[Contest] Custom Games

DarkWynter

Plastic Pimp
Mar 2, 2013
It's all because the prize is an exclusive...otherwise we'd just be voting for a naked female custom.

This. :)

Seriously though, exactly why I entered a Laser carrying T-Rex instead of a half naked amazon. I have used the 3 guidelines mentioned (custom quality, bio, and actual match-up) in my voting decision for the most part.

The exception being the underdog vote. On a few occasions I have voted for the underdog because I thought it was a solid custom I loved, but had the misfortune of being paired against a custom that was just on another level all-together. The vote simply gave a nod to a custom that deserved props on it's own but would not win anyway. Just to be clear, never has an underdog vote from me overthrown the favorite. It has aided in halting a total runaway though. LOL, may have even made someone who thought they were a shoe-in sweat.

My personal top ten favorites in no particular order:

Budo Fett (loved Vader too, but Fett had an edge)
Joker
Captian Zargon
Max Ray
Hulk
Oklahoma Don
Doom Space Marine
Ba'al
Harry Dresden
Gi Ty Pham

There were many others I liked.......Stallone, Custodian, oni, etc. but these would be the ten I walked away with if I were told to take ten home with me. Due to match-ups a few of my favorites could never advance far. The Dresden-Ba'al match was difficult in particular.

My personal favorite match to date has been the Gi Ty Pham-Stallone. The trash talk/pics was done perfectly. The voting also reflected the agony of choosing one of these vs. the other. This was a very close match all around.
Both customs were excellent and fun to watch battle. Even though I thought a jedi would win in this match-up, Stallone has my respect.

Before the brackets started my top four predictions were:
Oklahoma Don
Hulk
Captian Zargon
Max Ray

I thought it would end up being Don who eliminated Rex. However due to the way the match-ups landed, I am not sure who will fell Rex and who will end up in the top four. I think OverLord may break into the top four. Not one of my personal favorite characters, but a solid outstanding custom that has the quality to beat out many of my personal picks. The Joker or Blade also may take a top four spot.

I am also not so sure of a Hulk-Blade match-up as I once was. What would happen if Blade sipped on some Hulk blood? Got me rethinking that match-up if it happens.

I am going to be daring and predict Max Ray vs the Hulk as the final match. I am far less confident about this being the final match as I was before the brackets were listed and the voting started. I could see some twists shaking things up as the brackets continue.

Next week Rex does battle again, so the trash talk will start back up from him. He of course thinks all the contestants look......delicious.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
The dinosaur was not scale!! Cheaterzz!!!!

I actually like the dino concept because it was very outside the box. For me, that carries weight in a decision. I went at this contest with the mindset that I needed something that stood out and was different. Although Don is a head swap his "weapon" is what makes him unique. My other figure I actually liked more. Kind of sucks he had that for a first fight but did much better than I thought he would.

Shit talking in the threads really helps. It draws more attention to them and can possibly sway a vote or two. That can make a difference.

At the end of the day we should all just have fun and laugh at the contest. We are adults playing with toy.....collectables. :) Only reason tempers flare is because of the prize. If it was just some figures nobody would be so bothered.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I've just been voting for whoever isn't Major Blood.

As an aside, :wtf: is "LBC"? I've been seeing that everywhere and have no idea what it means.

Lazy Bastard Custom, Fogger. Which is all I can make. One of these days I'll be able to make every custom look like it's made of metal and survived two consecutive Apocalypses.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I thought it was "Lazy Bash Custom", as in a lazy kit-bash custom. I think that's what I read or was told when I first started customizing and getting involved on forums.

1337W422102

I come from the Net.
I made sure to go over-the-top with my Doomguy so he wouldn't feel like an LBC. So I took him beyond "Nightmare!" difficulty and into Brutal DOOM territory, giving him too much weathering. He even has two different blood washes: a flat red to look dried, and a gloss red to look sticky.

Hell, for the gloss red, I used Testors enamel rather than my usual Tamiya acrylic, and let the jar sit for so long that the contents separated: red at the bottom and murky clear shit with a hint of at the top of the jar. I washed on that shit and luckily it looked good.

Then I built the weapons and weathered the balls out of them, and spent a few days making that comic. Even read through the four DOOM novels for the filecard. All because the straight-up clean Marine just looked... blasphemous.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
This. :)

Seriously though, exactly why I entered a Laser carrying T-Rex instead of a half naked amazon. I have used the 3 guidelines mentioned (custom quality, bio, and actual match-up) in my voting decision for the most part.

The exception being the underdog vote. On a few occasions I have voted for the underdog because I thought it was a solid custom I loved, but had the misfortune of being paired against a custom that was just on another level all-together. The vote simply gave a nod to a custom that deserved props on it's own but would not win anyway. Just to be clear, never has an underdog vote from me overthrown the favorite. It has aided in halting a total runaway though. LOL, may have even made someone who thought they were a shoe-in sweat.

