and blue jeans. I've been wanting to do an operator like that.

Good old woodland is good, too. As always, dress for the operating enviroment.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Here's Sarge so far:

A shot for height comparison:

Now I just have to figure out what his gear is going to be...

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
lol... He saw what you were doing while looking at the pics of him...

I repainted all of the skin as the BnB head-sculpt and the RB figure's skin didn't match.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That's the baddest a$$ version of Sarge I've seen...puts all past versions to shame, especially the now comical 25th customs