Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ridiculous amount of Marvel news in the past couple days to even post about, especially toDay...

I think my fave was seeing Vision and Ant-Mans helmet (that he'll never wear :rolleyes:)

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Wonder if it's one of two end scenes...they typically have a mid and end scene, right? Or is that not the case with EVERY film? Lol

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
I think Batman Begins showed that comic movies would work and sell in today's world if done well.

Blade sparked interested in the genre, X-Men proved the viability of genre, Spider-Man showed that the genre had the potential to yield a long lasting revenue stream. Not for nothing, the Nolan films didn't do anything for the genre, it was Marvel Studios that showed what the genre could be if it was realized and worked to it's fullest potential. It was only if the success of Marvel's The Avengers that Warner Bros. was forced to get to off of it's collective ass and develop their DC properties into film projects. If the Iron Man, Cap, and Thor films brick, then we don't get a cinematic DC universe. The WB would have continued to play it safe with Superman and Batman reboots about once a decade, and who would thought it would have been Marvel to prove to DC the viability of superheroes as profitable big budget film projects. I can on that "other site," and post a thread entitled, "When We Do Get Out Justice League Movie" and cats over there were saying that it would never happen.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
The Nolan flicks showed that a comic book character could be placed in a real life world and not seem hokey. Spiderman, X-Men, Blade, for all they did to the genre, they still seem like they are based in a fake world, where the Batman films do not.

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
Why 'Ant-Man' Director Edgar Wright Exited Marvel's Superhero Movie

Why 'Ant-Man' Director Edgar Wright Exited Marvel's Superhero Movie

05/28/2014 by Kim Masters

Wright's quirky superhero pic made the studio's Kevin Feige nervous as a dispute over script changes and key crew exits leave a 2015 release date in question.

This story first appeared in the June 6 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.

After the abrupt May 23 exit of Edgar Wright, the geek-favorite filmmaker behind Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, from Marvel Studios' long-gestating Ant-Man movie, the studio has insisted the Paul Rudd film will be finished in time to make its July 17, 2015, release date.

But while a source close to the studio says a search for a new director is underway, some observers believe Marvel president Kevin Feige will have a hard time pulling together the risky film in such a short time frame.

The challenges are clear in finding a director who can pick up a project infused with Wright's vision for years. In addition, sources say the film's key crew -- its heads of departments -- departed when it became clear production would not begin as scheduled July 28. Rudd's reps say he's still in, and a source close to the production says all key crew positions will be filled shortly.

Wright, 40, is an irreverent British filmmaker, and sources say Marvel had been unhappy with his take on Ant-Man for weeks. Originally set to begin shooting June 2, the production had been put on hiatus while Feige ordered revisions of the script that was co-written by Wright and Joe Cornish. According to sources, Wright had been willing to make revisions earlier in the process. But the new rewrites took place without Wright's input, and when he received Marvel's new version early during the week of May 19, he walked, prompting a joint statement announcing his exit "due to differences in their visions of the film."

The move came as a shock because Wright had been working on the project -- about a scientist who can shrink to the size of an ant -- since 2006. Feige told MTV in 2013 that Wright's vision "is the only reason we're making the movie." But Marvel and Wright were different entities when they began their relationship. Marvel was an upstart, independent and feisty as it began building the Marvel Studios brand with the first two Iron Man films and Captain America: The First Avenger.

Now owned by Disney, Marvel has established itself as a reliable maker of hits. Feige essentially is the showrunner on $150 million episodes in a Marvel universe that expands in phases. The company "Marvel-izes" its projects, as a source with ties to the company puts it. That sometimes leads to clashes with filmmakers who have strong points of view, as Kenneth Branagh found during the making of Thor. He did not return for the sequel, nor did Joe Johnston for Captain America. Patty Jenkins, who directed the 2003 Charlize Theron hit Monster, was hired for Thor 2 then fired. Edward Norton clashed with Marvel during post on The Incredible Hulk and was replaced by Mark Ruffalo for the character's return in The Avengers. Terrence Howard similarly was replaced by Don Cheadle in the Iron Man sequels. And on May 24, Drew Goddard was replaced as showrunner by Steven S. DeKnight on Marvel's upcoming Netflix series Daredevil (though Goddard is working on Sony's Marvel movie Sinister Six).

(STORY: Disney Moves Marvel's 'Ant-Man' Release Date, Disney Moves Marvel's 'Ant-Man' Release Date - Hollywood Reporter)

"Kevin Feige [and his top lieutenants] run Marvel with a singularity of vision, but when you take a true auteur and throw him into the mix, this is what you get," says a source. "They don't want you to speak up too much or have too much vision. People who have never worked there don't understand how they operate, but if you trust them, they have an amazing track record."

