Marvel: Phase Two

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
I just don't get why they don't want him to wear it at least into battle when it's so iconic of the character AND looks bada$$...

Channeling my "inner H.I.S.S. Tanker member." Thor's helmet is chessey, lame, and causes the John Doe Film Goer not to take the character seriously. These films have to appear to a boarder audience than just fanboys and the general public wouldn't be receptive to a guy running in a winged helmet. The real reason, somebody thought Thor's helmet was wack. Now on today's Marvel Movieverse Phase Two News:

Quicksilver To Appear in Bryan Singer’s ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ and Joss Whedon’s ‘The Avengers 2′ http://www.slashfilm.com/quicksilve...-future-past-and-joss-whedons-the-avengers-2/

Posted on Thursday, May 23rd, 2013 by Germain Lussier
Evan Peters Quicksilver

Director Bryan Singer took to Twitter Thursday, announcing the latest piece of casting for his upcoming film X-Men: Days of Future Past. In doing so, he may have inadvertently created a rift in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Singer revealed that Evan Peters (American Horror Story) will be playing the mutant Quicksilver in the film. Now, that’s the same Quicksilver that Joss Whedon revealed would be appearing in The Avengers 2 along with his sister, Scarlet Witch.

How is that going to work? We’ll discuss, and have a Kevin Feige quote, below.

Here’s Singer’s Tweet:

Before he was an #Avenger, he was just a REALLY fast kid. Thrilled to say #EvanPeters is joining #XMen #DaysOfFuturePast as #Quicksilver.— Bryan Singer (@BryanSinger) May 23, 2013

Quicksilver (as well as his twin sister Scarlet Witch) debuted in the X-Men comics, and were eventually revealed to be the children of Magneto. More recently they’ve become members of The Avengers but their roots have always been in the X-Men. So the fact that Peters – a fantastic actor – will be portraying the character in that universe, makes sense. (We’ll be seeing two Magnetos and one could obviously have kids.)

What’s odd is the timing and rights issues. Singer has been casting this film for a long time and with production set to start soon, this announcement occurs just weeks after Whedon announced he’d be using the character in The Avengers 2. Contractually, Kevin Feige recently explained how the characters could appear both in the Fox and Disney Marvel universes:

We both have [Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch]. There’s a specific arrangement with those two characters that would allow us to use them with “Avengers,â€￾ but not discuss or reference their mutant or Magneto-related lineage. They can use them as mutants and as Magneto’s relatives, but cannot have anything to do with “The Avengers.â€￾

When Whedon last spoke about the characters, he alluded to their “rough beginning.â€￾ He was likely referring to their evil heritage, something that can’t be explored in The Avengers 2. However, he also suggested the characters would fundamentally oppose The Avengers, which is kind of the role Magneto plays in the X-Men films, providing the team with different views on their roles in society

All that rambling aside, here’s what’s likely going to happen. Evan Peters will do a great job in X-Men: Days of Future Past and Joss Whedon will cast someone who’ll also do a great job in The Avengers 2. Wouldn’t it be awesome, though, if somehow Peters reprised the role and got the link going?

UPDATE: Hitfix is reporting what I said above is true, but not the cool part. Fox and Disney will each present different versions of the character. Reportedly Singer created an action scene tailor made to Quicksilver and that’s why he’s in the film. It’s not because of some larger connection.

Evan Peters to play Quicksilver in X-Men: Days of Future Past

Aaron Johnson A Top Contender To Play Quicksilver in ‘The Avengers 2′
1 month ago by Rob Keyes

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Confirmed for Avengers 2 Aaron Johnson A Top Contender To Play Quicksilver in The Avengers 2 http://screenrant.com/the-avengers-2-quicksilver-aaron-johnson/

Over the last two weeks Marvel Studios has managed to keep fans’ attention away from recent news regarding The Avengers 2, by having them speculate over the series of high profile casting announcements for James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy which begins shooting later this month in London. Names including John C. Reilly, Glenn Close and Benicio Del Toro have distracted from that fact that both Marvel and rival studio Twentieth Century Fox are currently planning on confusingly using two of the same characters in their biggest respective franchise films over the next two years.

Joss Whedon first revealed his intention to introduce Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch during the red carpet of the Iron Man 3 world premiere and after confirming they are included in his first draft of The Avengers 2 screenplay, Bryan Singer one-upped him by announcing he’s going to use at least of them first in next year’s X-Men: Days of Future Past. The studios sharing the characters and bridging continuities doesn’t seem to be in the cards.

The Wrap has the scoop which indicates that Marvel Studios and writer-director Joss Whedon are already looking to cast the new “brother-sister actâ€￾ joining Earth’s Mightiest for The Avengers 2, which begins filming next February, and that Aaron Taylor-Johnson is the frontrunner for the role.

Aaron Johnson Ripped Kick Ass 2 Aaron Johnson A Top Contender To Play Quicksilver in The Avengers 2
Aaron Johnson Ripped For Kick-Ass 2

No other shortlisted names are known but whether or not Johnson lands the part, if the news is true that he’s at least a contender it does mean that any hopes of Twentieth Century Fox and Marvel Studios working together to share certain characters are shattered. Bryan Singer has Evan Peters playing Quicksilver in X-Men: Days of Future Past and Joss Whedon may or may not have Aaron Johnson play Quicksilver in his Avengers sequel. There’s still no word on who could be playing Scarlet Witch in either cinematic universe and we don’t even know if that character is part of Days of Future Past, although it would be strange for Singer to include one child of Magneto, but not the other.

