Cloud Strife's WIP

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Thanks, Eddie! It's just a shame that they ended up adding the backpack straps to the mold of the torso. I really don't feel like dremeling them off, and then having to resculpt and sand. Maybe one day...

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Here are some updated pics:

I decided to get rid of the backpack straps. I had to do some dremeling, sanding, sculpting, sanding, sculpting, sanding, etc... but I believe the work was well worth it.

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
I must have dyslexia. Every time I see this thread's title, I read it as "Cloud Strife's Wife".

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
Zack Fair = The Greatest Video Game Character Ever That Only Appeared in a Flashback.

Well until Crisis Core made him even cooler, and cemented him into my favorite Final Fantasy VII character in existence.

Let's not forget he's like sooooo hot.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Haha... Glad you dig him, guys! I'm still trying to figure out what else I might add to the figure before calling it finished.

After seeing Airborne's Ripcord utilizing my Tiger Stripe camo technique, I fell in love with the custom Ripcord. So, I decided to make one for myself but tweaked the recipe a bit. Still have to give him a head sculpt before calling him complete:

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I updated my custom Keel-Haul with the 30th Steel Brigade Trooper (v2):

Here he is before I updated the legs:

I've also been kit-bashing what I think will be an updated Capt. Grid-Iron:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I gotta do that with my KH, too. I had another I wanted to update, too, and now I can't remember which...

Interested to see what you do with Grid-Iron. I hated the character, but I kind of want him now due to his prominence in DiC. (Updated, of course... I think what you've got in store could be something really cool.)

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
KH looks much better!

I gotta do that with my KH, too. I had another I wanted to update, too, and now I can't remember which...

Interested to see what you do with Grid-Iron. I hated the character, but I kind of want him now due to his prominence in DiC. (Updated, of course... I think what you've got in store could be something really cool.)

Thanks, guys! I think KH looks much better w/those legs too. I filled in the peg holes on his knees and removed the knife on his ankle and filled it in as well.

I've been trying to think of a way to update Capt. GI for awhile now and finally started piecing him together. I tried to keep certain characteristics of the original design in play, but updated, so that he's recognizable as Capt. GI. Still working on the paint scheme...

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Still waiting on that jungle camo!

Yeah, I promise I'm still going to do that Woodland camo tutorial soon. I might work on my Footloose custom along side Capt. Grid-Iron, and make that tutorial at the same time.

No idea who Keel-Haul is, not being a "true" Joe fan, but that's a cool-looking custom you made. :)

Thanks, Fled! Yeah, he's not a well-known character, and if you're not a big Joe fan, you might not know him. I never had his figure as a kid, but I've always thought he had a cool design. So, I had to add him to my collection in Modern Era form. Now, I just need a USS Flagg for him...

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
Thanks, Fled! Yeah, he's not a well-known character, and if you're not a big Joe fan, you might not know him. I never had his figure as a kid, but I've always thought he had a cool design. So, I had to add him to my collection in Modern Era form. Now, I just need a USS Flagg for him...

Well, you did a bang-up job with the figure!
And I think we'd all love a Flagg to play with... well, those of us who aren't "true-1/18 finescale" whores. :D

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Duh, Keel-Haul is the "driver" for the biggest Joe toy ever! :D

I have been very passively looking for parts to make Grid-Iron from, and I have zero idea, really. You almost have to do his football helmet, but unless you get one of those 1:18 NFL figures, I don't know what you could make it from without it just looking like a military helmet.

Which you may be fine with doing. To me, though, he almost needs that goofy helmet. Maybe as an alternate/novelty helmet?

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Duh, Keel-Haul is the "driver" for the biggest Joe toy ever! :D

I have been very passively looking for parts to make Grid-Iron from, and I have zero idea, really. You almost have to do his football helmet, but unless you get one of those 1:18 NFL figures, I don't know what you could make it from without it just looking like a military helmet.

Which you may be fine with doing. To me, though, he almost needs that goofy helmet. Maybe as an alternate/novelty helmet?

I think the novelty helmet as an alternate accessory is a great idea. I've actually thought about using a Playmaker Football helmet, or at least the facemask, several times for a Capt. GI custom. My idea was to graft it to a POC Dusty helmet, if it would fit.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Ah, that's who makes 'em. I've only seen them at TRU, but they were always too pricy to get just for a helmet. I guess the football could be a good prop, too. Or you could use the one from the Marauders set?

