Cloud Strife's WIP

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Tropical Combat Neckerchief (read: bandana) should be dark olive drab. ;)

I'm assuming that you mean a darker olive drab than the olive drab I painted his shirt. If my assumption is right, is the Green Drab I used on Stalker's shirt close to what you're talking about?

Also, what color do you think his doo rag should be? I was thinking of using the same TS camo pattern that I'm painting on his pants.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
No, closer to Stalker's beret, actually.

And I was refering to his bandana. You could tigerstripe it, it wouldn't be "wrong" or look bad.

Just strictly speaking tigerstripes aren't an American-designed, produced or officialy sanctioned item. I've seen plenty of boonie caps (get one of Jessie's casts and go to town!) in TS, but not a bandana made of it.

This is all real-world "player knowledge" that you can completely ignore in a fictional war toy setting.

Personally I'm gonna go vertical tigerstripe jacket and blue jeans on my TR, and will probably go the faded olive drab bandana route.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I haven't had much time to work on customs lately (or do anything hobby-wise), but found some time this past Saturday and Sunday to work on Tunnel Rat. For the most part, the figure itself is finished, minus a few touch-ups. I still have to figure out how I'm going to get the web gear I'm planning on using (Resolute Stalker) to fit though. I'm trying to think of a way to extend the waist of the web gear w/out having to glue it to him and sculpting in order to fill in the gaps. I can't really think of another solution though. Ideas?

Anyhow, I painted the Tiger Stripe camo using a few different colors this time and I attempted to make the stripes look a little more rugged, or jagged, instead of the cleaner lines on my previous TS camo.

Let me know what you think!

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
very cool. Love the camo

I an idea I had for making webgear bigger for the new Night Ops Rock Roadblock was to replace parts of the webbing with the elastic from the Ultimate SE webgear. I bought a pack of the exact same stuff at Walmart. I am toying with altering a Cobra Officer webgear to fit him...anyway you asked for ideas!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I dig him! Don't know If I would have gone with the vintage style grease paint, but that's a small issue.

I think I would try to take the closure ring off of something like the Cobra Trooper web gear and put it in place of the closure ring on that Duke/Stalker LCE.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
very cool. Love the camo

I an idea I had for making webgear bigger for the new Night Ops Rock Roadblock was to replace parts of the webbing with the elastic from the Ultimate SE webgear. I bought a pack of the exact same stuff at Walmart. I am toying with altering a Cobra Officer webgear to fit him...anyway you asked for ideas!

Thanks, Matt!

That's a pretty good idea.

I dig him! Don't know If I would have gone with the vintage style grease paint, but that's a small issue.

I think I would try to take the closure ring off of something like the Cobra Trooper web gear and put it in place of the closure ring on that Duke/Stalker LCE.

Thanks, KT!

That's not a bad idea. I would have to extend the same amount on both sides, but should be doable. I could cover the areas where the belt is spliced together with pouches, or something. I'll have to look into it.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
TR looking good!...as for the webgear, I would splice in some small pouches or holster or accessory ys know, if you have them, sorta like you mentioned...

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Is that your o head sculpt or a Hasbro one?

I agree on the grease paint, I like the Renegades look, mabe a 5:00 shadow or dirt smudges, but that's just personal style.

You are the master of tiger striping.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Thanks, guys! I appreciate the feedback.

Is that your o head sculpt or a Hasbro one?

I agree on the grease paint, I like the Renegades look, mabe a 5:00 shadow or dirt smudges, but that's just personal style.

You are the master of tiger striping.

The head sculpt is one I commissioned the former sculptor of Slayer Design Studio to do. Hopefully, I'll be able to make casts of it, for sale, in the near future.

Yeah, I debated on whether or not to do the grease paint, but it's just one of those distinguishing design elements of Tunnel Rat for me.

Thanks, man! I think the rough edged stripes look better than the "clean" lined TS camo that I've previously done.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
So, I'm having a difficult time figuring out what to do with Tunnel Rat's web gear. From which web gear to use, to which color the web gear should should be. I modded the 25th Roadblock web gear last night so that the straps that go over his shoulders are shorter, and it seems to fit well enough (sorry, no pics, b/c I don't have internet at the house right now), but I'm not sure that I like how it looks aesthetically. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
So, I'm having a difficult time figuring out what to do with Tunnel Rat's web gear. From which web gear to use, to which color the web gear should should be. I modded the 25th Roadblock web gear last night so that the straps that go over his shoulders are shorter, and it seems to fit well enough (sorry, no pics, b/c I don't have internet at the house right now), but I'm not sure that I like how it looks aesthetically. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

For the color I'd think about a dark tan with a dark wash with a little black paint and a lot of water.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, I debated on whether or not to do the grease paint, but it's just one of those distinguishing design elements of Tunnel Rat for me.

I don't object to grease paint, I object to grease paint that is obviously of the superfluous, not-effective variety.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

Do you have any inspiration for his gear at all, or are you just winging it and seeing what looks good?

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
For the color I'd think about a dark tan with a dark wash with a little black paint and a lot of water.

Thanks, for the suggestion! I'll definitely see how it looks.

I don't object to grease paint, I object to grease paint that is obviously of the superfluous, not-effective variety.

Hmmm... Do you think thicker stripes would help?

cloud, tr's pants look freaking great.

Thanks, UC!

Do you have any inspiration for his gear at all, or are you just winging it and seeing what looks good?