My personal top ten favorites in no particular order:

Budo Fett (loved Vader too, but Fett had an edge)
Joker
Captian Zargon
Max Ray
Hulk
Oklahoma Don
Doom Space Marine
Ba'al
Harry Dresden
Gi Ty Pham

There were many others I liked.......Stallone, Custodian, oni, etc. but these would be the ten I walked away with if I were told to take ten home with me. Due to match-ups a few of my favorites could never advance far. The Dresden-Ba'al match was difficult in particular.

My personal favorite match to date has been the Gi Ty Pham-Stallone. The trash talk/pics was done perfectly. The voting also reflected the agony of choosing one of these vs. the other. This was a very close match all around.
Both customs were excellent and fun to watch battle. Even though I thought a jedi would win in this match-up, Stallone has my respect.

Before the brackets started my top four predictions were:
Oklahoma Don
Hulk
Captian Zargon
Max Ray

I thought it would end up being Don who eliminated Rex. However due to the way the match-ups landed, I am not sure who will fell Rex and who will end up in the top four. I think OverLord may break into the top four. Not one of my personal favorite characters, but a solid outstanding custom that has the quality to beat out many of my personal picks. The Joker or Blade also may take a top four spot.

I am also not so sure of a Hulk-Blade match-up as I once was. What would happen if Blade sipped on some Hulk blood? Got me rethinking that match-up if it happens.

I am going to be daring and predict Max Ray vs the Hulk as the final match. I am far less confident about this being the final match as I was before the brackets were listed and the voting started. I could see some twists shaking things up as the brackets continue.

Next week Rex does battle again, so the trash talk will start back up from him. He of course thinks all the contestants look......delicious.

This is what I'm talking about!

This would be the blueprint on how to view the contest and vote.

Considering all angles, taking everything into account yet still adding the human element of having a "sentimental" favorite and possibly rooting for a character that may or may not make it.

I have viewed it much in the same way. I have picked a top ten, final four, final two as well.

Thank You DW!

no name calling, no subliminal cheapshots, no accusations, no crying about rules or who won/lost. Just a educated thought from an adult.

Thank You

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
There's a lot of great entries here, so kudos to everyone who entered. And thanks to Monkeywrench for doing the contest. I know how much work you have to put into one of these, so know your efforts are really paying off.

When it comes to voting, I base my decision on the level of customizing (part swapping, modding, sculpting, painting, etc.), creativity (idea and execution), and the presentation (posing, dio, photos). The character and bio don't really play a part in my vote as I'm more of a visual person and tl;dr. With that said, the most important thing to about your custom when you enter a contest is your photos and how you present your custom to everyone else.

You could have the most spectacular custom ever made but if the photos suck, it doesn't matter how good it is. You could have made an original sculpted figure but if the pictures are terrible, the repaint that used the right lighting and focus is going to look much better. It kills me to see something that I think looks really cool but I can't make out the details because it's out of focus or the lighting is bad. Also, dios are good for 1 or 2 shots, but sometimes they actually take the focus away from the custom. This is especially true if your custom blends into the background and the viewer just can't get a good look at the custom. It's always good to have a photo of your custom against a plain neutral background.

You spent the time making the custom and you owe it to yourself to make sure you present your work in the best way possible.

Yeah, I know, tl;dr

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
I was making up a cool bracket with pics of each contestant in the bracket with blood splatters or an X over the ones that didn't make it.. maybe I'll continue on with it and finish it, lol.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
This is what I'm talking about!

This would be the blueprint on how to view the contest and vote.

Considering all angles, taking everything into account yet still adding the human element of having a "sentimental" favorite and possibly rooting for a character that may or may not make it.

I have viewed it much in the same way. I have picked a top ten, final four, final two as well.

Thank You DW!

no name calling, no subliminal cheapshots, no accusations, no crying about rules or who won/lost. Just a educated thought from an adult.

Thank You

It's how I approached who I would enter for the contest. I figured I'd do a custom I've wanted to do for quite a while, I could pull alot of info about him for a Bio, and he's got a pretty badass set of skills when it comes to fighting, strength, and wizarding.

I was of the assumption that we'd have to talk some trash or come up with a plan / comeback when dealing with the what if's is the opposition said "my dinosaur will stomp your wizard"

Gearedcreations

Enlisted
Sep 12, 2013
Well I guess it's whatever people are just too angry I wrote what I wrote out of my own opinion not based on ffact but take it as you please.

