Marvel: Phase Two

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Heh heh...I've always thought he was kinda cool...especially small controlling bugs...

What? That sounds stupid! Haha. He even has a dumb name, "Hank Pym."

I still think it woulda been a good idea to at least introduce Hank (not Ant-Man) to lead into his solo film...

Well, if they introduce him and he's not a major cast member, they're stuck recasting him for the sequels. That always fucks up continuity for me, so if he doesn't have a big role and they haven't cast the right guy yet, I'd rather him show up properly instead of being a cameo or small bit part. How they did Hawkeye in Thor and Black Widow in IM2 was great, but it could also be like Howard Stark, Bruce Banner, William Stryker, Hank McCoy, Rhodey, Sabretooth... and so on, where the character appears in 2-3 films and is a different damn actor each time. That is distracting as hell to me.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
knowing how Marvel has worked, I think it's a pretty safe bet that Hank will get introduced in Avengers 2 some how. Whether it will be a quick ass cameo like Hawkeye in Thor or a after the credit scene.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Test footage shown a couple years ago at an SDCC I believe...I think it shows how cool the character CAN be...watch the second link...better quality but shorter...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
This makes RR sound kinda cool...like they want to try and make NOT something silly...

Said James Gunn on Rocket Raccoon, which he said is his favorite Guardins, "It's not about creating Bugs Bunny in the middle of The Avengers. This is about creating a character that's a little animal that was taken and experimented on and pulled apart and put back together again and implanted with cybernetics and he's half-machine and half-raccoon. And he's a gnarled, miserable, pretty-angry creature because there's nothing else like him. And that's [something] not easy to be."

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Well, if they introduce him and he's not a major cast member, they're stuck recasting him for the sequels. That always fucks up continuity for me, so if he doesn't have a big role and they haven't cast the right guy yet, I'd rather him show up properly instead of being a cameo or small bit part. How they did Hawkeye in Thor and Black Widow in IM2 was great, but it could also be like Howard Stark, Bruce Banner, William Stryker, Hank McCoy, Rhodey, Sabretooth... and so on, where the character appears in 2-3 films and is a different damn actor each time. That is distracting as hell to me.

Please don't get the MCU and other production companies confused on this issue. Howard Stark was different because they did not know how big of a role he was going to be playing in Cap at the time. Bruce Banner was because Ed Norton was difficult to work with and they did what needed to be done. Rhodey was similar to that, but Terrance Howard wanted more money, and Marvel felt different.

All the bolded ones...well fuck those guys until MCU gets the rights back.

Sounds like one of those creatures from one of the Narnia flicks. No want.

He's not. RR would make the Narnia things blush...then eat them for dinner.

Rocket is pretty badass in the comics.

Yes he is. He and Groot are my favorite characters so far in the comic.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
K...just checking to see if you guys think we'll really get something serious out of RR, or something more like the dumba$$ minions from Dispicable Me, or Jar Jar...some comic relief, ya know, for the chilrenz! :rolleyes:

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
RR is the deadliest person on the team. If anyone is going to be the comic relief it'll be Starlord...or Groot.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
After rereading this, I'm thinking maybe the big initial development may happen in the Cap film...maybe Pym will be in Cap?...grasping at straws, but it's possible...

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER Is The Most Important Lead-In For AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON

The Captain America: The Winter Soldier directors say their film has a "very strong hand off to 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'." Kevin Feige calls "Winter Soldier" the biggest bridge of all the Phase 2 films.

Brothers and co-directors Joe and Anthony Russo discuss their upcoming film, "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" with the Huffington Post and state that the events of their film are the most important in terms of heading into "Avengers: Age of Ultron." Said Joe Russo, "There's a very strong connection in the narrative between the events of the end of "Avengers" that drive this film -- and there's a very strong hand off to "Avengers 2" at the end of this movie. And Kevin Feige's whole thing is that this is the biggest bridge of all of Phase 2 movies; it really is. It does involve the most amount of Avengers of any of the films in Phase 2, and it has sort of a, you know, there's a very big shift in the universe at the end of this movie."

An interesting development/revelation. In terms of headcount, the film boasts the most number of Avengers team members in Captain America, Falcon and Black Widow. And who knows where the Winter Soldier's loyalties may lie by the time the film's closing credits roll.

For a while, many assumed "Thor: The Dark World" or "Guardians of the Galaxy" would be the most important film leading up to "The Avengers 2" as it was thought that Thanos would be the primary antagonist. But alas, it's Ultron and the events that unfold in "The Winter Soldier" will echo the loudest within the confines of the "Age of Ultron."

