NSA Q&A August Questions

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
We actually asked almost this same question @ the Con.

Right now they are still working on movie designs, and so the figures are all in the prototype phase. The movie people and toy people go back and forth a lot to make sure what they are filming can be made into a toy, and what they are making as a toy can be filmed etc.

As more movie info comes out, I imagine we will get more figure news to go along with it. I assume Joecon 2012 and SDCC 2012 will have the big announcements.. but it all depends on the release time-frame for the movie.

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
Yeah, I'd say right now they are in the brainstorming and mock-up drawings ;) I'd say in like 2 or 3 months the sculpting gets done then it is off to the tooling and confirming the paint colors and details and then all is off to the factory...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
A question that most others will likely be asking is something akin to this:

So what happened to the 30 for 30? We know it was changed to the "30th Anniversary Celebration" to account for, as Hasbro put it, not limiting yourselves to just 30 items, but as of SDCC, the outlook's not so good. With zero to show at SDCC (actually, negative to show since Kwinn is now possibly in question concerning when he'll apear and Data-Viper is gone), does that mean that the 30th line has been shortchanged for the movie line? What was the reasoning behind this, and can we expect to see anything more, or sadly, is that it?

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Also, is there any way to sneak in alternate heads in the upcoming movie figures, so that we could get something like a classic Heavy Duty design, but in package with a Dwayne Johnson head, but with an alternate green-ball-capped "HD" head as a disguise, or whatever you want to call it?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
i almost dont want to know the answer to that...i'm sure its all sh!t-canned, but they didnt wanna bring THAT much bad news to SDCC...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Or maybe the better question would be, why not have only shown the concrete stuff at JoeCon, and saved some items for SDCC where they could've gotten a little new buzz, instead of not only not showing anything new, but confirming cancellation on items shown just months prior?

Seemed like poor planning. Maybe they didn't know any better, but not coming to SDCC with anything new seemed like a poor move on their part.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Geeze Rex. Did you not see the damn write up NSA did? :rolleyes: The 30th is slowed down by HFE (Hasbro Far East).

Quinn was shown at Joe Con exclusively. That came right from John Ward. He was who we were directed to for any questions initially. It is still set to go but I think they are looking at feedback on it. Personally, I think it's a waste. It should be a SDCC item or something of the sort. Maybe even a Joe Con set with him and all the characters from that part in the comic book. I know you ARAH boys would rather see him at retail but he would generate more hype as an exclusive IMO.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
i almost dont want to know the answer to that...i'm sure its all sh!t-canned, but they didnt wanna bring THAT much bad news to SDCC...

They have the tooling for him done now, so they wouldn't cancel him. It'd be different if they just had the proto from joecon, but now they have some serious $$$ laid down for him. They just wouldn't do it after the investment for the tooling.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Geeze Rex. Did you not see the damn write up NSA did? :rolleyes: The 30th is slowed down by HFE (Hasbro Far East).

Quinn was shown at Joe Con exclusively. That came right from John Ward. He was who we were directed to for any questions initially. It is still set to go but I think they are looking at feedback on it. Personally, I think it's a waste. It should be a SDCC item or something of the sort. Maybe even a Joe Con set with him and all the characters from that part in the comic book. I know you ARAH boys would rather see him at retail but he would generate more hype as an exclusive IMO.

did they give you two a reach around while they blew all that smoke up your a$$es? :D

either hasbro is full of liars, or they have no clue whats REALLY going to happen day to day...we all well know that things they've said in the past have turned out to be complete BS...this "pushed back" business seems like more of the same...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone

I think he'd be great for customs, which is why I don't want him to be shoved into exclusivity. But there is question about when he'll come out... which is the uncertainty that I was referring to. If he's not in the 30th, then they may release him in an impossible-to-find Wave 5 of GIJOE2 toys. Grr.

Hasbro Far East is what's slowing them down on production of what's been shown, but what's coming after that? I don't doubt that we'll see those figures eventually, but it seems like that's it.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
They have the tooling for him done now, so they wouldn't cancel him. It'd be different if they just had the proto from joecon, but now they have some serious $$$ laid down for him. They just wouldn't do it after the investment for the tooling.

Not necessarily. They had the Data Viper too and he's toast so far. Granted, Kwinn has less stuff but things are getting close to the movie release.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Basically, after the 2012 stuff get ready for the movie. It is starting to film soon and they will want it for an early or late summer release. We will probably get revision cases if anything. GI Joe does not have close to the budget that Star Wars and Marvel Universe have so consider yourselves lucky with what there is honestly. If this movie sucks ass then get ready to start growing up.

They did say that having a new director and the cast so far is very promising. In nicer words they made it sound like Sommers raped them along with us.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I don't doubt that ROC fucked them royally. I expect them to stick to more military this time, hopefully. They'd be retarded not to, especially with ROC under their belt.

