Marvel: Phase Two

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Someone over at OG13 posted about Netflix and Disney/Marvel having a deal and bringing the Hell's kitchens guys (Daredevil, Cage, and someone else) to Netflix with a series for each and a movie finale. Or something like that. I wonder if these will play any role in the Avengers verse.

It's Jessica jones and Iron Fist as well. I'm kind of bummed though. 1970's Daredevil that was pitched would have been awesome. 2013 Hell's Kitchen isn't interesting in the slightest.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Someone over at OG13 posted about Netflix and Disney/Marvel having a deal and bringing the Hell's kitchens guys (Daredevil, Cage, and someone else) to Netflix with a series for each and a movie finale. Or something like that. I wonder if these will play any role in the Avengers verse.

It's Jessica jones and Iron Fist as well. I'm kind of bummed though. 1970's Daredevil that was pitched would have been awesome. 2013 Hell's Kitchen isn't interesting in the slightest.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48980

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Okay, I feel like I'm fairly well-versed in the Marvel Universe, at least more than the average movie-goer or tv-watcher but way less than the avid comic book reader…

But who in the fuck is Jessica Jones, and why should anyone want to watch a show about her? She doesn't even have a cool name! (And yes, I googled her, and I still want to know why there should be a show about her or why anyone would give a shit to watch it.)

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Okay, I feel like I'm fairly well-versed in the Marvel Universe, at least more than the average movie-goer or tv-watcher but way less than the avid comic book reader…

But who in the fuck is Jessica Jones, and why should anyone want to watch a show about her? She doesn't even have a cool name! (And yes, I googled her, and I still want to know why there should be a show about her or why anyone would give a shit to watch it.)

I liked Alias for what it was. I don't know how to fit that Jessica Jones into this. I personally think she's better served as a sidekick to Cage.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Saw Thor 2.

I liked it, but it felt a tad bit… "Middle Film" to me, especially considering the "twist" ending. I can't put my finger on it, but I don't know if it was that Malekith just never seemed very imposing, or he was sort of a flat villain, or what, but it seemed to be lacking something. Much cooler than Thor, though, as a lot of it is set in Asgard. Boy, did seeing all those ancient-future tech gadgets make me want to see a MOTU movie.

One thing that bugged me was continuity. The kinda-gayish "Warrior Three" (the Robin Hood guy) Fandral being recast was distracting, as was the fact that Idris Elba didn't have the same voice as in Thor (they used some modulation of his voice for a deeper, resonating sound in the first film, and lost it for the sequel) and Asgard looked… Different, too. Much like how Gotham City looked different in each of Nolan's Batflicks.

And it was surprisingly funny, without taking away from the "seriousness" of it all. And as much as I thought her character was sort of annoying and unnecessary, Kat Dennings' Darcy shared some of the funnier moments along with Loki and Stellan Skarsgård.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD

She's a supporting character in the Avengers who has had her own series a few times (Alias and the Pulse). Would make for decent gritty detective type stories, I suppose.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
It really is a shame that X-Men got stuck over at Fox before Marvel Studios hit their stride. That's a hell of a franchise gold mine with a ton of interesting characters and villains. I'd love to see Marvel's turn at helming that series, but doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
She's a supporting character in the Avengers who has had her own series a few times (Alias and the Pulse). Would make for decent gritty detective type stories, I suppose.

I think I can already see her series being my favorite but I will be in the minority as it won't probably fit in with the other Defenders. I was a huge fan of the idea of Daredevil, but I've always thought he's never came close to what he could be. Instead, he's kind of like the hypocritical Batman.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
I think I can already see her series being my favorite but I will be in the minority as it won't probably fit in with the other Defenders. I was a huge fan of the idea of Daredevil, but I've always thought he's never came close to what he could be. Instead, he's kind of like the hypocritical Batman.

Yeah, it kinda depends on which route they take with her.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
It really is a shame that X-Men got stuck over at Fox before Marvel Studios hit their stride. That's a hell of a franchise gold mine with a ton of interesting characters and villains. I'd love to see Marvel's turn at helming that series, but doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

But I think I like the fact it's forced them to keep any mention of mutants out of their other movies. Marvel as a universe feels like a large collection of parallel universes that occasionally merge and I've never been a fan of that. If the X-Men's main storyline is about intolerance and how it breeds genocide, it loses strength when you add in super heroes who are accepted and loved by humanity.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I wish they would of signed on a Punisher series. Not that Iron Fist bitch.