Last edited:

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I really don't mind losing to the sub at least it's a custom but losing to a head swap has deterred me from entering any more contests on any site. I lose all the time and it's really not a big deal. It was fun, but losing in that way was kind of insulting to me and my customs. I feel the whole spirit of these contests gets shrouded by multiple accounts and favoritism. This whole comment is not aimed at just this site cuz ima cut out entering contests on any site. It also wasn't because of any one person's comment or anything just don't feel like wasting time. People can vote for whatever they want I don't really get mad if I'm not voted for but really? A head swap with no paint apps whatsoever....it was the breaking point for my willingness to enter contests. I hope you all enjoy your contests and hopefully bring back the spirit of even having them. Hope to see a good custom with actual work done to it win this contest.

Okay.. what was the point of this? You say you're not mad, but "IMMA QUIT CONTESTS!" And frankly, this proves you didn't read a god damn thing. First off, you didn't read the rules to provide a good bio. Secondly, you're discounting the criteria MW asked people to vote on. CUSTOM, BIO, AND "WHAT IF" FACTOR.

Also, who the fuck are you to decide you're king shit of fuck mountain who determines what's a good custom and what isn't? I guarantee people who did part swaps put in just as much work finding all the pieces they wanted as others did with flat, monochromatic paint jobs.

To quote you again:

People can vote for whatever they want

Way to go on showing you're a poor loser. Also, I read your comments on Facebook. Your backing out of contests was predicated on whether Budo Fett loses or not. So said your Facebook comment anyway:

Marcus Fenix said:
Yea once my Budo fett loses no more contests for me

So, you're lying when you say:

This whole comment is not aimed at just this site cuz ima cut out entering contests on any site. It also wasn't because of any one person's comment or anything just don't feel like wasting time.

Right now, all you're being is a poor loser with your panties all bunched up, crying about the fact that people picked a good bio and story over 'If you don't like it too bad'.

Also, this WHOLE fucking situation was silenced and resolved back in Eddie's Hulk vs Shock Trooper bracket, so why the fuck did you wait till now to cry about it?

Man the fuck up, dude. Damn. If you're gonna quit, stop fucking crying about it and just fucking quit. Otherwise, shut the fuck up and lose with some fucking dignity.

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
I didn't count on SZ winning this, or me even making it past the first round. I entered this for fun, but since people are refraining from reading the rules and bitching about what the custom should contain, it's getting kind of annoying.

I mean, come the fuck on. It's a bunch of customs, made by people with different talents, so what you lost? I lost almost every Banner Contest I've entered, but you know what I did? I had some fun doing it, and put what I could into the next contest. Get the FUCK over it.

Sorry guys, I just don't understand the drama.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
I really don't mind losing to the sub at least it's a custom but losing to a head swap has deterred me from entering any more contests on any site. I lose all the time and it's really not a big deal. It was fun, but losing in that way was kind of insulting to me and my customs. I feel the whole spirit of these contests gets shrouded by multiple accounts and favoritism. This whole comment is not aimed at just this site cuz ima cut out entering contests on any site. It also wasn't because of any one person's comment or anything just don't feel like wasting time. People can vote for whatever they want I don't really get mad if I'm not voted for but really? A head swap with no paint apps whatsoever....it was the breaking point for my willingness to enter contests. I hope you all enjoy your contests and hopefully bring back the spirit of even having them. Hope to see a good custom with actual work done to it win this contest.

This is why we can not do fun stuff. Your figure was a head swap with paint I thought? The one you got beat by was not just a head swap. The custom was his weapon which was the mech.

So far you have 17 posts. Most of them have been displaying you customs. You have commented maybe twice and then simply complained. Shit, you did not even take time to make a bio for your figure that lost. You said it was a nod to one someone else did. Again, the rules seemed simple and if you had an issue with what you were up against then you should have brought it up on day one. No need to constantly whine over it.

This is what happens when a cool prize gets put up. Instead of bringing bullshit to the site please go cry on facebook of where ever you came to here from. If you have not noticed, people try to act like adults and contribute to the site either by letting people know how to improve something or by entering our different events with no drama.

Lesson learned. Do not tell other places about events. If everyone does not get a gold star they do not know how to deal with life. Really a shame. This was an awesome contest MW put up and put a lot of effort into it. I do not see many other places making an effort to do things like that site wide but now I see why they do not. Rules were posted way in advance and there was time to bring up issues. Not after a loss.

Gearedcreations

Enlisted
Sep 12, 2013
Okay.. what was the point of this? You say you're not mad, but "IMMA QUIT CONTESTS!" And frankly, this proves you didn't read a god damn thing. First off, you didn't read the rules to provide a good bio. Secondly, you're discounting the criteria MW asked people to vote on. CUSTOM, BIO, AND "WHAT IF" FACTOR.

Also, who the fuck are you to decide you're king shit of fuck mountain who determines what's a good custom and what isn't? I guarantee people who did part swaps put in just as much work finding all the pieces they wanted as others did with flat, monochromatic paint jobs.