But why would they bullshit about the "we didn't want to limit ourselves to 30 items" nonsense, and just be honest and say "we are changing it to a 30th celebration instead" because I don't see us even getting a total of 30 items, personally. The way they worded it, sounded like there could be more than 30. Just be more transparent is all.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
Not necessarily. They had the Data Viper too and he's toast so far. Granted, Kwinn has less stuff but things are getting close to the movie release.

They didn't do the tooling on the data viper though, thats the thing. They announced it at joecon, but couldn't make it work, so they didn't gamble the $ for the tooling, as they weren't sure what to do with him. They've said they'll try and get him released in the future, but for now can't due to that they have nothing to release it with. With that said, they may have now made the tooling after all the wimps cried over him, knowing they will eventually make him, but I still would gamble they haven't and won't until they have definitive plans for him.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
I don't doubt that ROC fucked them royally. I expect them to stick to more military this time, hopefully. They'd be retarded not to, especially with ROC under their belt.

But why would they bullshit about the "we didn't want to limit ourselves to 30 items" nonsense, and just be honest and say "we are changing it to a 30th celebration instead" because I don't see us even getting a total of 30 items, personally. The way they worded it, sounded like there could be more than 30. Just be more transparent is all.

I personally can no longer see 30 things either. The only way I could see that happening is if they released more 30th items with the release of the movie stuff, and I don't see that happening with the current fan base.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Also, is there any way to sneak in alternate heads in the upcoming movie figures, so that we could get something like a classic Heavy Duty design, but in package with a Dwayne Johnson head, but with an alternate green-ball-capped "HD" head as a disguise, or whatever you want to call it?

I see I have an acolyte. ;)

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011

Don't forget the source initially too. It came from a place to generate hype. Maybe the info was passed down improperly? Maybe it was said one way to get more interest right out the gate? Who knows about that but what we do know is that things got pushed back. I just think questions like that are what many other places will be asking. The 2012 thing will be on multiple sites I bet.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Don't forget the source initially too. It came from a place to generate hype. Maybe the info was passed down improperly? Maybe it was said one way to get more interest right out the gate? Who knows about that but what we do know is that things got pushed back. I just think questions like that are what many other places will be asking. The 2012 thing will be on multiple sites I bet.

Sadly, I think you're right (on the source part, to build hype). I would hate to waste a question that others will ask, but I have a slight feeling that we'd get a better response than others, too.

But I agree, which is why I said that it was probably something others would ask. It's still something I'd like to know, but I think you're right, it'll be asked elsewhere. Probably just not as well?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I imagine they had some cool things planned for the 30th but in the middle of planning the second movie got the green light and they had to rethink everything.

I don't care how bad the movie is, I bet the movie toys will make more cash for Hasbro than a 30th line.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Haha, did you ask it previously? I think it'd work great, and would semi-satiate the rage of "NOT ANOTHER F***ING DUKE!" that we got from ROC.

We have a similar thought. I think they should make figures that depict "character X" that come with Duke or SE's head on the card, but come with an extra head so it's can actually be the correct character.

I.E. make a Modern Era Footloose, call it Duke, put a Duke head on it, but in the bubble somewhere is the correct Footloose head.

Win-Win in my books. I get a new character, the stores get their "Essential Anchor Character".

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
We have a similar thought. I think they should make figures that depict "character X" that come with Duke or SE's head on the card, but come with an extra head so it's can actually be the correct character.

I.E. make a Modern Era Footloose, call it Duke, put a Duke head on it, but in the bubble somewhere is the correct Footloose head.

Win-Win in my books. I get a new character, the stores get their "Essential Anchor Character".

But I need my character accurate file card so it's complete!!! ;)

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
There's also the character-accurate stand as well! But when it boils down to it, the movie-style and even POC-era file cards told dick about the characters. I think at some point, Hasbro should do archived filecards online, in higher resolution, so folks can just print their own damn dossier-styled cards.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That's a good question. Are gijoe2 figures going to have arah-style file cards or Roc crap file cards?

I'm hoping for proper camo Joe armybuilders. :D
Don't care what some half-assed blurb on the back of the card says.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
I could see that as being the downfall to joe. I could see it working though if they added a dio accessory or something like that with the figures

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Another thing i wonder is, will The Rock's movie figure have his likeness, or will he be like Sgt Stone and clearly not be (not even close), because I believe no matter what the rest of the figure looks like, He will sell well by himself if head looks like him. I could totally see WWE fans picking him up too. I personally will get 2 minimum no matter what if his head is accurate.

Probably way too early for that question though.

Last edited:

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD

I'm possibly one of the biggest Kwinn fans out there, and even I think he'd make more sense as an exclusive - as long as he keeps the cool tooling.

either hasbro is full of liars, or they have no clue whats REALLY going to happen day to day...we all well know that things they've said in the past have turned out to be complete BS...this "pushed back" business seems like more of the same...

I know this isn't going to be the "Hasbro sucks" party line, but it's entirely possible that they don't know. Plans get made and have to be changed down the road all the time. If they don't tell us, we bitch because we're in the dark, and if they do tell us and it changes, we bitch because they were wrong. If they tell us and it doesn't change, we'd still likely bitch. :)