Ant-Man's tone might have been too quirky for the Marvel universe. Insiders say Marvel feels it already might have gone outside its comfort zone with August's Guardians of the Galaxy, a space adventure heavy on odd humor and featuring a talking raccoon. In 2011, Sony's similarly comic The Green Hornet with Seth Rogen failed to launch the franchise for which the studio hoped.
Wright declined comment, but he tweeted, then deleted, the word "selfie," followed by a sad-faced Buster Keaton holding a Cornetto ice cream cone (Wright's trio of genre movies is known as the Cornetto trilogy). Keaton famously lost his independence after his ambitious 1926 film The General didn't perform well. He took a job at MGM, which he later called the worst decision of his life. Avengers director Joss Whedon also tweeted a photo of himself appearing dejected and seeming to salute Wright with a Cornetto.

Wright's first studio experience also was fraught. He directed 2010's acclaimed Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, which bombed for Universal, grossing $31.5 million domestically. Now his second studio film has been taken away. James Gunn, director of Guardians, might have said it best. He wrote on Facebook that Wright and Marvel "just don't have personalities that mesh in a comfortable way."

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Actually, all bold is hard as fuck to read on the eyes. The way the human eye reads characters is by counting negative space around the characters for the brain to decipher the words, and due to bold text being thicker, counter space is smaller thus making it more difficult to discern the shape. Also, the bolder letters blur more and cause eye strain.

The only way it could be more difficult to read would be if it was set in all caps, or alternating lower/upper like girls do.

Science! (Graphic design science, but still.)

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Nobody was debating the bold font (read! *snicker*) but yeah, if we were, I'd agree...I'd prefer regular font too...

Fred, is there a reason you prefer to write with the bigger, blacker font? :trollface:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
But posting an article, "because it's easier to read" then bolding the shit out of it makes it hard to read. That's the logic that made my head hurt.

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
Fred, is there a reason you prefer to write with the bigger, blacker font? :trollface:

Being that I'm the only that did it, when I find my threads, it makes them easier to spot.

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Features 4X More Marvel Characters Than Any Other Movie

by Rob Keyes

After the success of 2008′s Iron Man, everything changed for Marvel Studios – quickly leading to an acquisition by Disney – but for the Marvel Cinematic Universe it was time to introduce several important history characters from the comics in their own origin stories and eventually have them share the screen together, as a team, in The Avengers. It worked to world record-setting success, but as the genre evolves, expectations and competition rise, it’s time to do new and different things.

That’s where Guardians of the Galaxy comes in, a film based on what was up until recently, a relatively unknown commodity, and one featuring stories not even based on Earth. It’s the first Marvel Studios movie featuring not just a new titular hero, but an entirely new team of heroes, a new team of villains and a large array of never-before-seen locations, species and technologies. With such a vast playground for the Marvel Cinematic Universe to expand to, Guardians of the Galaxy has the potential to introduce and lay the groundwork for countless future stories and character arcs – meaning potential spinoffs, crossovers and sequels. How much will we really see then in the first GOTG and its 2 hours and 1 minute of running time?

When we met with James Gunn on the London set of Guardians of the Galaxy last year, we asked about other characters and potential Easter eggs, and while he wouldn’t reveal any specifics, he did promise that there will be more lore and characters than any other Marvel film to date – “tons,â€￾ to quote him.

Picking them however, isn’t as easily as Marvel Comics fans would like however, due to the infamous legal issues surrounding certain character rights being held by rival studios Fox (Fantastic Four, X-Men) and Sony (Spider-Man).

James Gunn: “I actually have to clear everything with legal. We put in little things like graffiti on the walls and stuff like that. There’s a ton, a ton of characters from the comics in this movie, in little tiny roles. But we have to clear everything with legal because once I use their name then I’m screwed in that scene or whatever. We have just tons of reference to you know Marvel Cosmic throughout the movie. And I’m certain probably the most Marvel comics characters ever in one movie.â€￾

It’s the rights issues that actually prevented Guardians of the Galaxy from featuring the Badoon alien species alongside the Kree, both important races in the larger Marvel cosmic universe. While Marvel Studios can use the Kree (Ronan the Accuser’s blue-skinned race), they had to use the Sakaraan instead of the Badoon. So, is Guardians really going to feature that many new characters?

It’s the rights issues that actually prevented Guardians of the Galaxy from featuring the Badoon alien species alongside the Kree, both important races in the larger Marvel cosmic universe. While Marvel Studios can use the Kree (Ronan the Accuser’s blue-skinned race), they had to use the Sakaraan instead of the Badoon. So, is Guardians really going to feature that many new characters?

“Oh, without a doubt. I would imagine time four, really. If you think about The Avengers, there was a few S.H.I.E.L.D. agents and then all of the Avengers and then be kinda done. With us, we have—almost every little character is named after somebody in the comics. Some of them are far stretches from what they were in the comics. But we try to keep those little things in there for the fans and they can go and they can look them up and see who they are in the Marvel wiki page and stuff like that. But there’s a lot of characters.â€￾

For fans, this hopefully means characters like Adam Warlock, Quasar and other Guardians like Bug and Mantis could be namedropped, but on the flipside, fans won’t want to see characters with significance swept under the rug with a strange one-and-done cameo or awkward onscreen translation. What characters would you like to see make surprise appearances in Guardians of the Galaxy? Which spinoff or followup would you want next most?

Guardians of the Galaxy is directed by James Gunn and stars Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel as Groot, Bradley Cooper as Rocket, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan, Djimon Hounsou, with John C. Reilly, Glenn Close as Nova Prime Rael and Benicio Del Toro as The Collector.