Another interesting oddity is that it’s Matthew Vaughn – the man behind X-Men: First Class and the story of Days of Future Past - who was responsible for helping launch Johnson’s career in his own comic book movie, Kick-Ass, which of course has a sequel coming out later this year. It’s therefore an odd choice for Whedon to grab someone who’s just coming off of playing the titular hero in two comic book films, especially when the brand power behind The Avengers can be used to introduce another unfamiliar star who can be signed for a super-long-term deal with Marvel Studios.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Fred Broca said:
Wouldn’t it be awesome, though, if somehow Peters reprised the role and got the link going?

Heck yes it would be!...obviously not happening, but it would indeed be super cool

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
I think that was confirmed earlier this year. He may make an appearance in Guardians though.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Well...there are links to him in the movie.

In the Ultimates comics (where the bulk of the MCU is being based off) Ronan the Accuser is Thanos' son. In the regular comic world, Gamora (female on the Guardians team) was raised by Thanos as a weapon.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Well, if you want a decent intro to them, pick up the current miniseries that's on the shelves now. I think the TPB will be out soon of the first few issues. I hope the feeling from that is what they put on the big screen.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I hope they don't mess with his look too much...he's pretty awesome looking as it...he doesn't need leather or plate armor

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Wow!...they aren't messing around!

Kevin Feige Says Marvel Has Their Movies Planned Through 2021

Source: WIRED
August 7, 2013

Marvel Studios is no stranger to planning things well in advance of their intended release, in fact they've already set release datesfor two untitled films in 2016 and one in 2017. Those three films have yet to be officially discussed, but Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige says they've got things mapped out even further down the road.

"I could arguably say what we're planning for the year 2021," Feige told WIRED. "Will that happen? I don't know. But what we planned for 2015 in 2006 is happening." Marvel's 2015 plans include Avengers: Age of Ultron and the long awaited Ant-Man feature.

Feige also teased further expansion of the Marvel Cinematic Universe with future films. "Five years ago, looking at our plan, we knew that if Avengers was going to work, the movies had to stand alone," he says. "Now we have to prove to the studio that we're more than just these five characters, these five franchises."

It has been hinted in the past that Marvel has plans for new characters in Phase Three like Doctor Strange and The Black Panther. Either of those could take on these future release dates as could aMarvel's The Avengers 3 (likely for 2017), another sequel to an existing film or even a completely new surprise.

What characters do you want to see Marvel try out in the future? Sound off below!

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
GOTG update:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08...a-and-the-cast-talk-star-lord-gamora-and-more

I found this interesting:

Thanos and the tie to the rest of the Marvel universe:

"We have Thanos," Gunn said when asked how Guardians fits into the larger Marvel movies universe. "Thanos is the thing that connects us to the Marvel universe, at this point. In the future, we'll see what happens after that. But right now, we're connected to the rest of the Marvel universe because of three seconds at the end of The Avengers."

for people who think the movie is too "out there". It doesn't appear to be too tied into the current CMU. So far anyway

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
Originally Posted by G.I.*EDDIE View Post
I just don't get why they don't want him to wear it at least into battle when it's so iconic of the character AND looks bada$$...

Channeling my "inner H.I.S.S. Tanker member." Thor's helmet is chessey, lame, and causes the John Doe Film Goer not to take the character seriously. These films have to appear to a boarder audience than just fanboys and the general public wouldn't be receptive to a guy running in a winged helmet. The real reason, somebody thought Thor's helmet was wack.

Jmacq1-and even the helmet they made for the movies really doesn't look that great. Any helmet with big wings coming off of it is likely to look a little silly on-screen.

It's really no great loss except to the most anal-retentive of fanboys. It's not like you can't recognize instantly who he's supposed to be even if you only have a little bit of familiarity with the character.

Told you.

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
Fred gets it!...wait, unless he's mocking me...in that case, you bastard!

Are you being sarcastic?

Again, this version of Thor is based on the Ultimates one. Who has no helmet.

Ultimate Thor

Regular Marvel Universe Thor

Movie Thor, I can see where an argument can be made that the ^^^^ was influenced by Ultimate Thor and he has no armor under the chest plate so it kinda makes sense that he doesn't don the helmet, however I'll I would still argument that this uniform is more in lines with the original and current version of the suit.

Movie Thor with armor, however this uniform is clearly draws more of an influence from the original and current Thor uniforms and he sports the armor under the chest plate. Why have this protection surrounding the torso while the head unprotected? Shit kinda looks incomplete. Also one has to consider that the original and current uniforms are more of an influence than the Ultimate uniform because of the cape and the Mjolnir. If the costume was based off of Ultimate Thor, why does he he have the cape and the traditional Mjolnir, instead of that over sized, wacky looking, "Itchy & Scratchy," mallet? Another pet peeve of mine about Thor that was overlooked was the Mjolnir lacked this, especially since this was main theme of first Thor movie.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Again, this version of Thor is based on the Ultimates one. Who has no helmet.

He had the helmet in the first film...it kicked a$$...am I wrong?

Are you being sarcastic?

I genuinely wasn't sure if YOU were being sarcastic :insert laughing emoticon that we don't have for some inexplicable reason:

instead of that over sized, wacky looking, "Itchy & Scratchy," mallet?
Fantastic reference! :D

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
He had the helmet in the first film...it kicked a$$...am I wrong?

Depends on where the question is being asked at. Not to start an argument, but I think that I've pretty much proven that the Thor costume wasn't inspired by Ultimate Thor, with that being said, he should have worn the helmet more, at least as much as Cap wore his mask. Hell Chris Evans even wore this in Cap movie:

I dare say he could have wore this into combat.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That's my biggest beef...Ironman, Cap, Hulk (to an extent), Spiderman, Doom, etc etc...all wore their masks into battle...and Thors is open faced!