The baseball players are figures I've looked at before, too, for Hardball. They seem fairly articulated, but the joints look like hell. The shoulders look like Transformers or something.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Yeah, the joints are definitely different compared to any other action figures out there. Wal-Mart carries them as well, at least they're on the pegs out here, and might be cheaper. I haven't really paid attention to the price. I need to ask MSWI which hat he used for his Hardball custom, as it looked great. Whichever hat he used, it fit on the Renegades Ripcord head like it was made for it.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Capt. Grid-Iron is pretty much finished... I have to paint a gun up for him and possible tweak his vest, but other than that, he's done:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I have that head sculpt... I may steal that use and make a Grid-Iron myself. I still think you need to do the alternate helmet, just for giggles... ;)

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ah, that's who makes 'em. I've only seen them at TRU, but they were always too pricy to get just for a helmet. I guess the football could be a good prop, too. Or you could use the one from the Marauders set?

The baseball players are figures I've looked at before, too, for Hardball. They seem fairly articulated, but the joints look like hell. The shoulders look like Transformers or something.

The joints fairly well, though.

If the football players are like the lameball players the heand will ikely be rendered useless converting the helmet to Joe use. The balls are glued in place, as well.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
That desert camo came out really cool...decided against the face guard?

I have that head sculpt... I may steal that use and make a Grid-Iron myself. I still think you need to do the alternate helmet, just for giggles... ;)

I'm still planning on making an alternate helmet for him. I haven't been on a toy run since I started making him, and have yet to get a Playmaker figure for the facemask. I was also thinking about adding a football to his rucksack as something he plays with during downtime. I've been told that soldiers actually do carry things like that (footballs, baseballs and ball gloves, etc...) for that very purpose. Or... I could strap some C4 to it, and have him use it as a makeshift bomb of sorts.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
So I'm assuming you meant that the helmet is glued firmly in place?

Hasbro's Joe team is the only one out there who seems to know how to handle articulation and accessory sculpts at this scale. And even now they can't seem to get it right across the board.

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
So I'm assuming you meant that the helmet is glued firmly in place?

Hasbro's Joe team is the only one out there who seems to know how to handle articulation and accessory sculpts at this scale. And even now they can't seem to get it right across the board.

Tieka's "Ourwar" figures apparently give Hasbro a run for their money.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Hopefully, someone here can help me out. I'm wanting to see what my Capt. Grid-Iron custom would look like with an Olive Drab shirt, and was hoping someone had photoshop and was willing and able to sub the color in on the shirt. I was hoping to get an idea of what it would look like instead of repainting the figure, and running the risk of not liking it.

Thanks, if anyone is able and willing!

crowncoke

Enlisted
Feb 9, 2012
I'm still planning on making an alternate helmet for him. I haven't been on a toy run since I started making him, and have yet to get a Playmaker figure for the facemask. I was also thinking about adding a football to his rucksack as something he plays with during downtime. I've been told that soldiers actually do carry things like that (footballs, baseballs and ball gloves, etc...) for that very purpose. Or... I could strap some C4 to it, and have him use it as a makeshift bomb of sorts.

Glad to see you are still fiddling with the ideas we talked about. Cannot wait to see this custom completed. you continue to amaze me with your work...

Keep it up.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Glad to see you are still fiddling with the ideas we talked about. Cannot wait to see this custom completed. you continue to amaze me with your work...

Keep it up.

Yup, yup. I'm also looking into getting a waterslide decal of Army's football insignia, and putting it on his helmet.

Here's my Road Pig that I'm working on after nearly a year of completing him the last time:

Krexx sculpted the legs for me, and I'm swapping the head that I had on him previously for the Dreadnok 7-pack Road Pig that came out last year. I resculpted his lower lip to get rid of the "derp" look he had.

crowncoke

Enlisted
Feb 9, 2012
I know you mentioned him having hip/upper leg issues, and I see what you mean. if you added a belt to his cod piece it would hide the issue.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Here's my updated Road Pig:

I wasn't crazy about the 7-pack Road Pig's head sculpt when I first saw it, but with a nice repaint, I like it a lot. I took a different approach with painting his hair this time and gave it a base coat of dark grey before dry brushing the white over it, and it definitely looks a lot better as the details are more visible than with straight up white. I also dry brushed the red stripe around his head as well.

Next, I got an idea yesterday of the parts I wanted to use for what will hopefully be my definitive tunnel Rat:

Obviously, the web gear I have on him now isn't going to work in it's current state. So, I'll figure out a way to alter the belt part of the harness so that it will fit around his waist. I'll also give it some different pouches and accessories.

I'm going with Tiger Stripe camo on his pants, but I've decided to alter my technique a bit. I'm using a different green and tan this time around and trying to make the stripes a little more jagged. I have his shirt painted an olive drab right now, and think I'll keep it that way. I'm still not sure what color I'm going to paint his doo rag... I was thinking about giving it the same Tiger Stripe camo pattern as his pants, but I'm not 100% sure.

I think I'm going to resculpt his right thigh and give him a drop leg holster, instead of leaving the pocket on that side.

Any critiques, feedback and/or suggestions are always welcome!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Tropical Combat Neckerchief (read: bandana) should be dark olive drab. ;)