I'm winging it right now. I checked out the 25th RB web gear (modded) and then a bandolier last night. I do think I prefer web gear over the bandolier. Pics or just descriptions of ideas are greatly appreciated! Also, color suggestions are appreciated!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Well, I'm not sure how actual TRs work, but I'd assume light slim gear would be preferred...though I REALLY like some of the newer harnesses from the POC and Retaliation figures...they'd likely look amazing, but not be very functional for TRs purpose...

Color wise, I'd try on any ole harnesses in varying colors to see what scheme looks best...personally, I'm thinking black or brown...

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
The painting on his pants is ridiculous. Great detail!

For his web gear, what about the harness that came with Renegades Tunnel Rat? Just the shoulder harness? He's a tunnel rat, he doesn't need anything big and bulky.

You may be missing things like a knife, radio, or mag pouches or something like that, which are functional items, so that "cleaner" route may not be the way to go. But maybe one of the more snug web gear items? Maybe a modified one like the one from 30th Stalker?

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Well, I'm not sure how actual TRs work, but I'd assume light slim gear would be preferred...though I REALLY like some of the newer harnesses from the POC and Retaliation figures...they'd likely look amazing, but not be very functional for TRs purpose...

Color wise, I'd try on any ole harnesses in varying colors to see what scheme looks best...personally, I'm thinking black or brown...

Well, from what I've learned through KT and the internet (we all know how reliable it can be...), tunnel rats take off most of their gear and go in with just a small caliber, or silenced sidearm (due to tight confined spaces and), and a flashlight. Outside of tunnels, they carry their normal load.

I actually decided to go with the Resolute Stalker web gear, like I had originally planned on doing. I had to cut and glue to get it to fit around the waist. I also painted it Field Drab, as Testors calls it, which is a brown that's almost identical to the brown on the 25th Tunnel Rat's holster.

I'm planning on taking some pics tonight and posting them tomorrow. Due to not having internet at my house right now, I'll have to put them on a flash drive and upload them from work.

The painting on his pants is ridiculous. Great detail!

For his web gear, what about the harness that came with Renegades Tunnel Rat? Just the shoulder harness? He's a tunnel rat, he doesn't need anything big and bulky.

You may be missing things like a knife, radio, or mag pouches or something like that, which are functional items, so that "cleaner" route may not be the way to go. But maybe one of the more snug web gear items? Maybe a modified one like the one from 30th Stalker?

Thanks, MR! What's crazy is that it was easier to paint and didn't take nearly as long to paint since I wasn't trying to get all of the lines "clean". I wish I would have used this approach with all of my previous customs that have TS camo. You live, you learn.

I almost went with that holster, but the fact that it can't hold a backpack kept me from going that route.

I actually thought about trying the 30th Stalker web gear, and replacing the pouches and mags on it, but for some reason, I wasn't able to get over wanting him to have web gear like either Resolute Stalker, 25th Roadblock or 25th Falcon. I did end up going with my original idea of modifying the waist on the Resolute Stalker web gear and am really happy with how it turned out. I think the main reason I like the Resolute Stalker web gear is that it's snug, like you suggested.

Wry1

Enlisted
Jun 7, 2011
fantastic work on that TR man, one of the best versions I've seen of him to date.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Thanks, MR! What's crazy is that it was easier to paint and didn't take nearly as long to paint since I wasn't trying to get all of the lines "clean". I wish I would have used this approach with all of my previous customs that have TS camo. You live, you learn.

It's also great for those of us that haven't replaced their broken glasses to go with the sloppier method.:)

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Here are some updated pics of Tunnel Rat w/his web gear. He's done for the most part. Just have to figure out which gun to give him...

Suggestions, critiques and feedback are appreciated!

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Oh yeah! Nice additions. Just enough of a loadout to carry some C4 and listening devices. Main pouch is low on the waist so won't most likely scrape the top of the tunnel. Keep that diameter small.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Only thing I would suggest is maybe add a slight color variation to the straps on the pouches for contrast...aside from that, he looks great...that head sculpt is fantastic!

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Only thing I would suggest is maybe add a slight color variation to the straps on the pouches for contrast...aside from that, he looks great...that head sculpt is fantastic!

Thanks, Eddie!

That's a great suggestion. I actually thought about doing that, but was lazy. I think I'll get over being lazy and do it, lol.

Yeah, Krexx did an amazing job on the sculpt.

That TR is freaking rad !!! Nice job dude

Thanks, Mike!!

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I recently had Krexx sculpt a head for Falcon based off of the SDCC Exclusive alternate portrait. I don't have the sculpt in hand, but it's on the way:

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I recently had Krexx sculpt a head for Falcon based off of the SDCC Exclusive alternate portrait. I don't have the sculpt in hand, but it's on the way:

He'll look good on a circa '69 SEAL custom.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
It's been awhile since I worked on a Joe custom. Since I'm home with my sick daughter today, I figured I'd experiment with different shades of green for tiger stripe camo. I had to take the pics with my phone since I don't have internet at home and can't upload them from my camera. So the pics aren't the best. I tried 4 different shades of green: the top front is Weyerhauser Green, the bottom front is US Tactical Mid Green, the top back is Warpac Grey Green and the bottom back is Ordic Olive:

After having done some research, I learned that there was no specific pattern used by the US military since it wasn't an actual pattern adopted for widespread use. So, the patterns were actually made with various shades of green, as well as the size and style of the tiger stripes.

I'm just trying to figure out which shade of green I like best for the pattern. I'm leaning toward the Weyerhauser Green as it looks like what is referred to as "golden tiger stripe", which basically is it how would look after getting bleached by the sun.

Any thoughts?

Also, I didn't add the tan and brown with the sample piece, but I might do it to get an even better idea. I will definitely be adding the tan and brown on my actual customs.