Read more at​
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/movienewsandreviews/news/?a=83847#agpVj6cUjrkro95H.99

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Coulson probably won't be in Avengers 2. Whedon feels it's too much story to have to tell again and wants to focus on the real story.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think I woulda enjoyed Thor more had they made him wear his helmet for more than a total of 10 seconds...it's open faced...I just don't get why he can't wear it at least in battle...

Yes, I'm shallow enough that lack of an iconic helmet caused me to enjoy a film less...

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
hahaha... Eddie.

I agree with the helmet but I understand. You pay big money to the actor, you want ppl to see the actor.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
hahaha... Eddie.

I agree with the helmet but I understand. You pay big money to the actor, you want ppl to see the actor.

- Spiderman
- Batman
- Ironman
- Hulk
- Captain America
- Green Lantern
- Magneto

Etc etc...point is, they all wear masks of some sort as their hero counterpart and are as big or bigger stars than Chris Hemsworth...

And to your point fogg, he has the f*@#ing helmet!...we've seen it on his head!...not giving you tude, just irritated about the whole thing...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
In a way, yeah...it's certainly not the actors face we are looking at when he becomes the Hulk...I scienced you!...check that sh!t out! :D

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
- Spiderman
- Batman
- Ironman
- Hulk
- Captain America
- Green Lantern
- Magneto

Etc etc...point is, they all wear masks of some sort as their hero counterpart and are as big or bigger stars than Chris Hemsworth...

And to your point fogg, he has the f*@#ing helmet!...we've seen it on his head!...not giving you tude, just irritated about the whole thing...

all of those characters spend just as much time NOT in costume then they do IN costume.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
You're right about that...BUT, when they are in costume, they more often have the mask/helmet on than not...Thor NEVER wears his, AND it's open faced!... And when he did wear it he literally had his helmet on for 10-20 seconds TOPS in two movies...I say two, but I'm not sure he wore his helmet at all in Avengers...I think they showed it go onto him in some lighting bolt costuming sequence, but in the next scene, he was w/o it...

I get the excuse that they want to showcase their star power (is Chris Hemsworths face really that recognizable anyway?) but Thors helmet is open faced, meaning you can literally SEE his face...so in that regard, it doesn't even make sense...and then there's foggs excuse, but they showed him with it so it sets a precedence that he DOES have it...

I just don't get why they don't want him to wear it at least into battle when it's so iconic of the character AND looks bada$$...

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I understand why they limited the helmet for the 1st movie, Thor is one of those characters that if you don't get right in the movie, then the whole movie falls apart.

From a movie producer's point of view both Thor & CA were big gambles if the audience doesn't take the characters seriously enough. In fact a good portion of both movies are designed to introduce the characters properly & if fact future movie were very dependent on how audiences received these characters. The managed to their credit to make a movie where unbelievable costumes become believable or at least in the context of the movie. Something previous comic movies have sometimes failed at.

We will likely see a lot more helmet in Thor 2 as the movie takes place in more of a fantasy setting.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I understand why they limited the helmet for the 1st movie, Thor is one of those characters that if you don't get right in the movie, then the whole movie falls apart.

From a movie producer's point of view both Thor & CA were big gambles if the audience doesn't take the characters seriously enough. In fact a good portion of both movies are designed to introduce the characters properly & if fact future movie were very dependent on how audiences received these characters. The managed to their credit to make a movie where unbelievable costumes become believable or at least in the context of the movie. Something previous comic movies have sometimes failed at.

We will likely see a lot more helmet in Thor 2 as the movie takes place in more of a fantasy setting.

:thumbsup:

This man gets it

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
I just don't get why they don't want him to wear it at least into battle when it's so iconic of the character AND looks bada$$...

Channeling my "inner H.I.S.S. Tanker member." Thor's helmet is chessey, lame, and causes the John Doe Film Goer not to take the character seriously. These films have to appear to a boarder audience than just fanboys and the general public wouldn't be receptive to a guy running in a winged helmet. The real reason, somebody thought Thor's helmet was wack. Now on today's Marvel Movieverse Phase Two News:

Quicksilver To Appear in Bryan Singer’s ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ and Joss Whedon’s ‘The Avengers 2′ http://www.slashfilm.com/quicksilve...-future-past-and-joss-whedons-the-avengers-2/

Posted on Thursday, May 23rd, 2013 by Germain Lussier
Evan Peters Quicksilver

Director Bryan Singer took to Twitter Thursday, announcing the latest piece of casting for his upcoming film X-Men: Days of Future Past. In doing so, he may have inadvertently created a rift in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Singer revealed that Evan Peters (American Horror Story) will be playing the mutant Quicksilver in the film. Now, that’s the same Quicksilver that Joss Whedon revealed would be appearing in The Avengers 2 along with his sister, Scarlet Witch.

How is that going to work? We’ll discuss, and have a Kevin Feige quote, below.

