Tofujesse Castings: Announcements & Discussion

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
My bad. I had both soundtracks on cassette back in the day. I played them on my single speaker Zenth radio (portable, 4x D-cells)...

Unintentional burn coming...I didn't have the cassette soundtracks, my mom did...she listened to them ALL the time...watched the VCR tapes of them often too...

Riotheory

Enlisted
Jun 26, 2012
Wasatch Front, UT
If thats in reference to my post, it's actually from Footloose and the guys playing chicken with the tractors...

I think it was also the theme song to some show where the actor decided to fire a blank-loaded pistol at his own head (funny-guy style, I assume), and it shattered his skull and sent fragments of it into his brain leading to DEATH. I don't remember anything else about it; however, it's etched into my childhood psyche like the Challenger explosion and the time I went to a diner to eat and thought the A1 sauce was ketchup and put it on my burger but my dad made me eat it anyways.

R.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think it was also the theme song to some show where the actor decided to fire a blank-loaded pistol at his own head (funny-guy style, I assume), and it shattered his skull and sent fragments of it into his brain leading to DEATH. I don't remember anything else about it; however, it's etched into my childhood psyche like the Challenger explosion and the time I went to a diner to eat and thought the A1 sauce was ketchup and put it on my burger but my dad made me eat it anyways.

R.

Jon-Erik Hexum.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
76...bicentennial year or some crap I can't remember

Ok, I'm a late '74, so we're not far apart. How did you not own any music cassettes in the 80's?

VHS?! Hell, I was taping Dukes of Hazzard on my betamax in the late 70's! My dad bought two so we could tape movies from the store onto blanks and watch them over and over. Good times.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ok, I'm a late '74, so we're not far apart. How did you not own any music cassettes in the 80's?

VHS?! Hell, I was taping Dukes of Hazzard on my betamax in the late 70's! My dad bought two so we could tape movies from the store onto blanks and watch them over and over. Good times.

December 76...so I'm late too...

Not sure why I was so late to the technology party...maybe my family just was in general...might be why I'm really not tech savvy still...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
December 76...so I'm late too...

Not sure why I was so late to the technology party...maybe my family just was in general...might be why I'm really not tech savvy still...

Don't feel bad. My sister is 23 months younger than I and she took to CDs years before I did. I just wouldn't give up tapes. Not sure what the hell that was about.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I'm going to change this thread title to "Off-Topic Chat: Sometimes Featuring Tofujesse".

If we can't talk other people on the internet who suck and VHS tapes, Jesse's thread will go stale! We're like the marketing department; all press is good press!

Eddie, if you're born in '76, don't be burning us with stories of your mom's cassettes! You know you had some too... F#%$^, I had Batman stories on LP!

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I remember when our home computer ran programs off of cassette tapes...not floppy discs, TAPES!

When I was young, my dad was an audiophile, so when CD's hit, he was all over them.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
OMG... I had a Spiderman story LP! Totally forgot about that.

Man, I remember playing my ESB 8-track while flying my X-Wing and TIE around the living room.

Of course it was the "Imperial March". Good times.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I remember when our home computer ran programs off of cassette tapes...not floppy discs, TAPES!

When I was young, my dad was an audiophile, so when CD's hit, he was all over them.

Did he get them and then discover vinyl's inherent audio superiority?

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
8 Track robot, My cousin had this & it was as interactive as you could get back in the day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnAhaZ5vlg8

My brother had one of these. Became a hundred dollar cup holder.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
My brother had one of these. Became a hundred dollar cup holder.

I had one of those (one of the later models w/o cassette)! And it was such a PITA to get it to respond to voice commands. I asked for it for x-mas because I fancied myself having a robot butler, like R2-D2... yet after spending hours just to get it to move across the room, I just decided to get my own drink.

Last edited:

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
haha, right, I used it as a remote control robot mostly when I played with it, I tried pre-programming movements to get it to go through the house but it never went straight so it always hit a wall. The other thing I did was record myself making fun of my brother so when he turned it on and used it, thats what he would hear. Man, that made him mad. lol.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
all press is good press!

So true..

Eddie, if you're born in '76, don't be burning us with stories of your mom's cassettes! You know you had some too... F#%$^, I had Batman stories on LP!
It's funny, we had records, SWs ones if I recall correctly...even had a tape recorder...we had a blast with that thing...but nothing in the way of actual music...I didn't really start caring about music, like developing my own taste until I was much older, like, into my teens...when I was a kid, I just listened to whatever my parents did...my mom was country (YUUUUUCK!) and soundtracks, and my dad was oldies and classic rock, which I still love...

But when I was growing up, only my pops worked (at Ford :)) and my mom stayed home with us kids, all 5 of us!...so money wasn't really flowing...that may also have something to do with our technological hold up...

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
It's funny, we had records, SWs ones if I recall correctly...even had a tape recorder...we had a blast with that thing...but nothing in the way of actual music...I didn't really start caring about music, like developing my own taste until I was much older, like, into my teens...when I was a kid, I just listened to whatever my parents did...my mom was country (YUUUUUCK!) and soundtracks, and my dad was oldies and classic rock, which I still love...

My mom was into oldies, my dad listened to country, and my older sister listened to top-40. The Footloose soundtrack was my very first real cassette (that wasn't a kid story or something). I was only nine, and I wore that mother out.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I had that footloose cassette too. The first cassette I ever bought myself was at a store called Hills and it was Run DMC's Raising Hell album. Man, I felt like such a big shot having an album that had swear words. lol.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Hills was great! Loved that store, The entrance was a food court/arcade. I would check the toys than go upfront and get either a hotdog or soft pretzel and play Kung fu Master while my mom shopped. Good ole days.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Children's Palace!...ahhh, good times...it was across the street from the mall...we'd get dropped off there and then walk across the street when we got bored...got a lot of TMNT there...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Children's Palace!...ahhh, good times...it was across the street from the mall...we'd get dropped off there and then walk across the street when we got bored...got a lot of TMNT there...

Sounds more like it's where you acquired your proclivity for the anus.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
We had Children's Palace just a quarter mile from TRU. Those were some prolific toy hunting days, and my grandmother was always accommodating.

Hills and Watsons were both small-chain stores that always had slightly different stock than the big toy stores. Nice place to hunt for hard-to-find stuff. Man, toy hunting was so much fun when almost every store actually sold toys. Long live the 80's! Stupid WM...

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Don't forget in the 80's a parent could get away with letting their kid play at an arcade or roam the stores in a mall safely. Looking back, everywhere I went with my mom I went right to the toys or arcade and she went her own way. I knew to stay put and she would come get me. I wouldnt dream of letting my kids run off in a walmart on their own.