Marvel: Phase Two

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Yeah, Marvel's kept pretty close to most of the original source material, save for Hawkeye and Whiplash/Crimson Dynamo. And let's face it, Hawkeye's comic costume would look a tad silly on screen.

Hawkeye's costume was based on his look in the Ultimates.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Yeah, I know. I said original source material. :wave:

Which goes back to the idea that these are (generally) more based on the Ultimates universe versions than their 616 counterparts. Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, etc.

EDIT: To say that better: you can't really argue that most of them are faithful to their original looks except for Hawkeye and Whiplash, when Nick Fury looks nothing like his original character and everything like his Ultimates character, and Hawkeye's the same.

Last edited:

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
A lot of the stuff in the MCU movies is coming from the Ultimates comic series. The Chituari are a Ultimate creation. The look of Fury is. I like how everything has fallen into place, and hope they can keep it all up.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I forgot about Fury, honestly. But yeah, I know what you're saying... I still argue that Thor looks more like classic Thor than the Ultimates one, but most of the Ultimates stuff is a slight update/reimagining of the classic, save for the more drastic ones like Fury and Hawkeye. (The Whiplash example was a bad one, considering that he was a mashup of 2 classic characters/villains in one in the first place.)

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
I forgot about Fury, honestly. But yeah, I know what you're saying... I still argue that Thor looks more like classic Thor than the Ultimates one, but most of the Ultimates stuff is a slight update/reimagining of the classic, save for the more drastic ones like Fury and Hawkeye. (The Whiplash example was a bad one, considering that he was a mashup of 2 classic characters/villains in one in the first place.)

Depends on when. Movie Thor, particularly in parts of the Avengers, is pretty well dead-on to the later Ultimate Thor look.

There's also a heavy amount of Ultimate influence in the story, including the idea that S.H.I.E.L.D. and Nick Fury help to get the Avengers together, the Hawkeye/Widow partnership, etc. It's not entirely one or the other (since Loki was involved in getting the Avengers together in the MU), but the influence is there.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Eh, I'm okay with modernized updates, as a lot of the designs could look silly on film.

As much as I'd love to see a live-action Wolverine with his mask, I think it's sort of like Hawkeye... It'd just look a little silly. I think Cap's uniform in his solo film looked pretty cool, but the mask redesign in Avengers looked downright silly. Made him look cross-eyed.

I do think Hawkeye's costume was a tad too modern when paired with the others, but it's not one I had any real issues with. They did a great job making Thor's costume look un-silly, which is the one I'd had my biggest doubts with in the first place.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Eh, I'm okay with modernized updates, as a lot of the designs could look silly on film.

As much as I'd love to see a live-action Wolverine with his mask, I think it's sort of like Hawkeye... It'd just look a little silly. I think Cap's uniform in his solo film looked pretty cool, but the mask redesign in Avengers looked downright silly. Made him look cross-eyed.

I do think Hawkeye's costume was a tad too modern when paired with the others, but it's not one I had any real issues with. They did a great job making Thor's costume look un-silly, which is the one I'd had my biggest doubts with in the first place.

agreed 100%

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Wonder where SHIELD fits in?

Scarlett Johansson Talks Timeline of Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Given the sometimes confusing nature of the Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline, it's a bit of a surprise how clean cut Phase 2 is becoming. Iron Man 3 was set about six months after The Avengers withThor: The Dark World following a similar path, and now Scarlett Johansson has confirmed that Captain America: The Winter Soldier is set a whole two years after the film.

"This film is in real time," she said in an interview with Refinery29. "It's been two years since [the characters] appeared, and now both are agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. fighting in the streets. We are not superheroes flying side by side. They help each other because we are fighting in a similar way. It’s a working relationship."

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Oh. Yes.

I love the angle they are taking...a more thriller type film...

Isn't crossbones supposed to be in this film?...I don't think I saw him in the trailer...

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Don't really care for the Winter Soldier kind of looking like the guy from Leverage with The Darkness mask.