Guardians of the Galaxy opens August 1, 2014, The Avengers: Age of Ultron on May 1, 2015, Ant-Man on July 17, 2015, Captain America 3 on May 6 2016, and unannounced films for July 8 2016 and May 5 2017.

Last edited:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Being that I'm the only that did it, when I find my threads, it makes them easier to spot.

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Features 4X More Marvel Characters Than Any Other Movie

by Rob Keyes

After the success of 2008′s Iron Man, everything changed for Marvel Studios – quickly leading to an acquisition by Disney – but for the Marvel Cinematic Universe it was time to introduce several important history characters from the comics in their own origin stories and eventually have them share the screen together, as a team, in The Avengers. It worked to world record-setting success, but as the genre evolves, expectations and competition rise, it’s time to do new and different things.

That’s where Guardians of the Galaxy comes in, a film based on what was up until recently, a relatively unknown commodity, and one featuring stories not even based on Earth. It’s the first Marvel Studios movie featuring not just a new titular hero, but an entirely new team of heroes, a new team of villains and a large array of never-before-seen locations, species and technologies. With such a vast playground for the Marvel Cinematic Universe to expand to, Guardians of the Galaxy has the potential to introduce and lay the groundwork for countless future stories and character arcs – meaning potential spinoffs, crossovers and sequels. How much will we really see then in the first GOTG and its 2 hours and 1 minute of running time?

When we met with James Gunn on the London set of Guardians of the Galaxy last year, we asked about other characters and potential Easter eggs, and while he wouldn’t reveal any specifics, he did promise that there will be more lore and characters than any other Marvel film to date – “tons,â€￾ to quote him.

Picking them however, isn’t as easily as Marvel Comics fans would like however, due to the infamous legal issues surrounding certain character rights being held by rival studios Fox (Fantastic Four, X-Men) and Sony (Spider-Man).

James Gunn: “I actually have to clear everything with legal. We put in little things like graffiti on the walls and stuff like that. There’s a ton, a ton of characters from the comics in this movie, in little tiny roles. But we have to clear everything with legal because once I use their name then I’m screwed in that scene or whatever. We have just tons of reference to you know Marvel Cosmic throughout the movie. And I’m certain probably the most Marvel comics characters ever in one movie.â€￾

“Oh, without a doubt. I would imagine time four, really. If you think about The Avengers, there was a few S.H.I.E.L.D. agents and then all of the Avengers and then be kinda done. With us, we have—almost every little character is named after somebody in the comics. Some of them are far stretches from what they were in the comics. But we try to keep those little things in there for the fans and they can go and they can look them up and see who they are in the Marvel wiki page and stuff like that. But there’s a lot of characters.â€￾

For fans, this hopefully means characters like Adam Warlock, Quasar and other Guardians like Bug and Mantis could be namedropped, but on the flipside, fans won’t want to see characters with significance swept under the rug with a strange one-and-done cameo or awkward onscreen translation. What characters would you like to see make surprise appearances in Guardians of the Galaxy? Which spinoff or followup would you want next most?

Guardians of the Galaxy is directed by James Gunn and stars Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel as Groot, Bradley Cooper as Rocket, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan, Djimon Hounsou, with John C. Reilly, Glenn Close as Nova Prime Rael and Benicio Del Toro as The Collector.

Guardians of the Galaxy opens August 1, 2014, The Avengers: Age of Ultron on May 1, 2015, Ant-Man on July 17, 2015, Captain America 3 on May 6 2016, and unannounced films for July 8 2016 and May 5 2017.

Who is this and where did Fred Broca go?!

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
This is the first Marvel movie that I haven't gone to a midnight early release since the Hulk movie. I plan on seeing it Sat though.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Blade sparked interested in the genre, X-Men proved the viability of genre, Spider-Man showed that the genre had the potential to yield a long lasting revenue stream. Not for nothing, the Nolan films didn't do anything for the genre, it was Marvel Studios that showed what the genre could be if it was realized and worked to it's fullest potential. It was only if the success of Marvel's The Avengers that Warner Bros. was forced to get to off of it's collective ass and develop their DC properties into film projects. If the Iron Man, Cap, and Thor films brick, then we don't get a cinematic DC universe. The WB would have continued to play it safe with Superman and Batman reboots about once a decade, and who would thought it would have been Marvel to prove to DC the viability of superheroes as profitable big budget film projects. I can on that "other site," and post a thread entitled, "When We Do Get Out Justice League Movie" and cats over there were saying that it would never happen.

Yeah, I was thinking about Blade yesterday. Maybe if Snipes has a good showing with Expendables 3, they'll consider another. The third Blade movie wasn't necessarily bad as I think it was boring after Blade 2. Plus del Toro moving onto Hellboy didn't help it.

Last edited:

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
I saw GoG last night! I loved it! It had me rolling in a number of parts. Really, really cool action flick.

*Disclaimer*- Went to the food/beer theater and had a coupla drinks before/during. YMMV, depending on how much you like Marvel's Cosmic stuff.