If only...also definitely R rated or even that NR rating...

... Boy, did seeing all those ancient-future tech gadgets make me want to see a MOTU movie...

As much as I want to see that, I really don't...there's no way in hell Hollywood won't f*@# that up..again...it could be cool, but you just know it won't be...

so stupid question:

Is the only way to watch these is to have a streaming netflix account?

Yup...$8...unless there's some kind of illegal way to watch them...

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Guaranteed they will be on the Netflix DVD too, but not until after they are done. I love my Streaming Netflix. I can watch it on any device, anywhere, anytime. Up to 3 rooms/devices playing at one time, same or different content. Way cheaper than having cable in every room.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
i had streaming years ago. I never used it cuz everything they had was crap. If it wasn't for sports, I would get rid of cable.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
So far I've refused to buy Netflix. I hate streaming anything. Quality is ass. I just bought "House of Cards" on Blu-Ray (still have to watch it) and I'm waiting on Arrested Development Season 4 to come to disc, too.

I may catch Daredevil some day on BD, but the others don't interest me all that much.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
So far I've refused to buy Netflix. I hate streaming anything. Quality is ass. I just bought "House of Cards" on Blu-Ray (still have to watch it) and I'm waiting on Arrested Development Season 4 to come to disc, too.

I may catch Daredevil some day on BD, but the others don't interest me all that much.

This is true...no matter what I watch it on, TV, tablet, PC monitor, it looks like a$$...not as sharp and it's darker...night time scenes are almost impossible to see what's going on...

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
What device, may I ask?

It's internal. My Panasonic TV came with viera.

Just for an example. I started watching this movie called The Aura on my computer and it looked like ass.

Started watching it again on my TV and the forest scenes looked like I was in my backyard. Lush color, no pixelation.

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Hmm. My TV is older. I got it in 2008, so it's not the newest. It's still a 1080i HDTV, just not all fancy with interwebz connectivity and whatnot. :(

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Mine also looks great. Bandwidth plays a huge roll in what quality they stream you. Your internet provider may not allow the top quality. There also may be a setting in your Netflix account. That I forget.

Also Use Windows Media Center to stream on PC. Much higher quality codecs than just streaming from the website.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
We just bought some new fangled samsung "smart" TV (1080p plasma)...it came with Netflix already installed...still looks like a$$...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Just caught Thor 2 again with the notwife, and caught something I didn't the first time…

Selvig says "I had a God in my brain" or something to that effect when asked why he's a bit "off". I couldn't make out what he said the first viewing, it sounded like he said he had a "clot" or something.

And on his chalkboard, with the sketch of the "world tree" (showing all 9 realms connected) Selvig had written "616 Universe":

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
SPOILER:

http://screencrush.com/thor-3-everything-we-know/

Says in there, that Odin's dead… coming from the studio peeps, including Hopkins that he's done with the role. :(

And I could definitely see Thor 3 heading into Ragnarok and the fire demons… That'd be a cool wrap-up. I'd like for Thor 3 to see the end of Asgard and leave Thor as the lone survivor back on earth. He's more awesome when he's the only Asgardian badass around. On Asgard, he's not so awesome.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I personally prefer earth based stories too...same goes for TFs...put them on cybertron, and I suddenly don't care...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I'd love to see War for Cybertron as a "live-action" quality film, but all done in CGI. I prefer when they're on earth too, but we see how the films have done with earth (aka 60% earth-people-drama, 30% car commercial, and 10% bots).

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
They should have at least shown Odin die if he's not returning for Thor 3

Well, how exactly is Loki going to keep impersonating Odin, if Hopkins doesn't return? Or will they just pick up after they've found out Loki's been faking it? I very much liked his portrayal of Odin, and would like to see him killed on-screen if he does die. That'd be epic.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'd love to see War for Cybertron as a "live-action" quality film, but all done in CGI. I prefer when they're on earth too, but we see how the films have done with earth (aka 60% earth-people-drama, 30% car commercial, and 10% bots).

:laughingemoticonwedonthave: