Club Sub 2.0 (GIJCC)

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I'm in for four:
Dragonsky & Big Bear just to add to the OG
KeelHaul & Tollbooth because I'm a sucker for '82-'87 vehicle drivers

I might have gone for widescope for a normal retail price, but I'm not paying $50 for a millennium-era character. The rest are a colossal waste. I feel bad for those with the completionist sickness, having to pay through the nose for some really crap figures.

Hellion42

Meat Shield
May 1, 2013
Side 7
Well, it's more like $25, but I get your point.
I don't actively hate anything that's been shown so far, but nothing has really grabbed me either.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Well, it's more like $25, but I get your point.
I don't actively hate anything that's been shown so far, but nothing has really grabbed me either.

Nacho's not getting the sub. He's going through BBTS or after-market, so it probably is closer to $45-50 for him to get the select ones he wants. ;)

Goldbug

BND
Mar 15, 2011
Smallville, IL
goldbug.yolasite.com
A lot of folks at HT are busting nuts over FSS2.0 being better than 1.0, but I just don't see it.
There is no Surefire so yeah it's better. :D
Then there are these morons that defend the clubs stupid tactics.
http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-j...ust-got-fss-wave-5-who-spoiler-inside-14.html
All I did was agree with someone about the poor timing on FSS 2.0. Then these club sheep come out of the woodwork at HT.

Are they just not trying anymore?
They are trying not to try.
Besides no new heads. I'm really disappointed in those gimmick accessories too.
I'm less interested in Bombardier now because of that missile launcher junk.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
What's even funnier, is that was November 2011. Fast forward 18 months, and we finally got Cover Girl. I'm just glad she arrived, how sad is that?

Also, I really like this smiley.

Hellion42

Meat Shield
May 1, 2013
Side 7
It's cheery, yet obnoxious at the same time! I think I lifted that from tformers way back in the tfans days. Hell, I still use my INH 2.0 avatar from that era. Good times, good times.

What's really sad about CG is that the head DOES look like crap, and the hair is ridiculous. I'm half-mad that I sold my Sparta, but even her hair was red red. I shouldn't have to take a brush to a figure that expensive (or more in the case of Freestyle. Those damn goggles will haunt me until I strip the "factory" paint and do them properly.)

What's really funny are all of the rationalizations that still float around to this day defending the Florida's Natural coloration. Yes, chicks dye their hair. So do guys. Yet I'm sure that if Hasbro released Kwinn as a blonde there would be an uproar. Damn you double standards!

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Other collectors (specifically, 99% of HTers) and the Club have all but destroyed my love for GI Joe. I don't think that's what fans and clubs are supposed to do to collectors. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

I knew at some point I'd break my streak. Guess now is as good as ever.

Hellion42

Meat Shield
May 1, 2013
Side 7
Right and wrong is all a matter of perspective. Do what makes you happy. I'm not pleased with the way the club runs its business, but for the most part I'm okay with the creative aspect. It's a difficult bit of cognitive dissonance to reconcile, but in the end I like toys, Joes in particular. NOTHING that Hasbro, the club, or some douchenugget on a forum says or does are going to change the fact that I grew up with cheesy cartoons and kickass toys as a kid, and thoroughly enjoyed reading the comics in their entirety and getting kick-assier toys as an adult. Even the shit business practices of the club couldn't keep me from smiling when I saw Big Boa, or Topside, or Repeater. One day that may change, but even if it does, the history stays. The keyboard crusaders get under my skin more than they should, but they're meaningless in the big picture.

Overall, I agree. The club shouldn't breed anxiety over costs or lax business ethics or the distinct feeling that one is being taken advantage of. But it does for some, me included. So we make a choice. Hopefully it's the one that leads to the most happiness.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I am kind of perplexed as to why Bombardier and Cesspool were chosen. If ANY Eco Warriors figure was gonna get the nod I would think it would have been Toxo-Zombie.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
No doubt.

It could have been worse. They could have gone with EW Flint or Deep Six.

BEAM

Avoids Responsibility
Apr 12, 2013
Rhode Island
I'm pretty happy with the overall selection. FSS2 is a weaker line up due to the 4 straight repaints (Shipwreck, Airtight, Falcon, and Bombardier). I think the good outwieghts the bad. Can't wait to see Keel Haul.

The Club must have been watching a bunch of Ace and Gary when they approved Bombardiers green underwear.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I thought they were the woodwork?
Seriously though, you can't criticize the club, or the con, or the product, without the white knights charging in to the rescue. You can't even say that Cover Girl's hair is the wrong color. I shit you not.

I think the biggest problem at HT (and sites with similar fans) is that when you say you don't care for something, or that something in particular looks bad, the guys that DO like it take offense...like its a personal attack on their taste...it's as though you were talking directly to them and said "you sir, have poor taste and are an a$$hole."

I think a lot of forum problems could be solved if there was a sensitivity test when registering...maybe if you have extremely thin skin, you get denied...OR, maybe there's a sensitivity meter under everyone's avatar letting everyone know why so and so freaks out at the smallest of issues...the meter reads from little girl to chuck Norris :D

Other collectors (specifically, 99% of HTers) and the Club have all but destroyed my love for GI Joe. I don't think that's what fans and clubs are supposed to do to collectors. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

I knew at some point I'd break my streak. Guess now is as good as ever.

Welcome aboard...there's this other collection I discovered that's amazing...be aware though...the manufacturer is as bad or worse at customer service...though the product is perfect 100% of the time...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I'm pretty happy with the overall selection. FSS2 is a weaker line up due to the 4 straight repaints (Shipwreck, Airtight, Falcon, and Bombardier). I think the good outwieghts the bad. Can't wait to see Keel Haul.

The Club must have been watching a bunch of Ace and Gary when they approved Bombardiers green underwear.

Bombardier always looked like that, though. He can't be more accurate, although he's a figure I wouldn't want if you gave him to me, and that includes the vintage rare one. I don't collect rare toys and I don't give a damn that he's some mystery figure. He looks like shit, and is an awful repaint of a previously-pretty-bad figure (all things considered, Flash looks really dated and silly now.)

FSS2.0 has WAY more straight repaints than just Shipwreck, Airtight, Falcon, and Bombardier. Skullbuster is another straight repaint, and I'd go so far as to say that Desert Scorpion and Widescope are both repaints as well. There's zero new tooling, unless you count accessories that are VvV-era repaints.

That's seven figures that got paint jobs and a little switcheroo on parts with zero new/previously-unreleased parts (Shipwreck and Falcon aren't exactly direct repaints of their previous versions... Shipwreck has different arms and Falcon has different webgear...).

That leaves Cesspool and Tollbooth with new heads, and likely Keel-Haul and Big Bear. The only "new" tooling besides those 4 heads seems to be the construction of Big Bear, who uses the cancelled Duke/Alpine build. Unless Dragonsky or Skullbuster have new heads under their helmets (more likely for Dragonsky) the "new parts" effort seems a lot less this time around. Embarrassingly so.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I think the biggest problem at HT (and sites with similar fans) is that when you say you don't care for something, or that something in particular looks bad, the guys that DO like it take offense...like its a personal attack on their taste...it's as though you were talking directly to them and said "you sir, have poor taste and are an a$$hole."

But... but, a lot of them DO have poor taste and they are assholes! They'll buy anything with "G.I. Joe" stamped on it, regardless of design or quality! :proposetoast:

Welcome aboard...there's this other collection I discovered that's amazing...be aware though...the manufacturer is as bad or worse at customer service...though the product is perfect 100% of the time...

No way. MOTUC is WAY too far along now for me to even bother. Lah-lah-lah-lah-lah. Not listening! *sticks fingers in ears*

BEAM

Avoids Responsibility
Apr 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Bombardier always looked like that, though. He can't be more accurate, although he's a figure I wouldn't want if you gave him to me, and that includes the vintage rare one. I don't collect rare toys and I don't give a damn that he's some mystery figure. He looks like shit, and is an awful repaint of a previously-pretty-bad figure (all things considered, Flash looks really dated and silly now.)

Right, I get that he's accurate to the rare figure. There's just something about the 25th Flash sculpt that when the crotch is painted a different color it accentuates that area and it's badly sculpted, thereby drawing my comparison to Ace and Gary.

FSS2.0 has WAY more straight repaints than just Shipwreck, Airtight, Falcon, and Bombardier. Skullbuster is another straight repaint, and I'd go so far as to say that Desert Scorpion and Widescope are both repaints as well. There's zero new tooling, unless you count accessories that are VvV-era repaints.

That's seven figures that got paint jobs and a little switcheroo on parts with zero new/previously-unreleased parts (Shipwreck and Falcon aren't exactly direct repaints of their previous versions... Shipwreck has different arms and Falcon has different webgear...).

That leaves Cesspool and Tollbooth with new heads, and likely Keel-Haul and Big Bear. The only "new" tooling besides those 4 heads seems to be the construction of Big Bear, who uses the cancelled Duke/Alpine build. Unless Dragonsky or Skullbuster have new heads under their helmets (more likely for Dragonsky) the "new parts" effort seems a lot less this time around. Embarrassingly so.

You will not kill my buzz on FSS 2 with your logic.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Right, I get that he's accurate to the rare figure. There's just something about the 25th Flash sculpt that when the crotch is painted a different color it accentuates that area and it's badly sculpted, thereby drawing my comparison to Ace and Gary.

Oh, the green underoos do look silly. Like a stupid superhero. But if he WASN'T accurate, then folks would bitch that he's not. He looks stupid either way, I wasn't arguing about that. :)

More importantly, why is that fucking Flash mold reused so much for international "must-haves"? Give it a Portuguese or French name and a stupid deco, and folks will pay hundreds for it. He's "Cobra de Aço!" Oh, now he's "Bombardier!"

You will not kill my buzz on FSS 2 with your logic.

Hey! I'm trying to talk myself out of getting not just two sets like last time, but a full set altogether. I preordered the 6 I really wanted from BBTS already, just in case I want to cancel one or two and not do a sub. But I want roughly half, which makes it more sensible to get the damned set yet again. :(

Those fuckers are intentionally kicking off FSS2.0 before the FSS1.0 "Mystery 13th Figure" shows up on doorsteps. I mean, if rumors are right (and they usually are with leaked figures) I don't give a damn about Blackout anyways, but I think it's a tad shitty that they couldn't wait ONE MORE WEEK so folks could get the last shipment of FSS1.0 and find out who the 13th figure was. It's not like we waited 2 years for FSS1.0. What's another week? That's another deciding factor for a lot of folks, and the incentive for buying the full set versus cherry-picking if they want less than 50% of the set.

BEAM

Avoids Responsibility
Apr 12, 2013
Rhode Island
My one complaint is TF Shipwreck and Airtight should have thier Brazilian names on the stand and card art. If it's a foreign figure update so acknowledge that aspect of it's history.

And why wasn't Bombardier given Flash's laser rifle and backpack to make it a true update?

I don't mind the character selection but it's the little details that bother me. If you're going to give us true ME updates, go all the way or not at all.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
But... but, a lot of them DO have poor taste and they are assholes!

Lol...no kidding...but they don't know that...their ego is what gets hurt, I hope...

No way. MOTUC is WAY too far along now for me to even bother. Lah-lah-lah-lah-lah. Not listening! *sticks fingers in ears*
*Yelling* No it's not!...*hits MRs hands* would, would you get your fingers out of your ears you idiot...if you are at all like me, you'll only want 20-30 figures...that's not difficult at all to catch up on...and once you get a few and see how awesome they are, you'll look forward to getting more...

MOTUC? I thought they had a number of QC issues. I didn't think that's what Eddie was referring to...

Maybe QC, but the decos are all spot on...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The prices aren't too bad honestly...most of the ones I've picked up recently were $40 or less shipped...and when I only desire 30 or less figures to complete MY collection, even the slightly more pricey ones were justifiable...and if you're patient, even the ridiculously priced ones can be found for less scalpery prices...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
But, how can you resist all those ripped shirtless dudes?!...I put a gloss coat on all of the exposed skin to make them look sweaty...SEXSAY!

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
The prices aren't too bad honestly...most of the ones I've picked up recently were $40 or less shipped...and when I only desire 30 or less figures to complete MY collection, even the slightly more pricey ones were justifiable...and if you're patient, even the ridiculously priced ones can be found for less scalpery prices...

But you complain about Joe prices - how is "under $40" not too bad?

But, how can you resist all those ripped shirtless dudes?!...I put a gloss coat on all of the exposed skin to make them look sweaty...SEXSAY!

Oh, right. :rainbow::pirate:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
But you complain about Joe prices - how is "under $40" not too bad?
Oh, right. :rainbow::pirate:

I can easily see how under $40 isn't bad for aftermarket, non-club-direct pricing. They're huge figures compared to Joes, and in large packaging. And each figure comes with a lot of new sculpting generally, and they pay attention to details.

I'm actually really jealous of most MOTUC collections, I just can't start on 'em.

Considering we get Joes, the day of the Joe Convention, that are carded going immediately for $200? That's 800% markup. For a 4" toy. That's essentially a repaint.

Fuck limited numbers, even loose/bagged Footloose and Dial-Tones go for over $100-200 sometimes, and they produced quite a few of those. Maybe not as many as MOTUC, but those are internet-only and never hit retail except a few in those DC/MOTUC versus sets.

Hellion42

Meat Shield
May 1, 2013
Side 7
I gotta say... the club irritates me in a lot of ways, but repainting isn't one of them. As long as it's done well I don't mind. When you get right down to it, most official Joes are the same way. I think the problem with a lot of FFS2 is the source material. Widescope looks great construction wise, but he's a character not many people care about that looks suspiciously like Shockwave. So he gets trashed for being a repaint when that is t really the problem IMO. The subteam repaints and Bombardier have their target audience, and for them they're great. For others, not so much.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I don't mind the repaints either. It's the shortcuts I mind. Also like somebody said, I think BEAM, the international guys should be named correctly. Don't call that figure shipwreck. Call him Majuto or whatever the fuck his name is.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I don't have a problem with repaints either...I DO have a problem with repaints that cost $30 (at the lowest) though...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Well even the ARAH line basically repeated characters over and over again and gave them different names as the year wore on.

I have a feeling they've almost tapped the figures that ANYONE cares about at this point.

For the 50th they should really just start over with the newest tooling on the original 13 figures and make that the FSS.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I'm more forgiving of the more clever kitbashes, like Dragonsky (does he have ANY new tooling? I can't tell... Seems like maybe some but I get lost on most of that VvV era crap) or Desert Scorpion. Hell, two of my most-wanted figures are a Sunbow-deco Flint and Dusty, and that's a simple repaint.

I think for the pricetag, these guys need more effort put into them. You can do a good repaint/FrankenJoe without making them lackluster sub-team guys like Falcon, Airtight or Shipwreck. Reserve that shit for box sets.

I think a good Sub would consist of 75% desirable figures with a few guys like that tossed in as filler. Being 50/50 is going to piss people off fast, burn them out, and not get the longevity that the Club needs to sustain an FSS for more than a few years. They need more than just the "Gotta Buy Everything!" asshats chipping in. A figure like Bombardier needs to be the 13th figure, for example. That would be a pretty good slot for something like him.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Not that I was buying them anyways, but I would be concerned over the photoshopped heads on Tollbooth and cesspool.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
For the 50th they should really just start over with the newest tooling on the original 13 figures and make that the FSS.

YES YES YE.. NOOOOOOOO

I love the idea, but keep them the fuck away from the club. I want a 50th anny box set at retail

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Ultimate 13 ftw. Technically, you only completed the 25th one if you were willing to buy that $50 battle pack o repaints to which I wasn't. Updated looks with the original colors could be awesome.