To quote you again:

Way to go on showing you're a poor loser. Also, I read your comments on Facebook. Your backing out of contests was predicated on whether Budo Fett loses or not. So said your Facebook comment anyway:

So, you're lying when you say:

Right now, all you're being is a poor loser with your panties all bunched up, crying about the fact that people picked a good bio and story over 'If you don't like it too bad'.

Also, this WHOLE fucking situation was silenced and resolved back in Eddie's Hulk vs Shock Trooper bracket, so why the fuck did you wait till now to cry about it?

Man the fuck up, dude. Damn. If you're gonna quit, stop fucking crying about it and just fucking quit. Otherwise, shut the fuck up and lose with some fucking dignity.

Well you got pretty angry at my decision but that's your right. Also as far as me saying what I said on Facebook which was once fett loses I'm done entering in contests was because I think sub zero is the better custom. I was already entered so can't do anything about it. Maybe don't get so angry though especially at my "poor loser" comments.

Gearedcreations

Enlisted
Sep 12, 2013
This is why we can not do fun stuff. Your figure was a head swap with paint I thought? The one you got beat by was not just a head swap. The custom was his weapon which was the mech.

So far you have 17 posts. Most of them have been displaying you customs. You have commented maybe twice and then simply complained. Shit, you did not even take time to make a bio for your figure that lost. You said it was a nod to one someone else did. Again, the rules seemed simple and if you had an issue with what you were up against then you should have brought it up on day one. No need to constantly whine over it.

This is what happens when a cool prize gets put up. Instead of bringing bullshit to the site please go cry on facebook of where ever you came to here from. If you have not noticed, people try to act like adults and contribute to the site either by letting people know how to improve something or by entering our different events with no drama.

Lesson learned. Do not tell other places about events. If everyone does not get a gold star they do not know how to deal with life. Really a shame. This was an awesome contest MW put up and put a lot of effort into it. I do not see many other places making an effort to do things like that site wide but now I see why they do not. Rules were posted way in advance and there was time to bring up issues. Not after a loss.

And all of this is based on one comment ;)

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Well you got pretty angry at my decision but that's your right. Also as far as me saying what I said on Facebook which was once fett loses I'm done entering in contests was because I think sub zero is the better custom. I was already entered so can't do anything about it. Maybe don't get so angry though especially at my "poor loser" comments.

I don't give a good god damn about your decision to quit. We'd probably be better off without the bitching and moaning. I'm angry that after all the dust settled, some other mother fucker (you) came on and started pissing and moaning all over again.

I'm angry because your whole post was built around some poor me bullshit that everyone's frankly tired of reading. Instead of a sportsmanlike,

"Well played, Sub Zero seems to be the winner this round!", instead, you decided to bring back up the same string of crap that polluted the Hulk vs Shock Trooper poll.

Gearedcreations said:
People can vote for whatever they want I don't really get mad if I'm not voted for but really? A head swap with no paint apps whatsoever....it was the breaking point for my willingness to enter contests.

That right there is the epitome of poor loser, bucko. Petulant, childish reaction just because people didn't like your custom. So instead of congratulating the winner, you're going to be a bitch about it and cry wherever and whenever you can. Maybe you should grow a pair and face facts instead of trying to turn this around on everyone else.

Gearedcreations said:
And all of this is based on one comment ;)

Don't think you're special just because you're getting called out on your idiocy. There are others that have basically pulled the same bullshit and have frankly ruined large public contests for everyone else.

If you don't like how the shit was run here, go spend your own money on your own set of prizes and hold your own contest on your own site. Quit fucking it up for everyone else.

Gearedcreations

Enlisted
Sep 12, 2013
I don't give a good god damn about your decision to quit. We'd probably be better off without the bitching and moaning. I'm angry that after all the dust settled, some other mother fucker (you) came on and started pissing and moaning all over again.

I'm angry because your whole post was built around some poor me bullshit that everyone's frankly tired of reading. Instead of a sportsmanlike,

"Well played, Sub Zero seems to be the winner this round!", instead, you decided to bring back up the same string of crap that polluted the Hulk vs Shock Trooper poll.

That right there is the epitome of poor loser, bucko. Petulant, childish reaction just because people didn't like your custom. So instead of congratulating the winner, you're going to be a bitch about it and cry wherever and whenever you can. Maybe you should grow a pair and face facts instead of trying to turn this around on everyone else.

Don't think you're special just because you're getting called out on your idiocy. There are others that have basically pulled the same bullshit and have frankly ruined large public contests for everyone else.

If you don't like how the shit was run here, go spend your own money on your own set of prizes and hold your own contest on your own site. Quit fucking it up for everyone else.

:) well I guess you are just an angry person. Sorry if you feel I ruined something for you. I already removed my whining comment if you want to keep this going that is on you. Have a good day bud.