Here’s Singer’s Tweet:

Before he was an #Avenger, he was just a REALLY fast kid. Thrilled to say #EvanPeters is joining #XMen #DaysOfFuturePast as #Quicksilver.— Bryan Singer (@BryanSinger) May 23, 2013

Quicksilver (as well as his twin sister Scarlet Witch) debuted in the X-Men comics, and were eventually revealed to be the children of Magneto. More recently they’ve become members of The Avengers but their roots have always been in the X-Men. So the fact that Peters – a fantastic actor – will be portraying the character in that universe, makes sense. (We’ll be seeing two Magnetos and one could obviously have kids.)

What’s odd is the timing and rights issues. Singer has been casting this film for a long time and with production set to start soon, this announcement occurs just weeks after Whedon announced he’d be using the character in The Avengers 2. Contractually, Kevin Feige recently explained how the characters could appear both in the Fox and Disney Marvel universes:

We both have [Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch]. There’s a specific arrangement with those two characters that would allow us to use them with “Avengers,â€￾ but not discuss or reference their mutant or Magneto-related lineage. They can use them as mutants and as Magneto’s relatives, but cannot have anything to do with “The Avengers.â€￾

When Whedon last spoke about the characters, he alluded to their “rough beginning.â€￾ He was likely referring to their evil heritage, something that can’t be explored in The Avengers 2. However, he also suggested the characters would fundamentally oppose The Avengers, which is kind of the role Magneto plays in the X-Men films, providing the team with different views on their roles in society

All that rambling aside, here’s what’s likely going to happen. Evan Peters will do a great job in X-Men: Days of Future Past and Joss Whedon will cast someone who’ll also do a great job in The Avengers 2. Wouldn’t it be awesome, though, if somehow Peters reprised the role and got the link going?

UPDATE: Hitfix is reporting what I said above is true, but not the cool part. Fox and Disney will each present different versions of the character. Reportedly Singer created an action scene tailor made to Quicksilver and that’s why he’s in the film. It’s not because of some larger connection.

Evan Peters to play Quicksilver in X-Men: Days of Future Past

Aaron Johnson A Top Contender To Play Quicksilver in ‘The Avengers 2′
1 month ago by Rob Keyes

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Confirmed for Avengers 2 Aaron Johnson A Top Contender To Play Quicksilver in The Avengers 2 http://screenrant.com/the-avengers-2-quicksilver-aaron-johnson/

Over the last two weeks Marvel Studios has managed to keep fans’ attention away from recent news regarding The Avengers 2, by having them speculate over the series of high profile casting announcements for James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy which begins shooting later this month in London. Names including John C. Reilly, Glenn Close and Benicio Del Toro have distracted from that fact that both Marvel and rival studio Twentieth Century Fox are currently planning on confusingly using two of the same characters in their biggest respective franchise films over the next two years.

Joss Whedon first revealed his intention to introduce Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch during the red carpet of the Iron Man 3 world premiere and after confirming they are included in his first draft of The Avengers 2 screenplay, Bryan Singer one-upped him by announcing he’s going to use at least of them first in next year’s X-Men: Days of Future Past. The studios sharing the characters and bridging continuities doesn’t seem to be in the cards.

The Wrap has the scoop which indicates that Marvel Studios and writer-director Joss Whedon are already looking to cast the new “brother-sister actâ€￾ joining Earth’s Mightiest for The Avengers 2, which begins filming next February, and that Aaron Taylor-Johnson is the frontrunner for the role.

Aaron Johnson Ripped Kick Ass 2 Aaron Johnson A Top Contender To Play Quicksilver in The Avengers 2
Aaron Johnson Ripped For Kick-Ass 2

No other shortlisted names are known but whether or not Johnson lands the part, if the news is true that he’s at least a contender it does mean that any hopes of Twentieth Century Fox and Marvel Studios working together to share certain characters are shattered. Bryan Singer has Evan Peters playing Quicksilver in X-Men: Days of Future Past and Joss Whedon may or may not have Aaron Johnson play Quicksilver in his Avengers sequel. There’s still no word on who could be playing Scarlet Witch in either cinematic universe and we don’t even know if that character is part of Days of Future Past, although it would be strange for Singer to include one child of Magneto, but not the other.

Another interesting oddity is that it’s Matthew Vaughn – the man behind X-Men: First Class and the story of Days of Future Past - who was responsible for helping launch Johnson’s career in his own comic book movie, Kick-Ass, which of course has a sequel coming out later this year. It’s therefore an odd choice for Whedon to grab someone who’s just coming off of playing the titular hero in two comic book films, especially when the brand power behind The Avengers can be used to introduce another unfamiliar star who can be signed for a super-long-term deal with Marvel Studios.